Have You Paid For Your Detector?

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Ok, where is the 'value equation' or 'sweet spot' of detector/coil price and finds?  How much is a 'fair price' to pay for a detector and still enjoy it?

Detectors are pretty equivalent to hunting rifles price and purpose wise. You buy it as a tool to pursue an activity.  You can buy one that works fine for $300ish, or a more refined version that works marginally better for $700-$1000. Most of the time it makes no difference which you are carrying.  I went upscale with the equinox,  but could pursue the same activities, same trips, etc with the simplex. 

If a person is wanting to go hunting but hasn't because they are waiting saving up for the dream model rifle I would encourage them to just buy/borrow whatever rifle they can afford and go hunting. The enjoyment is the activity,  not the possession,  or even the results. I feel the exact same about detectors. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whites 600d  -yes

Bountyhunter RB7   -yes

Garret Deepseeker    -yes

Garret Groundhog    -not quite

Minelab   -GS15000   -yes

Minelab GT16000   -A hundred times over.

Minelab SD2000   - Four times over the first day

Minelab SD2200   -Three times over with demo model borrowed from Barry Johnson the Wedderburn dealer. (about 3 hours)

GP3500           - Found 40oz piece with borrowed detector (never owned this model)

GPX4000      -Took about a month.

GPZ       -About 2 weeks

QED    -  About 3 weeks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

I try not to think about my finds off setting the cost of my detectors. I love detecting too much and especially my Equinox 600 and 800, my XP ORX and my modded TDI SL. I purchased all but the TDI SL new, and got the TDI for less than $400 and purchased all of them since January of 2018 so roughly $2500.

I keep good records of finds and hours in a journal, so just for fun, in 2018 my clad total for the year was $288 (mostly after getting the Nox 600) and jewelry melt value was $625. My totals for 2019 were, clad $581, gold nuggets and flakes $530 melt value, and jewelry $915 melt value. Total from January 2018 through December of 2019 is $2939.

So, technically my detectors and extra coils are paid for in material terms.I don't need that kind of justification to enjoy this hobby. My love for this hobby is totally priceless.......

To me, using these great detectors and finding anything is what is so rewarding. The fact that I can find enough to actually add up to something tangible is pretty amazing. I gladly volunteer at my expense to detect for university archeology departments, historical societies, State Park lake lead removal, municipal governments and law enforcement for free, with pleasure. Like Chase earlier, it is not about the money for me. I'm retired and I metal detect for exercise, love of the outdoors, solitude and/or working with a team, skill development and for the thrill of it. When my body won't let me do this anymore I will still have countless wonderful memories.

Jeff

• Like 7

No, no and hmmm, so you mean I’ve got a chance👍, no regrets Even if I never break even financially as the adventure has been worth every cent. Being late in the game starting nugget hunting with the release of the 7000 without clue 1 on the location of any placer makes for a slow uphill start , but each and every piece found a treasure. 

Whites SST.         Almost

7000.                    I hope (no)

Deus.                    No, I need to hit the park more and they were supposed to make that treasure coil thing

• Like 2

I remember once when I ran into another gold hunter up in the desert.  I was using the 2300.  He commented it would take forever to pay for the machine with the tiny gold it finds....I thought to myself if I wanted to make money I could have just stayed home.

Leaving work to go detecting is like leaving the gold mine to go play in the dirt. 

In a serious prospectors mind I do see how that works however and I would certainly be thinking in those regards... if it’s a business you have to. 

Its nice to have a hobby where you have fun and can find valuable items... My coin and relic machines have paid for them selves but my gold detectors have not...but I have had lots of fun with them that’s for sure.

strick

• Like 4

Minelab Equinox 800 -  owned 22 months.   Yes, it has paid for itself and then some.

XP Deus - owned 8 months. No, it has not yet paid for itself. 

Rich - 

RDD,

Thanks for adding in the 'extras' from being out.  As we know much of what we do is 'priceless' but what I was trying to get at was the effectiveness of a detector.  It is not possible to make that direct of a connection because years ago you could have paid for any and all detectors if you went to the right places ... often enough.

Have you posted up your meteorite finds on a thread over there in that forum section?  Are they one offs or have you found any fields?

Mitchel