Your 3 Favorite Finds Of 2019. Here's Mine

On 12/31/2019 at 3:26 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

1st favorite find of 2019 is a really rare Barber Quarter.  In fact IT IS THE RAREST of Barber Quarters minted.  I have not had it professionally clean and right now it looks like crap, but of all the coins I have dug up in 40+ years of metal detecting, this is by far the rarest (40,000 minted).  It is a 1913-S.  it was found with a Minelab EQ-800.

3-10-19A.thumb.jpg.2359f0a8a9d97d74bb4d9cc9222f683f.jpg

Impressive finds, all, Gerry.  I really like the quarter.  Metal detecting for old coins is a kind of stepping back in time.  Although coin collecting comes in many forms, possibly the most popular (and certainly most affordabe!) is searching through pocket change and bank rolls.  Thus I ask "when was the last time someone found a 1913-S Barber Quarter in circulation?"

Realistically it was difficult to find them ever given their low mintage (~40,000 as you point out).  Coin collecting took off after WWII.  Barbers were no longer in cirulation when I started collecting in 1959 (or at least I never saw one).  So the answer to my question is prior to 1960, and even by then it was very unlikely with ~1950 being a more realistic cutoff.  Metal detecting has allowed you to step back in time by at least 60 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kac said:

My favorites that I snagged for 2019.

IMG_0887.jpg

Kac,  Those finds are really nice.  I like the patina on the 2 bigger green MX coins.  The small white coin is it from Philippines.  Is the ring Tungsten? Thanks for sharing?

GB,  Since you have been collecting for so long, you realize the rarity of the 13-S Barber.  It is by fare the rarest coin I have found including my many trips detecting in England.  Not sure if you know, but how would you go about getting it professionally cleaned and then graded?  I realize PCSG will mention it has been cleaned, when they slab it, but as is, most folks would not take a 2nd look.  Heck I even thought about getting all 3 cleaned and displaying them together as they all came from the same hole. I realize your input is only advice, but since I am not a serious coin collector, thought I'd ask since it is more of your profession.  Once I figure out how to get the video to upload to Steve's site, I'll be able to share it.  I tried, but it says it is not formatted correctly.  There again, not my specialty.