GPZ 8000 Rumors

flakmagnet

56 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My personal opinion is the GPZ 7000 set a high limit both for weight and price that will not be repeated. The tide has turned in the other direction on both counts. Equinox points the way to the new Minelab philosophy.

Agreed Steve, and I'm convinced that Minelabs' next flagship gold detector will be lighter weight than the GPZ 7000.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m curious what others think

I'm the laziest detectorist there is. I avoid putting on extra weight because I don't want to carry the extra pounds. I use the 7000 because the danged heavy thing works. But if a detector came out with equal performance and less weight it would out produce the 7000 by a large margin in that you could detect longer hours, you would be more likely to make full swings thus covering more area, you would more often poke the coil into and under tight spots and you cold more efficiently swing it over your head when working extremely steep ground.

The next question would be "what would I be willing to pay for it?"

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, klunker said:

The next question would be "what would I be willing to pay for it?

Please, nobody say they would be willing to pay as much as the GPZ 7000!!!😅

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it is the new year and based upon someone I know and trust they think a new detector will be out this year ... if the tests are complete.  They are excited and I'll get excited with them.

I don't know any details.  My interest in the new detector will be based upon price more than weight.  I haven't been able to pay for my last gold detector with my finds.  I would invest in an Xcoil or another smaller coil for the Z before I'd pay more than $3000 for the latest and greatest gold detector!

There, I've pinned myself down to a budget for the year.  Work with that Minelab or not.  I doubt their new top of the line nugget detector will be less than that so I'll leave it for the professionals and not a part time nugget detectorist like myself.  The results I see from other Z owners means my results are more based upon my errors rather than the detector.

When they come out with a detector that stops, detects and digs and gets equal results with any other detectorist then I'll pay the premium again.

• Like 2

Speculation is not verification. Let's wait and see. If we get into the habit of believing every rumor, we'll also have to start worrying about low-flying pigs. Sure, it would be nice if ML would release an improved and lighter version of the Zed for under $3000.00, but don't hold your breath. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely am not holding my breath Jim, agreed. But it is fun to dream.

I think if Minelab got nothing else from 7000 users, they got that, for most of us, the unit is simply too heavy - They got that they need a brighter screen -  We want a coil selection that matches our needs - Pretty sure ML has made R&D progress, they always do and the  progress in electronic miniaturization has been impressive. 

I am looking for a lighter, better made, lower priced, electronically advanced, gold-specific detector this year. It's time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't buy a Monster and it will do 80% of what you are looking for.  I don't know where to use a Monster where I'd have 'fun' because I would always wonder if there is MORE.

It is that depth and size thing we also want.

I find that improvements in detector are very minor as far as depth go on any thing over a gram. That why I wait for the second generation of technology. If this is the second generation of of the Z then the weight and price would be a factor as most of my nuggets were easily found  detected in virgin ground. As the gold and the number of professional prospectors left have got a lot less, the price and ergonistics should improve in favour of the hobby prospector.  :minelab:  However if I see a massive improvement then reason will prevail. 😋