Nokta Fors CoRe Malfunction Question

Sent an email off to Nokta 2 days ago haven't gotten a response (probably due to the weekend and different time zones), don't think I can call their number in Turkey with my phone though so not sure how else to get a hold of them. I don't have my manual with me and I'm hoping I can figure out some way to get the machine working again since I need to use it right now.

I was detecting for a few minutes, it was working ok, then I noticed that all the settings had reset to stock, I tried upping the sensitivity with no luck and realized that no settings were able to be changed. So I turned the machine off and back on and now it's just stuck on the "system information" screen with the operating and gui versions, serial #, etc and the VDI screen in the handle stopped working at the same time.

*Also I had been hiking around maybe 2 miles in the rain with the machine on my shoulder, not sure if that is what did it. I figured since the coil was waterproof and all the external stuff has sealed rubber boots it'd be ok in the rain though. Did I screw up there?

I'm hoping there is just some way to reset the machine and get it back working again quickly...? I removed the batteries a few times, once I left them out for 10 mins, turned it off and on quite a few times and was trying to press buttons in any sort of combo that might do a firmware reset (if such a thing is even possible) with no luck.

Anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Hey jason

Did you have the rain protectors on the box and handle? I know my fors gold is very sealed up everywhere but I dont think it is a good idea to go out in the rain without the rain protectors on. I dont know of any reset. But if you emailed dilek@noktadetectors then you should hear something back very quickly. They are 10 hours ahead of us on the west coast. I think so late this evening should be their monday and dilek will help you.

Good luck, I hope everything works out.

I didn't get rain protectors, maybe they only come with the pro-pack? Hmm, well if it was the rain that did it I guess we need to be ultra-careful around moisture because I was mostly under trees trying not to get too wet myself since I was planning to detect all day. 

I'll try emailing Dilek if I don't hear from them over night, I sent an email to the contact info on their website since I was at 10,000ft and struggling to get a bar of 1X data since I didn't want to leave and go home and thats the first email address I ran across so sent it off and sat down and crossed my fingers and waited on the side of the mountain hahaha oh well.

Well anyways, my prospecting trip is aborted. Didn't get a chance to see how it did on nuggets but nefore I left for the mountains I was taking it around to my friend's old yards I had detected to death over the last 20 years and I was pretty impressed with the stuff it was finding that I missed before, target separation was great and its pretty deep even in DI2, this thing should kill it in trashy gold sites, square nails were hitting dead on 20 every time so the VDI seems good too. I did get some gold in a yard - a gold molar, which is kinda weird haha but its gold I'll take it.

Man, what a bummer you had to cut your trip short. From what I've read about Nokta, you shouldn't have any problems with their customer service. Nice to hear another good report on the performance of that machine. It is going to be my next detector purchase. Good luck!

In the old days if I was detecting and I didnt have a rain protector kit for some of my older detectors I would wrap up my detector control box with a kitchen trash bag or somethin like it. It looked stupid but I could keep detecting in the rain.

You should get some help from dilek at nokta real soon. Hopefully they can get you back detecting quickly.

sorry to hear of your problems, hopefully it dries out a starts working for you. Im sure Nokta will take good care of you soon. good luck getting it working again

Sent an email off to Nokta 2 days ago haven't gotten a response (probably due to the weekend and different time zones), don't think I can call their number in Turkey with my phone though so not sure how else to get a hold of them. I don't have my manual with me and I'm hoping I can figure out some way to get the machine working again since I need to use it right now.

I was detecting for a few minutes, it was working ok, then I noticed that all the settings had reset to stock, I tried upping the sensitivity with no luck and realized that no settings were able to be changed. So I turned the machine off and back on and now it's just stuck on the "system information" screen with the operating and gui versions, serial #, etc and the VDI screen in the handle stopped working at the same time.

*Also I had been hiking around maybe 2 miles in the rain with the machine on my shoulder, not sure if that is what did it. I figured since the coil was waterproof and all the external stuff has sealed rubber boots it'd be ok in the rain though. Did I screw up there?

I'm hoping there is just some way to reset the machine and get it back working again quickly...? I removed the batteries a few times, once I left them out for 10 mins, turned it off and on quite a few times and was trying to press buttons in any sort of combo that might do a firmware reset (if such a thing is even possible) with no luck.

Anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Hello..this Dilek from Nokta. There may be a disconnection or a short with one of the cables in the system box. If there is a disconnection, it will be easily resolved. If there is a short, this may have been caused by the rain if it went inside the system box. Please send me your email address at dilek@noktadetectors.com and I will further assist you with instructions. Should you need any repair work, Kellyco is currently our repair center in the USA.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here is a bit of an update for any curious:

Kellyco replaced my detector with a new one, though it took quite some time to get it. The first detector had firmware issues right out of the box which I didn't know were not normal until I received the second detector, it didn't have to do with the rain. Also the "+" switch malfunctioned which I didn't mention before.

Unfortunately the second detector also had issues right out of the box too. The volume control did not work, it would adjust in the software but the volume stayed stuck at full blast, which is far too loud for headphones for my ears. It also ran ratty, like I was detecting over hot ground but only in the mild soil of my front yard, the coil also seemed very sensitive to touch.

So I've got my 3rd detector today and thankfully everything seems to work!

Unfortunately, I bought this detector in July to prospect a few specific high alpine locations where my PI's don't work for various reasons, and it is now September. No bueno... I had been waiting for the Gold Racer but I needed a good VLF with a VDI immediately for a couple areas I can only prospect in a very limited time window which is now expired...

It appears to me there may be some kinks both on the QC and customer service side to work out. Though I will say that Kellyco did make it right to me and next day air out my 3rd machine after I finally got someone to return my call and explained my frustrations. But there were also 8 or 9 calls that went completely unreturned before that too and many many weeks of waiting on nothing, so no gold star...

Anyways, there it is. Another person told me he had the same issue as my first machine had and returned it too. I know these can be great machines, and from what little I've used mine in my front yard I'm impressed with the depth, speed, and target separation. But its just too excessive to lose that much prospecting time trying to get a working machine IMO for me to give it a good review overall. I'm sure for 99% of other people it will be a great machine though.