GPZ 8000 Rumors

flakmagnet

On 1/2/2020 at 10:17 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I agree Keith and was not really trying to predict what Minelab is up to. I am just talking about the weight perception issue with an apples to apples example. There is no doubt Minelab could never ask close to what a CTX 3030 sells for when they came up with the Equinox because it just seems like there is less detector there even though performance is close. Does the $2500 CTX perform three times better than the $899 Equinox? No way. But the CTX feels more substantial, better fit and finish, and pretty carbon fiber rod. No doubt an extra $1000 there just for the build and the look.

My personal opinion is the GPZ 7000 set a high limit both for weight and price that will not be repeated. The tide has turned in the other direction on both counts. Equinox points the way to the new Minelab philosophy. And by year end there will be a new player in the game that Minelab no doubt is watching carefully.

New player do tell whites came to mind or qed but direct competition to minelab high end is what we need. 1to keep them honest and 2 to keep prices fair.. You always see in any situation where you have one stand alone entity they can do as they please demand what ever price.. So I'm defanitly hoping that someone does come to the party to compete at flagship level. I know I've been more than impressed with the whites 24k in comparison to gm1000 both go tit for tat. Be nice to have the same thing on the pi level 

• Like 3

On 1/3/2020 at 7:43 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I'll tell you manufacturers what I really need and am will to pay top dollar for. A detector as powerful as a GPZ but with 100% accurate ferrous discrimination. Even the best VLF detectors pick up too much flat steel and broken square nails in old mining areas. If there is a payday waiting for me it is in areas full of ferrous junk where a VLF does not go deep enough but a GPZ or PI will kill me digging junk. Forget more depth and give me genuine, accurate ferrous discrimination in a detector more powerful than the best VLF. For that, I will dig very deep into my wallet, and that's a promise.

Totaly agree Steve I've been saying for years why can't someone come up with a pi detecter with target I'd or like you say some kind of accurate iron I'd that works and doesn't mask out gold.. I know Nokta were toying with a ground scan style detecter that somehow analised the target and gave you a chemical make up reading simalar to the white t3i but in pulse detection. Like you said that would open up a whole new lot ground to search. Also like you mentioned the gold is getting less and less so its not more power we need its smarter searching options thay can tell gold from junk etc

13 hours ago, nugget hunter nz said:

Totaly agree Steve I've been saying for years why can't someone come up with a pi detecter with target I'd or like you say some kind of accurate iron I'd that works and doesn't mask out gold.. I know Nokta were toying with a ground scan style detecter that somehow analised the target and gave you a chemical make up reading simalar to the white t3i but in pulse detection. Like you said that would open up a whole new lot ground to search. Also like you mentioned the gold is getting less and less so its not more power we need its smarter searching options thay can tell gold from junk etc

Unfortunately PI technology as it currently exists does not lend itself to accurate discrimination. The physics just don't support it.

I'm sure some form of hybrid technology will come along and eventually solve the issue. Maybe a combination of PI and magnetometer could help with ferrous discrimination. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reading through this thread, the consensus is towards an ergonomics, lightweight, cheaper discriminating gold detector. I am hoping that ML can produce such but for me I hope they continue to produce a flagship gold detector that continues in the direction that has made ML the worlds leader in gold detection.

The GPZ"8000" for me can be in the same box/shaft as it currently is, ( a lighter/ergonomic one of course if possible) the weight/ergonomics as is, is not a big issue for me, no need for incorporating a GPS unless done with say an android color sunlight screen with popular moving map software that allows downloading/uploading/saving of existing/new data offline. I have no need for discrimination, main need is for more power and GB to penetrate deeper in noisy variable ground.

In the coil department I go with the consensus, a range from say 8" round/elliptical up  to whatever, and ML if you can`t give us those coils let the aftermarket fellows do it, that is the one concession I ask for. The 8000 priced as ML has been tops at, to allow for R & D financing of future flagship gold detectors, a producer as all previous MLs have been. I just hope there are enough potential GPZ8000 buyers who seek the above to ensure ML produce a more powerful refined gold flagship detector as is their tradition since the mid 80s.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Norvic said:

I just hope there are enough potential GPZ8000 buyers who seek the above to ensure ML produce a more powerful refined gold flagship detector as is their tradition since the mid 80s.

I think they would be a large step ahead if they solved their silly ergonomics. Even though it is not a problem for you, a rather sizable majority have been outspoken about the design weight among other things, and if they want to sell lots of units, this should be one of the key areas of change.

• Like 2

I agree totally with you Flak, let us hope ML are considering this threads posts and can make the GPZ8000 the lightweight, ergonomic, cheaper, discriminating detector this threads consensus want with the power and refinements I and I believe many others want. Alternatively if they cannot make a single gold detector that can satisfy all, they make two detectors and satisfy us both. 

I`ve had a boo peek at the innards of the GPZ7000 with the aim of modding it to be more lightweight as I did my SDC2300, but I could not see how I could do such as the Zs case is much more lightweight then the SDC, thus putting its electronics in another case would achieve naught.

23 hours ago, Norvic said:

Reading through this thread, the consensus is towards an ergonomics, lightweight, cheaper discriminating gold detector

20200107_082905.thumb.jpg.ffb6fbec022339fed097afed3bcd3fba.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Norvic, yes I believe ML did the best they could to make the 7000 as lightweight as possible…they had to know they had heavy internal components. Just thinking that nowadays, there are more compact possibilities as the internal's have probably shrunk in the ever-changing electronic R&D rush forward. 

Hope all is well with you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flakmagnet said:

Hope all is well with you. 

No Flak tis bloody terrible, suffering badly with Cabin Fever, summer heat, Marsh Flies (ask Nurse Paul) and the wets here, be April/May before I can get out on gold. Need a gold hit desperately. 

• Like 2