Vanquish 340 Preliminary Review

Do not search the Wanquish 340-" entry detector Level" all available and adjustable features ... that have Top Detectors available ..

Fixed Iron Bias doesn't mean you can't detect in the iron ... but on the contrary eliminates a lot of iron waste --bottle caps,nails..... so you can detect "Good signals"  Ferous and Nonferous  -faster if it is sometimes at the cost of deteriorated separation ....but not ... in every  case ...

In the program ... "Allmetal" can search all kinds of objects ..

Many good detectors on fixed Iron bias and allow effective detection...

Iron bias - is not just a filter of iron ... it is a filter of very short signals - from objects, mineralization, Emi ..

30 minutes ago, 67GTA said:

The 340 and 440 only have high iron bias so it will try to discriminate out all iron. The 540 is the only model that has low iron bias setting and will let large iron through while still blocking nails.

So for my kind of ww2 relic hunting the 340 is useless. Maybe the Simplex is a better option.

32 minutes ago, Wester said:

So for my kind of ww2 relic hunting the 340 is useless. Maybe the Simplex is a better option.

I think you're probably right. I watched the utube videos from iffy signals and bill ladd's dig fellas on the 540 and the simplex. One target that iffy signals showed (I think Bill edited that segment) was a large metal rod that the simplex was hitting when it was checked with the 540 it didn't reply in the high iron bias but did in the low iron bias setting. Bill laughingly commented something about oh you don't want to find big relics. So I think you're right about the 340/440 not being relic machines but the 540 gives you the ability to see or not see the big iron which the simplex cannot.

53 minutes ago, Tometusns said:

So I think you're right about the 340/440 not being relic machines but the 540 gives you the ability to see or not see the big iron which the simplex cannot.

I think you maybe right in that assessment since the Vanquish 540 does have the low and high iron bias settings. However, if I wanted a more serious relic detector and was considering the Vanquish 540 for that task I would also have to consider the Equinox 600 for a little more money, especially a used one since all the Nox are still under transferable 3 year warranty. 

I have not used the Simplex yet. I can only go on what I have seen in comparison videos, reviews and my personal experience with the Nokta Makro Kruzers and Anfibios which are outstanding metal detectors. However, compared to the Multi IQ, simultaneous multi frequency Equinox, the Kruzer and Anfibio were not as good at identifying deep targets correctly and they suffered from very jumpy numerical target IDs and depth loss in moderate to high mineralization. In milder soil the overall depth ability of the Nox and Kruzer/Anfibio were virtually identical for me as was recovery speed and target separation but numerical target ID accuracy was still better on the Equinox and may be on the Vanquish 540 compared to the Simplex too for the same Multi IQ reason.  So, the Simplex should be a very good relic detector in the right soil conditions. From my experience with the totally entry level Vanquish 340 in moderate to high mineralization, it has way above average numerical target ID accuracy and will go plenty deep and can identify ferrous vs. non-ferrous just fine on deeper targets by using the very handy horseshoe button as phrunt has suggested.

• Like 2

Even with the 540 you can't "turn off" the iron discrimination. The Vanquish series are better suited for clean yards and beaches. The Simplex would be better in WW2 situations, but in my experience, it is hard to get a decent relic machine for less than $500-600. The Simplex has depth in field mode, but crappy separation. In coin mode it has fast separation, but loses a lot of depth. There is no in between.

6 minutes ago, 67GTA said:

Even with the 540 you can't "turn off" the iron discrimination. The Vanquish series are better suited for clean yards and beaches. The Simplex would be better in WW2 situations, but in my experience, it is hard to get a decent relic machine for less than $500-600. The Simplex has depth in field mode, but crappy separation. In coin mode it has fast separation, but loses a lot of depth. There is no in between.

Another way of saying this is you can't set any Vanquish model on zero "0"  iron bias. You can hunt with no iron targets rejected by using the horseshoe button and hunting in All Metal accepted mode.

Jeff

I already have a Makro Multi Kruzer wich is fine. But i want a cheap detector for in the German woods. I dont want to spend more than 300 dollars on it because of the chance of being confiscated. I dont want to lose a nox or kruzer.

The Multi Kruzer is a great detector. If you want something cheaper and similar then the Simplex would be a great choice. If you want something in the same price range, the Vanquish 440 or 540 would give you the Multi IQ platform which really is outstanding on depth and target ID. The Vanquish 340 is about as good as it gets for a true beginner, entry level detector under $200 but I would go with the 440 or 540 for your purposes since they have more features and are upper entry level detectors for sure.

Jeff

• Like 1