Relief From Detector's Elbow (pain)

It is a valid concern to take seriously. I developed tendinitis one summer from too much detecting and it took me near a year to recover. I had to switch to detecting left handed and even learned to run a computer mouse left handed. Don't ignore this stuff until it goes too far or you will regret it. Anyway, I like the looks of that gizmo so thanks for posting!

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

to remove pain i usually smoke :j and a friend of mine has always some kind of pains and illnesses.. I was really feeling uncomfortable being around him and constantly hearing his indignations about it, then I stopped him and turned his mind vector around, pointed him to the fact that it comes all from his head and suggested him to get some kratom pills to chill. what he thinks is what he gets. After that he finally started being healthy and even started to go to gym lol. As I say, every pain comes from your head, if you will start thinking that u are healthy, u will be.

• Haha 1

My right shoulder and elbow have been problematic the last few years. Good physical mechanics can help keep the issue from flaring up in the first place. However, as a golfer, i relate that some days my elbow is irritated and painful.

I use ice to help reduce / stop swelling AND relieve much of the pain. Excessive use of ibuprofen is hard on the body.  If I resort to some nsaid assistance, i have found alleve to help, used in conjunction with the ice.  I have easy access to an orthopedic surgeon and have had some cortizone shots.  Only one I ever had that I thought was painful was in the spine. Can't say the rest were painful, but then i guess it is all relative, as I've been no stranger to injuries, pain and surgeries over the years.  

Years ago I was swinging an Explorer XS w/Sunray X-1 pin-pointer, then an Etrac.  After a shoulder injury and surgery, the shoulder was much improved BUT, the weight of the Etrac plus the X-1 limited the amount of time I could hunt to less than a couple hours before I had to stop. Sometimes not even that long.  I loved he Etrac w/X-1, but necessity demanded a change. So I dropped the X-1 and purchased a hand held pinpointer.  This weight reduction helped extend the amount of time I could hunt before I felt the need to stop. While I couldn't do the Etrac all day, I could do more than a couple hours.

A couple years ago when Minelab introduced the Equinox 800, I switched. It was a win/win for me with better ergonomics and less overall weight.  I do miss the Etrac display. But my 800 has been good to me AND has reduced the weight i have to swing. That keeps me in the game.

My thoughts are to decrease the amount of weight you have to swing, ice that elbow immediately afterward if you've exercised it too much and have pain, and stretch those muscles / joints some before and after.  

Best of luck out there. 

Rich - 

• Like 2

What is really needed is a way to adjust the handle. Everyone is different and the angle they grip can be perfect for some and painful for others. Same with the arm cuff.

• Like 1

Last summer my knees started bothering me.  It came to a point where I could hardly climb the stairs to go to bed. Very painful, and hardly ant strength in my knees.  I am 61 and thought my career as a service tech were over.  Couldn't they last another year so I could retire?  I dreaded the thought of going to a doctor. I heard a commercial on the radio about a natural product called Relief Factor.  It reduces inflammation, which in turn reduces pain . A three week sample supply is $20. 

I tried it and started noticing less pain in 48 hrs.  Two weeks later , 90% of the pain was gone.  Man I could not believe it.

On a day when I will be on my knees alot, I put on some compression knee socks also that have padded areas that cover the front of the knee.  When I get home at night , my knees are pain free. Man Im so thankful!  My knees still feel a bit loose or wobbly , due to age, but zero pain.!

They say it works where ever you have pain caused by inflammation. It shrinks the inflammation, that causes the pain. 

Search for Relief Factor on Google or DuckDuck Go.  A month supply runs $90, all natural capsules. 

Im one thankful ol wheezer!

• Thanks 1

Thought on the angle of the detector shaft. What if someone was ambitous enough to make an adjustable cuff system that could be moved forward or back on the detector shaft AND the distance from the shaft to change the angle. Most shafts are pretty standard in dia so it might not be that tough. I would but I'm not that ambitous..

9 hours ago, kac said:

Thought on the angle of the detector shaft. What if someone was ambitous enough to make an adjustable cuff system that could be moved forward or back on the detector shaft AND the distance from the shaft to change the angle. Most shafts are pretty standard in dia so it might not be that tough. I would but I'm not that ambitous..

I have an aftermarket cuff on my 800 - and had one on my Etrac and Explorer as well. But it is due to the factory cuffs being too small for me to use when I wear a sweatshirt or coat during colder weather.

I'm pretty sure you could pad the cuff with foam or something to raise the arm away from the cuff area and steepen the grip. Not sure how to go the other way without completely removing the control housing on a detector and slapping it on a search rod / grip that you liked. 

• Like 1

I did try to pad the cuff on my MK and angle I needed my arm was too close to the top edge of the cuff. The Kruzer series has very narrow cuffs too.

• 1 year later...

I have been recently banned on the Australian Prospecting Forum for stating that DMSO (dimethsulphoxide, the juice from pine trees, and a legal substance, even when hard to find sometimes, but a pure medical grade 99.99% odour free source is found in the USA, and the medical industry has lots of names for it...)...

Doctors use DMSO mixed with anything at all, to enhance the effectiveness of any medication we apply or take. Doctors use it Orally, via injection, topically, and combined with many medications, to make them more effective... It has so many uses but also a lot of dis-information is applied to DMSO... so do some deep research on DMSO...
I am 73 and work with my sons tree lopping (up to 40-50 metre trees etc in close proximity of houses etc.… and used to be an underground hard-rock miner so am used to hard work, but tree lopping sure beats being a miner for physical endurance.. and with a bakers knee in one leg it sometimes gets painful... 

I use no medications due to side-effects.. so resort to pure castor oil mixed with a few drops of 99.99% pure DMSO... [5 litres of the DMSO can be bought for horses (the same medical 99.99% grade as humans may use if we so wish) for about 70-100$AUD a Litre (big medical sells it for $780AUD for a 50ml ampule... yep you read right, $780AUD per 50 mls, WHICH would make the 5 litres pak cost $78,000AUD)… go figure...!!!

I apply the mix to my knee overnight with a clean flannel of moist wool (an old wool sock chopped up), with a cover of glad-wrap and bandage over that.

I then sleep with a hot water bottle on it for a few hours... it is magic for me... take a look... ✔️✔️✔️🌈🕊

• Like 4