Return From Caribbean With Nox & A Little Gold

it is pretty good come in the UK and the light you shall see..........:)

Well done for all the ring

RR

• Like 2

On 12/25/2019 at 12:19 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I thought I was going to be traveling around now and hitting beaches and paying for my trips like I used to do years ago, but the last couple times out have told me differently

Steve, i've been entertaining the same fantasy of spreading my wings a bit and trying to make a go of it on beaches on the mainland, just to see if it is possible to pay for a trip up north.. i go out at least 3 mornings a week and had a lot of luck on the beaches where i am (although its only been coins) as the competition is just one other dude who mainly sticks to his own bay.. but even the beaches where i've had my biggest hauls have now become pretty barren.. i'm planing a trip early next year up the coast to Cairns and hitting the popular backpacker beaches along the way.. there doesn't seem to be too many detector prospectors on these beaches (if any) so living hand-to-mouth on whatever coins i can find could be possible.. 

On a different tangent, i'm a bit concerned about my inability to find jewellery such as rings, bangles or necklaces etc.. i'm digging up everything else you can think of but never a scrap of jewellery.. i'm raking my brains: could it be that no jewellery has ever been dropped on any of these beaches? am i just useless? maybe my Chinese GBP doesn't like the beach and out of spite refuses to tell me where the rings are hidden? Hopefully the new Equinox 600 will arrive next week and i'll get some answers..       

I don't know much about the nature of the beaches you are hunting. Concentrations of people is a must. But deep sand and storm action can take even good beaches and by stirring it all up put the jewelry too deep to find. I have found smaller beaches with relatively shallow sand over hard coral and rock to be more productive than the huge sandy beaches. With a Gold Bug type detector I would concentrate heavily on the "towel line" where people lay out towels and lay in the sun plus any areas where sports like volleyball or Frisbee are taking place.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

storm action can take even good beaches and by stirring it all up put the jewelry too deep to find

Steve, this could be what is happening here.. earlier in the year we had a cyclone which dropped nearly 3 years worth of rain over 10 days.. a lot of the beaches were stripped of sand during storm surges and most have since been rebuild using dredged sand from a shipping channel.. i've been finding a lot of coins in this new layer of sand.. i have indeed been restricted to the towel line and where water-sport activities take place but maybe the Equinox 600 will find some jewellery in the wash-zone and surf-zone?     

It does sound like your beaches got stirred up and everything gone deep. The sand goes away and all the heavy stuff remains behind. Then the sand comes back in and buries it beyond reach. All a guy can do is get out and hunt where the people are thickest and hope for recent drops. I do like hunting the shallows ankle to waist deep if the surf is not too rough. Body surfing areas are great but often hard to hunt. If you have calm pools where the moms take the little kids... go there.

Next time you have a storm that strips the beach, take the week off and live on the beach. Locals that can do that have a huge edge over visitors. You will be amazed at what you can find for that brief time conditions are perfect.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Dave,  I'm assuming you spend a 3 month winter in MX?  Are you using a PI machine?  Ye it is always nice to hear of others Success and gold to other ratio.  Keep us posted.

Hi Gerry

No PI. I will be running the Nox and Sovereign. 

• Like 1