Gerry in Idaho

Your Favorite Gold Finds Of 2019. Here's 1 Of Mine

Gerry, nice set of new dentures. A bit too big for your mouth, though. And, they need a bit of cleaning, too.  Nonetheless, bro, nice AU. HH Jim

• Haha 1

that is a mouth full Gerry

• Haha 3

A couple of my favorite 2019 gold finds was this 5.6 gram piece at nearly a foot and a half with the GPZ 7000:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzmm1pgdrpaswe7/Nugget dig.mov?dl=0

And the recent 3-way specimen with White's GM 24K:

71723394-378D-4B76-8BCF-EAE6502A62C4.thumb.jpeg.62e309a9de3bbc32c0d3f8eebafbf496.jpeg

1389A547-D9B0-43FB-96AF-75A17EA08257.thumb.jpeg.2616236cf0f52c0fc88b8092f42aafe3.jpeg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Lunk said:

A couple of my favorite 2019 gold finds was this 5.6 gram piece at nearly a foot and a half with the GPZ 7000:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzmm1pgdrpaswe7/Nugget dig.mov?dl=0

And the recent 3-way specimen with White's GM 24K:

71723394-378D-4B76-8BCF-EAE6502A62C4.thumb.jpeg.62e309a9de3bbc32c0d3f8eebafbf496.jpeg

1389A547-D9B0-43FB-96AF-75A17EA08257.thumb.jpeg.2616236cf0f52c0fc88b8092f42aafe3.jpeg

Those extremely deep but small (to somes standards) nuggets are always impressive.  I would have to agree on that 3 flavor collectors piece too.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

DigsAlot,  Both of those recoveries are extremely collectible pieces too. Thanks for sharing. 

Steve,  I realize you have your hands into many poker games.  Your little ones show skill.  Thanks for adding. 

Jim,  my dentures are now fine for quite some time.   I know you have a favorite or 10. Let's see 1.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By madtuna
      Found a nice little run a couple of days ago, 2 days in a row just over 1/2 oz  each day and another 23 grams this morning.
      Here's a pic of this mornings total....

I don't film many digs anymore, but the bigger chunk had a bit of depth. I was hoping it would be deeper and bigger...but alas, not to be, it went just under 10 grams
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUIZp0f7zQ
    • By phrunt
      I had my first outing with my GPZ about a week ago with JW, my back was still terribly sore at the time from an injury so I wasn't really doing well and had trouble digging targets, and we were in terribly heavy rain so I was off my game.  I went back to the same spot today, the weather was much better, in fact it was far too hot for me.  My back has improved a lot, I lasted about 3 hours which I thought's pretty good, my longest detect since I did my back in.  This particular place I've always called my Nemesis as I could just never do well there.  I've been there probably 25 times and only found gold three from memory.  The first time with my Gold Bug Pro which was 1 bit, then the QED with 12x6" X-coil which got 1 bit, then the GPX with 10" X-coil which got 1 bit.  I've never got a bit with the Nox or Gold Monster here even though I've used the Nox the most I'd imagine and I'm the most comfortable on it feeling I can use it pretty well.
      I had a lot more faith in myself today as JW has done very well here with his GPZ and 10" X-Coil so now we were both driving the same machine surely I could come away with a piece.
      I threw my little ferrite super magic ring on the ground and waved over it, no response unless I rubbed the coil on it so maybe I don't need to do that anymore after doing my Quick start procedure the other day so I just got stuck into it.  I've had a few skilled operators suggest I use Manual instead of Auto or Semi Auto, that made sense to me with our mild soils here so I was in manual, I raised and lowered the coil and had no response from the ground so I assumed that I didn't need to do anything so I just got stuck into detecting.
      I first tried all the mountain goat one gust of wind and you're dead terrain, I get a bit wobbly detecting this stuff as I'm not so good with heights.
      My first target was a shotgun pellet.... not unexpected, there are many of them around here....

That's good though, it means the detectors working well 🙂  I'm not used to the target noise of the GPZ on these small targets yet, bigger targets sound similar to the GPX but these small things behave differently, it's sort of a wobbly noise, different to the GPX.
      I kept going, detecting closer to the cliff.....

Scary!  I did get a target in this area, it wasn't on the surface as it remained after my first scrape and moved on the second, unfortunately, a tiny little bit of some sort of junk

I was super impressed with the sensitivity of the 12" X-coil getting these tiny little targets, Gold Monster size bits of junk.

I really thought I had a nugget in this photo above, this was just before my dig..... turned out to be another shotgun pellet stuck in the schist bedrock 😞
      Now the sun came out, it was terribly hot and I was frustrated looking at the nice cool water below me while I'm up here sweating badly wanting to jump in it to cool off, I really struggle in heat so I moved away from the cliffs and jumped in my car to go back into the terrain JW found his bits last weekend, it's very close by and I could have walked if it wasn't so hot and my drink had run out already 🙂
      This next area has lots of good bedrock and didn't seem as junky with the pellets, the issue here is the power lines, I dropped my gain down to 14 from the 20 it was on previously so the machine ran nicer as I couldn't put up with the power line noise as the spot with the bedrock I wanted to detect was basically under the power lines.  As I detected further away from them I cranked my gain up again and as  I got closer lowered it down, quite easy to do on the GPZ as you just leave it on that option and adjust as necessary.

