Found A Ring Today, But Doubt It's Real

RobNC

Any marks inside? Usually there will be a ##k inside the ring if it is gold, silver or plat but not always as some small jewlers don't mark anything at all. Hard to tell in the pics but liike like it could be plated. Take a loupe to it and look over the surface and if it was in the salt and plated there should be some bubbling. Also look at any scratches to see if the metal is a different color ie copper or nickel.

Still better than a zinc! Congrats!

• Like 1

You can always get an acid test kit BUT if it is plated, the plating will indicate gold so I would look it over for any scratches to start with. Test kits run about $25 with a loupe. Not all good jewelry has a mark on it, I found a sweet platinum ring last spring that had no marks and had high grade diamonds. I thought it was a junker as the diamonds were so clear. Local coin hobby guy I know tested it and confirmed it was the real deal.

• Like 2

Some may charge you. I wanted to get the plat ring I found appraised and graded and gia certified would cost $100 per ring. Call ahead first to see if and what they charge. Many coin hobby shops may test also but will only offer you a portion of scrap weight cost if you chose to sell it. Coin/Hobby shops would be marginally better than a slimy pawn shop imo.

Will try to get it to a jewelry shop this weekend, time permitting.