GPZ 8000 Rumors

flakmagnet

Yep, they're targeting the US market with this release announcement, it's the 1/12/22 in the USA.  Australia it's the 2nd so the less important market.

North America is the big coin and treasure detector market, certainly not Australia or Africa.

1701659131_Africavstherestoftheworld.thumb.jpg.bab72d090ada89a47d6144fbe44e7c15.jpg

• Like 3

I haven't paid attention to what time zones the company has focused live events on in the past, but that's a great observation about connecting the best time to the end market if they have historically varied.  

Man, that tiny Asia slice kinda shows where one of the last frontiers for metal detecting still must be.

My various jade and crypto mining adventures have brought me a few good contacts in China. One's father does modern day treasure hunting by going around to tiny rural villages and "thrift shopping" among the villagers for old relics and heirlooms. He takes them back to Macau and sells them with his daughter, who I know. Some of the stuff she showed me sold in the multi-millions of $$! Saudi Princes, Chinese mafia, and people like that buying vanity relics according to her. I guess farmers dig old relics up occasionally and that's how many are found (aside from the tomb robbed stuff).

I asked if anyone ever metal detected in any of those old rural villages around the ancient citadels and forts and abandoned stuff, and she told me no one ever has, no one could even afford a metal detector in any of those places if they wanted. But it sounds like the local police would either arrest you for trying, or force you to pay bribes or something if I as a white guy showed up there with a metal detector. She wasn't even sure if she could do it herself. 

Interesting area though with what must surely be a metric ton of old gold and silver coins, jewelry, and relics in the ground there still all over the place. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

14 hours ago, phrunt said:

Those hoping for a GPZ 8000 in 2023 are dreamers! It's not happening! Sorry to disappoint, I personally don't mind, I love my 7000 just how it is and don't really want to buy another one.... 

This presentation only represents whats about to happen in the rest of FY22-23 which ends in July 2023. After that, all bets are off lol. As with everything that Codan does, there is a plan involved. Product Releases are always strategic so who knows what their plan is???? Wait n see.

I have seen various posts mentioning "sources" in the last few years, talking about how a GPZ 8000 is coming. All I can say is all the quoted sources did not know, and still do not know what is actually going on. Those that know will not talk, and those that talk do not know. Me, I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Aureous said:

This presentation only represents whats about to happen in the rest of FY22-23 which ends in July 2023. After that, all bets are off lol. As with everything that Codan does, there is a plan involved. Product Releases are always strategic so who knows what their plan is???? Wait n see.

That and the fact they've said in shareholder announcements they've had a shift in focus to coin and treasure detectors at the moment to diversify their offerings more, and with the Equinox, a coin and treasure detector being their biggest selling detector perhaps that makes sense.  The African market is dropping back significantly for outside reasons beyond their control, Russia is no longer at market at the moment, not a good time to release a new GPZ.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

The African market is dropping back significantly for outside reasons beyond their control

Just like everywhere, a metal detector gold rush can't last forever. Vast numbers of Africans swarming the goldfields will deplete the gold that can be found with detectors rapidly, no doubt already doing so, and the whole thing will shift to other types of methods. If anything can be called high grading, skimming the cream of the crop, it is detecting. Minelab has to diversify away from that where they can, because it never was going to last forever.

• Like 2

All ML releases are tactical and directed at the best opportune time for the best possible market share and resultant $$. While the GPZ8 might be 'near' and off/on in the hands of field testers, the market and timing will always dictate as to 'when'.