Why do they always put these right where the best bedrock is... I'm sure they did it on purpose. 

Nice bedrock though... I could see a number of fresh looking dig holes around, I suspect JW's handy work, he was good though, all necessary ones were back filled. 😉  The funny plants are getting annoying, there is a plant that looks like that if you grab onto it and try rip it out it spikes you to death so I wasn't game to touch them, just worked around them.
      I noticed an area with a lot of dig holes but it was virtually right under the lines, I figured there is no point doing that area but the dig holes seemed to go off in a direction so I instead went down rather than follow the digs and it was only 15 steps from a dig hole and I had a target, quite faint but very obvious.  At this point my gain was on 12 to calm down the power lines and I had the detectors volume on 4 as the Steelphase SP01 was attached to the Wm12 and gave me all the volume I could ever want.  I did notice if I got between the WM12 and the detector sometimes the audio dropped out for a few seconds and picked up again if I moved, it seems it doesn't like passing the audio through my body, is this normal or is my WM12 a lemon? I would think it's pretty normal passing wireless though your body.  I tried changing frequencies but made no difference.  I might just use my Quest Wirefree mate as it doesn't seem to do that, similar thing to the WM12 anyway.
      I dug the target thinking it's probably going to be another shotgun pellet, it was doing the same wobbly type noise, hard to describe the noise....  I did a scrape with the pick and it was still in place, getting hopeful but the bedrock was quite shallow so I just started taking scoops out with my plastic scoop and waving them over the coil, narrowed down a target and it was a bit of gold! Awesome, my first GPZ gold, a tiny little thing....  I rechecked the area and the exact same noise was still there, it sounded like I never even dug the target.  So I kept scraping it out and waving the scoop over my coil, a few more scoops with and I had the target. Boom! Another bit of gold.  Two from one hole! this doesn't happen to me often.

The spot I got them!

You can see the detector sitting in the spot still where I got them and if you look up the damn power lines!

The two little guys! 🙂  I was done for the day now, it was too hot and my back was pretty sore.  I had a goal of finding a bit of gold then I was going to leave, it's lucky it happened when it did as to clean the little bits I had to use the last drop of moisture in my body, my spit came out like pasty thick molasses to clean them.  I stumbled back to my car and was lucky.  I found a few fruit trees on the walk that were covered in fruit.  I got my fluids up eating a bunch of apricots and a few plums.

I picked a few for the road too

Washed down my KFC with them.
      Time to head home, my wife had sent me a text message while I was detecting saying I've had a parcel arrive, it was the two coils I've ordered to start exploring for some new ground, I wanted some ground coverage so I can explore and find some ground JW hasn't already done so I think this is partially why I called it quits so early in the day, I wanted to rush home and see the new coils 🙂

15x10 and 17x12"
      I've tested both of them out already in my backyard, both detect my bits of gold I found today, that means they'll be my perfect exploring coils.  I hoped they'd both still have the sensitivity to small gold which they do.  I shouldn't say my bits of gold either, my wife confiscated them off me, valentines day gift she said as its valentines day here today 😄  It's the first nuggets I've given her so that's OK.
      Time for the weigh in.

Not too bad! Happy with that.  I really like the 12" coil, it's going to to be my everyday use coil.
    • By idahogold
      Cheers All from 20f frozen Idaho! Enjoy!!!😆

• By Jesse
      So I finally got a metal detector it's on its way the equinox 800. I also ordered the 6-inch coil. I'm going to post a picture of a specimen of gold my cousin found, he found it while working on a little creek that was known for gold back in the day. He found it without a metal detector just basically by chance looking down and picking up a piece of quartz off the bedrock. I know exactly where it is so I'm going to go to that spot. My question is should I literally just detect the whole Creek? There's also tailings piles on that Creek as well should I hit everything like a madman? 

• By nugget hunter nz
      So took the gpz out for couple days were I hunt managed to find out that my extra waterproofing didn't work after 20 mins of first day with xcoil so was back to std 14 on day to all and all we had good trip pulled 5 grams for 2 days and 3 nice bits including this one 
      It was all creek hunting and was defanitly impressed the the zeds depth 

Just hoping with few days sun in a bag rice the xcoil will work normaly again.. Guess I will have to wait for nf coils to be realesed for water ones as the std 14 took on water to even tho they ment to be submersible to 1 mtr 
    • By geof_junk
      Some time you can be lucky hunting ground away from known patches. I have provided a couple of google screen shots of my West Australia patch number 2. The first one is of a circle of 1.250 Km with a 200 metre circle and a square of 1 acre in-side of it, to show the size of the spread of nuggets. The yellow small markers are nuggets that my wife and I found. The cluster of nuggets was found in the large circle with a casual chaining of the area.The nuggets out-side of the main circle were found exploring the extent of the spot and has not been chained yet. During this find we found no detector holes and only couple of pieces of junk for sum of over a kilo of gold. During this time (a couple of months) we only saw one 4wd and he was lost. The reason of this post is because of Gold Catchers "Hunting in undiscovered area" although hard to find it worth a go at hunting off known patches. I also would like to see some of you members showing screen shots of the spread of their spots. I am not giving GPS locations and neither should you as one day I will expand my chaining.

The second shot is a of the 200 metre circle.