Great Grand Pa's Nugget

thought id post a picture of a nugget that has special meaning for me. this nugget was found by my great grand father in Jackson California back in around 1890 when he was a young man of about 22 years and working as a gold minor.

post-618-0-44566900-1438826696_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-48455400-1438826703_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-22227500-1438826710_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Nice!  If only you could chat with great grandpa for a while about his gold mining expeditions....

strick

• Like 1

Nice!  If only you could chat with great grandpa for a while about his gold mining expeditions....

strick

you have no idea how much id like that... he died at 33 an inn keeper in the same town. newspaper called it liver disease, but it was sudden, not a lingering sickness. newspapers can at least help me feel i know a little bit about him. his brother was almost killed one day according to the local newspaper in a mine collapse, 40 ton section fell in trapping him in a void. he was basically uninjured and spent the next few days recovering at my great-grandfathers boarding house in center jackson, the newspaper said. few days recovering makes you wonder what uninjured was back in those days (guess it would take at least a few days for me to fully clean my shorts). other newspapers have stories that add some mystery surrounding his death. My grandmother was a little girl at the time and remembered many stories of her dad and life in Jackson, she told them often, yes, it would be very nice indeed...

Very cool! Im about 20 minutes from Jackson.

roaring camp in pine grove just a few miles up highway 88 has taken some 15 to 25 pound monsters off their property in years past if i remember correctly from the speech they give on the ride down down to the river. they stop at the county hanging tree and tell you of the history there as well, it's really an interesting tour, but very sad for those who found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. they sure had great gold back then if you lived long enough to enjoy it.

I wish I could be out west for awhile. I am back East, in Kentucky, lots of Danial Boone stores. Maybe before I die I will get to do some prospecting out  t here. Back here we have very fine gold, I still go and find it, out west in Cal. no one would even keep. I will be 64 in Nov. and have a broken back but still do what I can. I love being out doors in the hills. I was born 100 years to late. That's ok I make my own history.  

• Like 1