Treasure Coast.... Not!(at Least For Me Lol)

IdahoPeg

Nice digs, Peg!  It looks like you had some fun, and did a good bit of digging!  No idea, on that "silver sandwich..."

Steve

• Like 3

Nice! It may not be the silver we all hope for Peg but you are the only person holding that piece of history for the first time in at least s hundred years if not more. I was there also and found a similar small tack. And of course Terry is the best at this game and darn nice too. You may have also seen Garry Drayton too around then. So  with these guys here, at least we are in the right place! 🙂

All the best!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IdahoPeg said:

So not sure what it is....rings in at 19/20 on my 600,

That really reminds me of a watch battery that I had found several months ago, but I am not sure what type of metal it is.

Great finds and wish you luck on your next trip.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the finds.

I've only had the opportunity of hunting cuts a couple times in my life and found a trove of goodies on the hard pan in the cuts.  We usually go to Holden Beach NC where they're continually dredging sand and building the beach back up because of where it washes out.  That being said, extreme low tide is my only chance to hunt the old stuff and that is with my TDI.  

Now back to your silver item.  Years ago I found a similar item on the beach, in one of those cuts mentioned.  It was coal black but rang up as a penny/dime on  my Fisher F75.  I tried every possible solution to dissolve the item.  After several attempts I finally got the faint image of a Mercury dime.  The only thing I didn't try was electrolysis. I surmise there was some kind of chemical bonding between the silver and salt water that caused the build up of black material on the dime.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Now back to your silver item.  Years ago I found a similar item on the beach, in one of those cuts mentioned.  It was coal black but rang up as a penny/dime on  my Fisher F75.  I tried every possible solution to dissolve the item.  After several attempts I finally got the faint image of a Mercury dime.  The only thing I didn't try was electrolysis. I surmise there was some kind of chemical bonding between the silver and salt water that caused the build up of black material on the dime.

Soaking it in aluminum foil with baking soda and hot water helped start to  get the oxidation off. Plus tried coating it in spit(rec by a YouTube video I found), wrap in foil, and squeezing it tightly for a minute or two, rinse and repeat....surprisingly that worked pretty good! Could hear fizzing and smell sulfur. Then gentle brushing w baking soda. 

We find a lot of “space junk” here from the rocket launches at Cape Canaveral, and it looks kind of like that, but I’ve never found them oxidized like this. 

• Like 1

Heading down that way in Jan. with a friend - he likes to throw fish back , catch & release .

I like to catch & eat , so while he's out on his boat throwing fish back , I will  be on the beach looking for goodies with my new NOX 800 .

I am trying to do advance research and having issues with finding some rules on detecting - I have found the usual general , no national parks , limited state parks , check local city/county , then the big general - all beaches are public within the mean tide area [ with vary few beaches being private ] .

I've looked on FL site and it seems to be ambiguous on purpose , something like all beaches within the mean tide , excepting wet sand .

The " excepting wet sand " is the big bug-a-boo ?

Next is almost no info [ so far ] in the water , limited to 10' with the NOX 800 .

For future deeper with another underwater detector , I would like to use down to less than 30' do not have to deal with decompression , but I read something that said out to 3 miles ?

After 3 miles you need to lease an area , kinda like filling a claim with gold mining , use to do that in No. Cal. in the 80s & 90s , underwater suction dredging 😉  ?

52 minutes ago, KD0CAC said:

Heading down that way in Jan. with a friend - he likes to throw fish back , catch & release .

I like to catch & eat , so while he's out on his boat throwing fish back , I will  be on the beach looking for goodies with my new NOX 800 .

I am trying to do advance research and having issues with finding some rules on detecting - I have found the usual general , no national parks , limited state parks , check local city/county , then the big general - all beaches are public within the mean tide area [ with vary few beaches being private ] .

I've looked on FL site and it seems to be ambiguous on purpose , something like all beaches within the mean tide , excepting wet sand .

The " excepting wet sand " is the big bug-a-boo ?

Next is almost no info [ so far ] in the water , limited to 10' with the NOX 800 .

For future deeper with another underwater detector , I would like to use down to less than 30' do not have to deal with decompression , but I read something that said out to 3 miles ?

After 3 miles you need to lease an area , kinda like filling a claim with gold mining , use to do that in No. Cal. in the 80s & 90s , underwater suction dredging 😉  ?

On the Treasure Coast we can detect essentially from the base of the dunes to the water/low tide line. Can not disturb the dunes and can’t go in the water here...everything in the water belongs to the professional salvagers with the leases. However, I’ve seen people at low tide in the trough...nobody bothers them. If you find something there though, say it was on the beach lol!

Re your buddy’s catch & release fun....here’s one I watched a couple weeks ago...pretty cool!

F498A623-E575-4314-9978-DCCF97E1E574.thumb.jpeg.33801ec7dc8aabbab05ed3bef512f4e3.jpeg2C2E9005-D05E-48EB-A8FE-9E27B239B4BB.thumb.jpeg.5c19e2ac1f5d47936388c74563210413.jpeg66B63F6A-BD92-40F0-A0D7-0743AF5B899F.thumb.jpeg.5e47da2ad7b4c22608539075402deed5.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice variation of finds Peg, 

I've been finding more lead and copper items since we have had some erosion of late! Looks like you saved some people a trip for a tetanus shot,  with some of the "sharps" you recovered!   

The majority of the public has no idea of the dangerous items we recover detecting! Nor do the municipalities! And we aren't being paid, or creating a tax burden on said municipalities! We do it for free with very little if any reward! I know i could fill a trash can with plastic and other trash every time i detect, if i had the time, and wanted to tote one around! Its enough to just remove the metal and broken glass i find every trip!🏖👍

• Like 2