Your 3 Favorite Finds Of 2019. Here's Mine

23 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

GB,  Since you have been collecting for so long, you realize the rarity of the 13-S Barber.  It is by fare the rarest coin I have found including my many trips detecting in England.  Not sure if you know, but how would you go about getting it professionally cleaned and then graded?  I realize PCSG will mention it has been cleaned, when they slab it, but as is, most folks would not take a 2nd look.  Heck I even thought about getting all 3 cleaned and displaying them together as they all came from the same hole. I realize your input is only advice, but since I am not a serious coin collector, thought I'd ask since it is more of your profession.  Once I figure out how to get the video to upload to Steve's site, I'll be able to share it.  I tried, but it says it is not formatted correctly.  There again, not my specialty.

Jerry - you’ve cleaned it off enough to verify it is a 1913 and not a 1915, right? Comparing your pic vs. PCGS pics of the ‘13 and ‘15 uncirculated strikes, the last numeral in your pic more closely resembles the “5” vs. the 3, but it is still hard to tell because of the coin condition and the fact that I am just using a zoomed in version of your posted pic.  Just putting it out there because I can’t just look at the posted pic myself say there is no doubt that is a 3 or 5.  But then again, I’m not a coin grader, so what do I know...:smile:  The irony is that I went back and forth on 3 vs. 5 on my Mexican Half Real so went to PCGS to look at some strike pics, so it is fresh in my mind.

Great find, regardless.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Kac,  Those finds are really nice.  I like the patina on the 2 bigger green MX coins.  The small white coin is it from Philippines.  Is the ring Tungsten? Thanks for sharing?

Top left is a plat ring with high end diamonds, the patina coins were found in one hole, 2-2cent's, 2 IH pennies and 1 eagle cent. The other I found in another area and is a silver 3 cent trime also USA. For those looking for eagle cents they chime in at a folded ring tab but better tone roll. The Trime chimes in just a bit higher but not a real strong signal. On the Garrett AT series that would be 60 and 62 for reference.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 11:47 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

GB,  Since you have been collecting for so long, you realize the rarity of the 13-S Barber.  It is by fare the rarest coin I have found including my many trips detecting in England.  Not sure if you know, but how would you go about getting it professionally cleaned and then graded?  I realize PCSG will mention it has been cleaned, when they slab it, but as is, most folks would not take a 2nd look.  Heck I even thought about getting all 3 cleaned and displaying them together as they all came from the same hole. I realize your input is only advice, but since I am not a serious coin collector, thought I'd ask since it is more of your profession.  Once I figure out how to get the video to upload to Steve's site, I'll be able to share it.  I tried, but it says it is not formatted correctly.  There again, not my specialty.

Not close to my profession -- just a hobby.  Now, as far as how to get it cleaned and graded -- great question!  (How do I qualify a question as 'great'?  If I've asked myself that same question many times and still don't know the answer.  😁)  I'm going to write a separate thread on the subject.  Was going to do that today but I'm running out of time so I'll make it tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

Updatehere is the promised post/thread.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, kac said:

Top left is a plat ring with high end diamonds, the patina coins were found in one hole, 2-2cent's, 2 IH pennies and 1 eagle cent. The other I found in another area and is a silver 3 cent trime also USA. For those looking for eagle cents they chime in at a folded ring tab but better tone roll. The Trime chimes in just a bit higher but not a real strong signal. On the Garrett AT series that would be 60 and 62 for reference.

Thanks

Kac,  I personally know each of those coins and have found a few.  They are actually quite rare to find, but value is not up there.  We don't really do it for the value anyway, but more the historical and of course the "hunt" itself.  I figured the ring was PLAT or White gold with diamonds.  Now why did I mess with you?  Those finds my friend are "Ones they dream of" to the average detectorist and Hats Off Tops of the Food chain" to old salty diggers like myself.  In fact, I will admit, 2019 for me only produced a few IH's and one 2 Cent piece from NV.  But most of my time in 2019 was chasing gold nuggets.  The PLAT with diamonds would easily rate "best ring ever" to most.

Your post showed us some coins and a ring.  Not enough description was added to justify their scarcity so that is why I was hopeful you'd reply back.  Not necessarily for me, but for the masses who lurch this fine forum and for some reason, never post.

Thanks for adding description to those saves as they certain do earn "best finds of 2019".  I can't wait to see your top digs in 2020.  BTW.  Was the ring found on a water hunt or in a park?

