How Does The Pi-iKing Compare To Other Scuba Detectors?

How does the PI-iKing compare to other scuba detectors?

My son is forever dropping things from his yacht (including keys, phones, tools, fishing rods, spearguns etc).. Although he’s a good scuba diver and spear-fisherman, where his yacht is anchored at the mouth of a tidal river the visibility is always close to zero.. Although he’s had a couple of successful duck-dives, he’s found the best way to recover lost metallic items has been to attach a powerful Neodymium recovery magnet (pulling force of 68 kg) to a rope and trawling it behind his tender.. I must admit his ingenuity surprised me, he definitely doesn’t get that from me (just the butter-fingers)..

But however good ‘magnet fishing’ turns out to be, he’d like a cheap waterproof detector to increase his recovery arsenal.. there’s no way that I’ll lend him my Equinox (it hasn’t even arrived yet).. but if he gets a PI-iKing I will borrow it for here on the island (could be just what I’m looking for to search under the jetty at Picnic Bay and shallow wrecks).. This thing is waterproof to -30 metres and runs at 20.28 kHz.. I’m not sure why they call it a Pulse Induction detector? Could that be true? Or do they add ‘PI’ to the label just to entice suckers like me? 

PI-iKing 750.jpg

Cost plays a big role here, the IP-iKing is around $120.. the video looks good BUT will this cheap 'knock-off' last as long as other scuba detectors made by better known brands? 

The PI-iKing seems to be hot on lead sinkers.. another fortune to be made..

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hard to say how a copy of the Treasure Products Vibra-Tector 740 would perform

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

They call it a pulse induction detector because it is

Wow.. I'm going to buy a PI-iKing for my son's xmas present.. if only so i can borrow a real PI detector.. do you think it could be good on gold considering the 20.28 kHz? am thinking gold prospecting in deep pools in freshwater creeks as well as the ocean..

It is a Chinese copy so you have no idea what you are actually getting. PI detectors are not normally rated in kHz so it may be a VLF posing as a PI. Assuming it is a PI however it is a pinpointer designed for use in saltwater so it would be detuned on smaller gold. It is made to find coin and ring size targets.

Basic pulse induction is old school and you are associating the term with modern high end gold detectors. This is not remotely in the same class so don’t let It being a PI wow you.

If you get one please let us know what you think.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

PI detectors are not normally rated in kHz so it may be a VLF posing as a PI

It turns out the PI-iKing 750 is rated at 6.8 kHz.. This is according to the manufacturer KKmoon (see details below).. this is different to the 20.28 kHz show by some Chinese sellers on ebay.. maybe the one above is a copy of a copy? the depths it gets according to the specs are not too encouraging but maybe that doesn't matter too much on the seafloor.. in my local areas the seafloor looks much the same as in the first video and that dude is not digging/scraping too deep..  

PI-iKing 750

Features:
Underwater Metal Detecting - Detect the exact location of buried metal objects.
Pulse Induction Technology(PI)- Allow hunting metal in water, on land or in any type of soil, including black sand.
Communicate with Vibration & Light - LED light signal indicator and vibration indicate the detection of metal.
Stable Detection Depth - Advanced circuitry maintains detection distance throughout the life of the battery.
Easy to Use - Tilt to turn on/off and convenient to carry with holster.
Target Distancing - As you get closer to the target, the pulse of vibration and light will increase in intensity.
Automatic Tuning - The state of the art microprocessor controlled design requires no adjustment of any kind.
Fully 98ft Waterproof Design - Special sealed design allows detection in the rain or underwater, perfect for divers!

Specifications:
Brand Name: KKmoon
Color: Yellow + Black
Material: ABS Plastic
Detection Mode: Pulse Induction (PI)
Detect Objects: All Metal(Iron, aluminium ring, small aluminium product, coins, gold, bronze, silver)
Alarm Mode: Vibration & White LED Light
Water Resistant Level: 30M/98ft Waterproof
Tuning: Automatic 
Sensitivity: 25 cents coin: 10mm; one dollar coin: 15mm
Frequency: 6.8KHz
Current: Standby: 8mA, Max.: 20mA
Operating Current: 0.03A
Operating Voltage: 9V
Operating Temperature: -5℃ to +55℃
Battery: 1 * 6F22 9V Battery (Not Included)

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Assuming it is a PI however it is a pinpointer designed for use in saltwater so it would be detuned on smaller gold

Thanks Steve for helping me sort out the differences between scuba detectors (and PI vs kHz)..

This detector would be used on scuba rather than 'free diving' to allow more bottom time and minimising the chance of loosing targets by having to constantly go up to catch a breath.. unlike my son my breath holding capacity isn't all that great..  

I had to laugh when i revisited the manufacturers' homepage (KKmoon) where the promotional pictures directly contradict what you just said.. If you believe what you see then the 'PI' - IkING has no trouble finding large gold nuggets (even if you have to crawl on your belly to find them)..     

If i do decide to buy it for my son, finding gold is not the main consideration.. judging by the videos it could be a cheap handy tool for what he has in mind.. 

s-l1600.jpg