Vanquish 340 Preliminary Review

Do you want wireless headphones? The regular Vanquish 540 for $369 doesn't come with headphones. The Simplex for $340 does. You would have to bump it up to $499 for the Vanquish Pro pack to get headphones. I hate that because the multi IQ tech is really awesome.

Wester, if you already have a Kruzer with wireless headphones, the blue or green ones should work on the Simplex too so you wouldn't need to buy the higher priced Simplex HP.  

The V10 coil on the 340 is really nice so if I was buying a Vanquish for my only detector OR if I didn't have a Nox 600, I would get the pro pack 540 too. Those Minelab wireless headphones are better than OK. I'm using a Deteknix Quest wireless system with the 340. It works fine.

Did some more work with the 340 today in semi-frozen ground (34 F for the high temp today) in Coin Mode. If I get the coil over a good non-ferrous target, the 340 will have nice, tight numbers 2 or 3 digit alternating, just like the Equinox and the tones will be solid, unbroken and clear. No need to investigate any further, just dig.

If the tones sound sort of good and do not change pitch, but with a little stuttering or crackle and the numbers are bit jumpy I just press the mode button until I get to All Metal and check for iron and do a very small directional shift to investigate the target from a different angle. Just takes two really quick button presses on the 340. If I hear any iron close to the target at all I move on unless the numbers tighten up right over the target. That happened today on two US nickels which were reading 11,12,13 14 with somewhat broken tones. I checked for iron and it was there too. The numbers were good enough to dig however and two nickels with nails nearby was the result. Same happened with a US clad dime.  The numbers were really tight 26, 27 but iron audio was present too. I dug anyway and there was also a 3" long bent nail 2" away from the dime and below it. I do the same thing with the Equinox on iffy targets. I narrow my coil sweep until it is only 2 or 3". If the numbers tighten up I dig. If iron audio is present and the numbers and tones remain iffy I may move on if the target is deep. I'll check those out this summer when the ground and I are not freezing.

If I get high and low tones in Coin or Jewelry Modes on one target, lots of nulling and stuttering audio along with really jumpy numbers, like a 10 or more digit spread and iron audio, it is almost guaranteed to be iron so far. The targets I have dug that responded like that have all been very rusty iron nails and bolts. The Nox behaves very similarly over iron and steel targets. In 5 or 50 tones the Nox can be very symphonic on iron targets.

Jeff

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Another way of saying this is you can't set any Vanquish model on zero "0"  iron bias. You can hunt with no iron targets rejected by using the horseshoe button and hunting in All Metal accepted mode.

Jeff

True - note that even with all metal (no discrimination) selected - iron bias will still affect the target signal regardless, but it will be a stronger iron signal with less falsing if it is on "high".  Note also on the Equinox - "0" iron bias does not mean "No" iron bias.  "0" is just the minimum setting for whichever iron bias filter you are using (FE or F2) but there is still some bias filtering taking place even at "0" setting and "0" FE does not equal "0" F2.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 67GTA said:

You could cancel that order and just get the regular 540 for $369. The only difference in it and the pro pack is the 8 inch coil and headphones.

Agree, especially since the coil is only compatible with Vanquish, not sure you could even unload the coil.  It doesn’t make sense for 340/440 users to get one who have the 10” coil, so that just leaves 540 non-pro pack buyers who made the conscious decision not to get the coil in the first place so your target market segment is almost non-existent. You’d be better off not getting the pro pack.

• Like 1

Maybe the pro pack is indeed a bad idea considering the target market for the coil. The reason i was thinking of it is because in Europe the price for the standard 540 is 439 euro (490 dollars).  The 440 is 339 euro (378 dollars). You guys can get the 540 for that price haha. 

Vanquish 540 pro package is not a bad purchase if you decide to sell a small coil. ... so I think ... on WW1 and WW2 you will need especialy to use a large coil...