Seems A New Metal Detector Named Cygnus 1x Coming To Market

The guy is supposedly in Maryland and uses the name Avitech. Some Google work....

https://www.linkedin.com/company/avitech-technologies

https://avitechtechnologies.com

This may or not be the Avitech referred to but if it is it would lend a little credence to it all. Why all the secrecy though if it is the case? Just say “my name is and my company is.....”

I hope it’s for real and wish them well but since it’s triggering my cynic alarm so much I’d best just step away from this one until something actually develops. Everything about it really does remind me too much of the Pulse Devil.

To offer a little perspective here. Companies that have been doing this for a long time generally take about 5 years or more to bring a genuinely new product to market with product development and testing. Banging out a "new" VLF is no big deal as anyone has the ability to produce old tech quickly but genuinely new stuff is usually more than a few month process.

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a little of "all of the above," plus more like trouble with component suppliers and downright manufacturing complexity. Everything that could go wrong did so all the way through the process.

Seriously, I think we all need to step back a moment and realize just how difficult it is to produce a product in today's marketplace. There are so many factors involved. R&D, collaboration's, mon

I exchanged a few emails with Richard early on and my impression was that he was the sole designer. The TNet "associates" gave input on desired features/performance and were to eventually field test t

14 hours ago, Skate said:

So let's say this new detector somehow someway is a game changer, identifies targets down to 16", you always know what you're digging, pulltabs and bottle caps are discriminated out, makes detecting so easy a caveman could do it. How good would it actually be for the hobby? This isn't a slight on this new machine but just a general thought. If the technology suddenly becomes so good that you don't need much if any skill to find stuff then what becomes of the hobby?

Coincidentally (and I don't purport to telepathy, rather the opposite) I was thinking along similar lines yesterday while out detecting, and before seeing this post.  Here's what I was wondering:

Do humans add to the process when out metal detecting?  Do we use our brains as disriminators, target identifiers, etc.?  If so, then what's to stop manufacturerers from replacing this with artificial intelligence?  This could be as simple as improved signal processing.  And if the 'bots' get better than humans at it (don't scoff; there's a pile of scattered, bleached bones left from the naysayers of many AI accomplishments) will it hurt the hobby, help it, or be net neutral?

As far as the current thread's intended purpose, I'll keep my mouth shut and let the process take its course.  But am I missing something?  All I've seen is a claim of "you won't believe what I'm developing!" and a few bandwagon jumpers.  'Few' may already be an exaggeration, but certainly one in particular.  (OK, I kept my mouth shut by my fingers refused to rest.  😁)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Folks, mocking what is going on over at TNET with this AviTech effort is probably just as bad as falling head over heals for it. 

I am taking a pragmatic view and trying to gather clues from the posts as to what is really going on.  There are some people involved in the project that I would not consider to be gullible by any stretch of the imagination, so whatever the project lead has shown these people appears to be convincing to them. 

Like I said, I made direct contact with the lead designer/project manager and we'll see what comes of that from the standpoint of being able to see or test the technology.  I am skeptical, of course, because based on this being in serious development for just a few months, it is hard to see how this can get off the ground with production units flowing around March 2020, which is the tentative goal.  Though they supposedly have hardware production locked in, the project lead is still soliciting component manufacturers that can deliver at lower cost than the ones he has lined up.So from a project management standpoint, even if the technology is perfected, this really looks tenuous and unrealistic in terms of getting a working unit on the streets in that time frame.   

I have no idea what technology is forming the basis for the unit and the claims, but based on the clues I can gather from the posts and AviTech's linked-in page, appears to be some sort of Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR)/induction based hybrid.  Concerns with this are obviously, cost, weight, power requirements, the user interface, the user learning curve, and if it is some sort of EHF emitter - user safety and getting an FCC type certification which does not happen over night, plus it still appears that he is seeking but has not yet obtained patent protection.  All of this does not bode well for success on this timeline, but since I am not investing my own time or dollars in this development, I have no problem taking a wait and see attitude and seeing what these folks come up with.  At least it will be interesting to watch this whether it fully takes off or goes down in flames.  As long as no humans or animals are harmed in the process, I am ok with a few nails, pull tabs, foil pieces, and bottle caps dying for the cause.  :biggrin:

Chase, I'm fine with someone trying to take a different approach and come up with something new, great with it in fact,  and fine with people getting excited about it.  It was all the hype combined with the out in 4 months projection that gave it the snake oil feel.

I hope they do have a different approach and its fantastic,  but I expect it will be LONG delayed,  and/or the early buyers will be paying for the privilege of doing product testing and development. 

22 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The guy is supposedly in Maryland and uses the name Avitech. Some Google work....

https://www.linkedin.com/company/avitech-technologies

https://avitechtechnologies.com

This may or not be the Avitech referred to but if it is it would lend a little credence to it all. Why all the secrecy though if it is the case? Just say “my name is and my company is.....”

I hope it’s for real and wish them well but since it’s triggering my cynic alarm so much I’d best just step away from this one until something actually develops. Everything about it really does remind me too much of the Pulse Devil.

To offer a little perspective here. Companies that have been doing this for a long time generally take about 5 years or more to bring a genuinely new product to market with product development and testing. Banging out a "new" VLF is no big deal as anyone has the ability to produce old tech quickly but genuinely new stuff is usually more than a few month process.

Thanks for the links Steve!

I will try to keep an open mind for now and just wait and see what develops.

4 hours ago, Lacky said:

Chase, I'm fine with someone trying to take a different approach and come up with something new, great with it in fact,  and fine with people getting excited about it.  It was all the hype combined with the out in 4 months projection that gave it the snake oil feel.

I hope they do have a different approach and its fantastic,  but I expect it will be LONG delayed,  and/or the early buyers will be paying for the privilege of doing product testing and development. 

Agree.  There's a difference between mocking and skepticism.  Your previous post was merely raising healthy skepticism and doubt, not mocking, so my comment was not directed your way.   Was just starting to see some derisive comments aimed at TNET and the AviTech crowd and that does not do anyone any good.  If you look at established detector companies with strong engineering talent, production infrastructure, and see how long it takes them to get some products off the ground, it really doesn't bode well for success here.  We'll see how this goes.

• Like 4

A developer who will not share his identity and qualifications without someone signing an NDA is pretty odd. His Linkdin page has no relevant info on education, previous technical/work experience, etc.

Very odd.

• Like 3

I must point out that just because I used Google and came up with one out of many companies with that name that seemed to be a match, there is zero evidence at all there is any association except for the name. The is also an AviTech in Maryland that lays floors. This guy is hiding his name and connections and that alone is a red flag. Maybe he wants us to assume a connection to this company where none exists. Long story short don't assume based on my post of a link that it is a genuine connection at all until more evidence is provided. I see it getting spread around as if it is fact and it is not.

Whatever, I really do need to just stay out of this one. There is no need to believe or not believe, to have an open mind or not. What will happen will happen whether I have an open mind or not, and until there is an actual product with specs to look at it’s all just talk.

• Like 3

Well we all get a little bit of advancement with new technology but no way would somebody  design a detector that has all the bells & whistles that we all need. If it can do all the tasks we want their would be no need to buy another detector. It wont happen even if it could be done.

• Like 1