Eq800 Update Or Not?

RobNC

Upgrading to new firmware for Equinox ... takes about 2-3 minutes max ... You can always return to old 1.5.0 firmware at any time .. for another 2-3 minutes ..

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s the locations chosen, hours of detecting, and your expertise that brings home the goods, not which particular software version you are using.

truer words were never spoken...

• Like 1

All versions will keep you finding stuff. But I afraid you will have to spend considerable time using the detector before you can spot differences of each firmware.
I have same paranoia a little when flashing it. Just make sure the cable is snug, detector does not fall by itself and so on.
People recommend to do Factory reset before the update and after.

Procedure is fairly simple:
Detector off.
Press and hold power button until you see FP.
Turn the detector off.
Connect and flash detector to desired firmware.
Turn the detector off after flashing.
Press and hold power button until you see FP.
Set your settings.
Ready to go 🙂

I went ahead and flashed the newest software update. Did some "air testing" afterwards. Seemed stable and well behaved. Did FP before update and after just for good measure.  Messed around a little with the notch breakpoints. Wanted quarters to sing out at the highest pitch instead of possibly  falling into T4. Maybe not a good idea but want to try it out.

Took the Equinox out today to a couple "hunted out" junk holes before the update. Dug some nice pulltabs and can slaw. I knew better than to dig those numbers but was trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel. The conditions were very bad in that 1st place. Down at 10 inches one target laid that was showing 30 and faint, out it came and was a rusty old bolt head looked like. There was also actual coal in this particular hole. In ages past, they used coal to heat the old school. Have hunted this old school many times this year with the ORX and T2. The ORX did find that small silver kid ring in the ground of this area. Pretty sure that place has been hunted before by many others long before I ever detected it.

Not wanting to waste anymore time at that place went down the road a piece to a newer school. Have detected this one a few times also with other detectors. Nothing but clad on those old hunts and some little bling like things. Today was the day of small cans. Was getting 25-26 repeatable signal. The little cans like potted meat cans looked like. Dug 3 of them, all down in excess of 7 inches. Dug some nice can slaw, a pull tab, then finally hit a couple clad dimes. Then out in a larger field hit a clad quarter. Walked over to the other wood chip area and found 2 more clad dimes and another clad quarter(8 inches down in mineralized clay). My shoulder was cutting up so it was time to go. Not a total wipe out but I certainly did have to work for these meager things today. I did think today would be a day without any finds at all worth speaking of. Luckily the Equinox came through. Not the unit, the location sucked and maybe I did too a bit.

I will say that these 2 places are difficult to hunt, and they have been with everything I've used up until today. To find anything of value is an accomplishment. The Equinox did come through today and punched down into the ground deeper than other detectors have. The soil is difficult in a lot of spots also. I'm confident the Equinox is the right unit, but there is a lot for me to learn with it. This is going to take some time. Nothing but Park 1 today with minor modifications, mainly in tone pitches.  I don't foresee myself going back to those 2 spots and if I do it will be quite a while.

• Like 5