The Wm08 Module Vs The Wireless Headphones

RobNC

Hey everybody. Since I have bought the Equinox 800 as all of you know it comes with the WM08 module. I really don't hear of anyone much using that module. Minelab claims it has 17ms latency. Supposedly the AptX LL headphones have around 40ms latency.  Coming from a computer/networking background I do realize there is a difference between these numbers. But in the real world of using the Equinox has anyone ran the WM08 and found it to be noticeably "quicker" than the wireless headphones? I have only been out on 1 hunt so far with the Equinox 800 and was very pleased and used the headphones. The headphones are very nice, very comfy to wear and have good audio.  However I have a pair of gray ghost headphones I use with my Teknetics T2SE and really like them. I have ordered the headphone adapter cable from Digger's Den (Thanks again Brian for having the best price) and plan to try out the WM08 with the trusty gray ghosts. I don't feel it is necessary to baby the gray ghosts vs I do feel the minelab wireless headphones need more care and gentle handling.

So again I ask, has anyone else used the WM08 and found it to be better in some way? It seems it is a waste to not put the module to work. Call it ignorance, but I want the lowest latency possible.

Some claim to be able to tell the difference, but anything less than 50 ms is generally  imperceptible to most people. 

The problem I have found with the WM08 module is that it is a little finicky about placement.  It wants to have a clear line of site to the control head to prevent dropouts.  Some folks attach it to their hat to accomplish this or use a very short run of cable between the headphones and the module (the Gray Ghost NDT's are ideal for this because they have removable headphone cords and you can order a short (<1ft) Mini-XLR to mini-plug patch cable and attach the WM08 to the headphones themselves to give them clear line of site to the control head.  The ML headphone adapter + regular length Gray Ghost headphone cable means you have to stuff all that cable somewhere even if you plan to wear the WM08 on your waist so it is a doable but a little unwieldy. 

When it is all said and done, the WM08 makes a great backup solution if your BT headphones take a dump, but the BT headphones perform just fine as far as latency is concerned IMO (you would have noticed it already if it was going to really bother you - really only comes into play when moving the coil for target wiggle off pinpointing or locking in a signal amongst the trash).  The only way I would switch over to WM08 is if I felt the GG audio (or the audio from whatever wired phones I was using) was noticeably superior to the included BT phones - and some do feel the BT phone audio falls short.  I don't fall into that camp.  I also have hooked up a BT transmitter to my GPX so I can use the same BT APTX LL headphones for either my Equinox or my GPX.

HTH

• Like 3

Basically I use the WM08 if I want to use earbuds.  If I'm hunting in water i will often seal up the WM08 in a couple plastic bags and tuck it in my waders pocket (inside the waders). I dont like using the bluetooth headphones over water.  I could still flood the module inside my waders but its pretty unlikely,  a chance I'll take. Sometimes prospecting I like to wear a wide brimmed hat and will use earbuds.  

I never notice a difference in lag, so it is always a choice of earbuds or headphones. I like the minelab headphones more than I thought I would. 

• Like 2

I used the WM08 with my Killer Bees on my last beach hunt.  They really came in hand when you  need to block the outside noise, especially the roar of the surf.  I think you will be satisfied with using both.  After 2 years I'm still 100% satisfied with my Equinox.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RobNC said:

Call it ignorance, but I want the lowest latency possible.

Nothing ignorant about that.Then you should use the module, that’s what it is made for. :smile:

Those cheap little headphones are tougher than you think. Mine are the oldest in the country. Padding edges may pull out but mine have seen a lot of use and even been run over and are still doing fine. I use them 99% of the time over the module myself. Wireless headphones are one of the best things that ever happened in detecting.

• Like 3

I use the WM08 module exclusively.  Lacky mentioned earbuds and that is my summer configuration.  But in cool/cold weather when headphones help keep my ears warm I like the WM08 + Sunray Pro Gold (traditional version, since that's what I have -- can't comment on the CTX3030 version).  The volume with the Pro Golds is greater than my other aftermarket headphones (I'm sure there's a reason but I don't know what it is).  The White's ProStars and Garrett MS-2's are decent with the WM08 but I prefer the extra volume capapility.  Of all the combinations I've listed above the Pro Golds are best at blocking out ambient noise, too.

The ML80 headphones that come with the Eqx 800 have built in amplification but the tone range (audio frequency / pitch range) isn't as pleasing to my ears&brain.

I can't speak to the latency difference as I've never investigated it.  As far as the chord goes, I just let it dangle.  I've thought about tying it up but haven't gotten around to trying that.  The short chord option of the Gray Ghost NDT's that Chase mentions does sound nice, though.  I've never noticed significant drop out when keeping the WM08 in a breast pocket.  With line-of-sight I can get 30 m away without dropout.  When I turn around (apparently my body is shielding the EM signal) the distance is reduced drastically to a couple/few meters.  This argues against keeping it in a back pocket or backpack.

Bottom line as always is go what best fits your needs/desires/tendencies.

• Like 3

I may have used the ML80 a dozen times, I don't care for the tone/pitch myself. I use either APTX LL wireless earbuds or the WM08 with wired buds. I carry the WM08 in my front pants pocket and run the wire down the back of my shirt, no dangling wires to fuss with. I use some $9 Panasonics I bought on Amazon that had a 80,000 user feedback and the volume is plenty loud enough for me.  In the winter I wear a  beanie to keep my ears warm. I do have a pair of Killer B's, but, I never use them.  I always carry 2 pairs of each just in case one takes a dump on me.

• Like 3

Thanks for starting this post,just bought a brand new module for a crazy low price,i currently use BT headphones and must admit the last all day and the audio quality is superb,main reason for buying the module is that i can use my full cup headphones that totally shuts out all external sounds and also a backup just incase.

I was looking for another charging cable so that i can have one at home and carry a spare for my battery bank in the truck,the price i paid for the WM08 was just a little more than a charge cable on its own,so that is another reason i bought it.

Great also reading on how other members use them,so thanks for sharing folks.

If you own two pairs of same headphones (e.g. iphone ones), simple experiment will give you a clue what is 17ms latency is.
Once set of headphones goes into Nox control unit.
Other set goes into WM08 and paired.
When WM08 is paired, sound is taken away from the speaker, but not the headphones jack in the control unit.
Now put one earphone from one pair into one ear and another earphone from another pair.
There is a very very subtle doubling to be heard, the sound is a little not round.
Also direct connection to control box sounds richer than out of WM08 module.

Best regards

• Like 1

I use the module pretty much all the time! Weather I'm using the wireless headphones or some other brand! I have found what Chase said about module placement is correct! I have a rainproof cellphone jogging arm band that I put the module in! Than put it on my detecting arm for line of sight! 

I've had issues with the 800's wireless headphones not pairing, or unpairing, and carry a light set of xp's for backup! But i only use the 800's in cooler weather, or loud wind / surf conditions! I have others i use with an adapter for the wireless module!👍👍