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Jerry - you’ve cleaned it off enough to verify it is a 1913 and not a 1915, right? Comparing your pic vs. PCGS pics of the ‘13 and ‘15 uncirculated strikes, the last numeral in your pic more closely resembles the “5” vs. the 3, but it is still hard to tell because of the coin condition and the fact that I am just using a zoomed in version of your posted pic.  Just putting it out there because I can’t just look at the posted pic myself say there is no doubt that is a 3 or 5.  But then again, I’m not a coin grader, so what do I know...:smile:  The irony is that I went back and forth on 3 vs. 5 on my Mexican Half Real so went to PCGS to look at some strike pics, so it is fresh in my mind.

Great find, regardless.

Chase,  You are spooking me now?  Maybe my eyes (and Lunks' too) were wrong?  Yes the photo does look like a 1915, which would be a major disappointment.  I'll need to stop at the bank tomorrow and pull it out.  Plus, I'd like to take a couple more pics of front and back before I send it (to show everyone the before/after) of cleaning when it gets returned.

I'll let everyone know, but I am sure it is 1913-S., because when I checked the book, I had to do a triple quadriple drink to calm my nerves and eyes.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

11 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Chase,  You are spooking me now?  Maybe my eyes (and Lunks' too) were wrong?  Yes the photo does look like a 1915, which would be a major disappointment.  I'll need to stop at the bank tomorrow and pull it out.  Plus, I'd like to take a couple more pics of front and back before I send it (to show everyone the before/after) of cleaning when it gets returned.

I'll let everyone know, but I am sure it is 1913-S., because when I checked the book, I had to do a triple quadriple drink to calm my nerves and eyes.

Man - I did not want to do that (spook you)!  Rooting for the 13-S.  That is valued at over $400 in minimum Grade 1 condition.  Hope it works out in your favor.

• Like 1

My bad I should have tossed in more specifics. The trime threw me because it was so small and thin I thought it was part of a button. Only ones I had seen were copper alloys in pictures and never seen a silver one. I show pics of some these coins to friends outside of the detecting realm (hard to believe there is one right?) and they never heard of them before. Last thing I care about is the value, never sold a find I got ever. I like the hunt, that is the gratifying part for me and when I drag my detecting buddies I try to show them spots I hadn't hit hoping they hit something good. I live an a relatively old area that has been pounded hard since detectors were invented. Takes 10% research and 90% dumb luck. I do better in the woods off the beaten paths in regions well protected by poison ivy 🙂

Hate to say that but that really looks like a 1915 by the top stroke and down stroke on the left. Do hope its a 1913.

Best finds are Steve's oldies, amazing!

• Like 2

What a Huck Up I did.  Yes you guys are correct as I had to pull an eye piece to view the bugger and it is a 1915.  So there goes my dreams of retirement.  Then last night (when I am supposed to be sleeping) my brain was racking trying to figure out the 2019 year and all the adventures I did.  It finally came to and the fog lifted.  I got up in middle of night went to look at that crazy Barber again and it is indeed a 1915 Barber Quarter.  But where are the other 2, that is the question as I dug up 3 Barber Quarters in 1 hole.  

Now I am actually kind of excited again, as I feel I made a mistake.  This 1915 (the photo I posted) was a local find (yes with the same Equinox 800) when I did a hunt with my other Field Staff Expert (Spencer), a couple weeks timeframe difference.  That is why I can't find the other 2 quarters with it, as it can't be.  So guess what today it?  Run to the bank and look for 3 dirty dusty Barber Quarters that should be together.  So hopefully I am able to do an update this evening with new photos and brain relief from a guy who has been stressing the last 24 hours.  

Those who noticed it, thanks for being the "eagle eyes" I don't have.

• Like 2

My three favorite finds of 2019 are a US civil war belt buckle, what I believe to be a US civil war bridal rosette, and a 1776 Spanish 1 reale coin.

Rosette.png

Buckle.png

Spanish coin.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2019 was a good year for me.  I was able to retire in June and spend more time detecting.  I also obtained permission to a 1800's private home site.  My favorite 3 coins were a 1890 "V" nickel ( one of four, 1892, 1904 & 1910 also) a 1891 Indian Head Penny and a 1914 Buffalo Head Nickel.

IMG_20200103_154903956.jpg

IMG_20200103_155009419.jpg

IMG_20200103_155116232.jpg

IMG_20200103_155141370.jpg

IMG_20200103_155453173.jpg

IMG_20200103_155508445.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1