GPZ 8000 Rumors

flakmagnet

I found the comment interesting. A detector with exactly the same performance as a GPZ 7000 but exactly half the weight and with lighter coils would be worth more money to me. In other words set a new GPZ 7000 in front of me and another machine, same performance, less weight.... which would I pay more for? I’m going with lighter even if it costs more. Yet Mitchel implies other people would not feel the way I do about that so I’m curious what others think.

There is true sales psychology here. White’s Electronics used to produce various versions of the same detector and the bigger, heavier ones cost more because bigger is better! :smile:

I would be interested; but it would be nice if they would set and stick to an expected market price at the release time. Instead of starting at a ridiculously high price then incrementally lowering it as the initial sales drop off.

I think the GPZ 7000 started around $12000 then finally leveled off at around $8000.

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You are remembering the fake MSRP. The GPZ started selling at 10K in the U.S. and has had one price decrease since it came out to $7999

As they say memory is one of the first to things you lose, now where are my keys? lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I found the comment interesting. A detector with exactly the same performance as a GPZ 7000 but exactly half the weight and with lighter coils would be worth more money to me. In other words set a new GPZ 7000 in front of me and another machine, same performance, less weight.... which would I pay more for? I’m going with lighter even if it costs more. Yet Mitchel implies other people would not feel the way I do about that so I’m curious what others think.

There is true sales psychology here. White’s Electronics used to produce various versions of the same detector and the bigger, heavier ones cost more because bigger is better! :smile:

I guess you could see it two different ways: on the one hand, the lighter weight alone could be perceived as added performance and would justify an increased price point. How well that would fly would depend on how many people would actually view it that way. The other perception that I think would be more common is that a lighter weight, equal performance detector Is not worth an increase in price because you’re paying more for less physical detector with no real technological performance advantage. Now if it was a lighter weight AND improved technology than the GPZ 7000 with X-coils, a higher price would be justified to most. And I don’t recall Minelab ever NOT improving their tech on each new flagship gold detector anyway, so I feel the lighter weight, same performance detector scenario is extremely unlikely. That's what I think. Of course, a lighter weight, improved performance detector at a LOWER price is what we all want, but that scenario has never happened with Minelab either; maybe they will make history this time? 

• Like 7

On 1/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, Lunk said:

I feel the lighter weight, same performance detector scenario is extremely unlikely. That's what I think.

I agree Keith and was not really trying to predict what Minelab is up to. I am just talking about the weight perception issue with an apples to apples example. There is no doubt Minelab could never ask close to what a CTX 3030 sells for when they came up with the Equinox because it just seems like there is less detector there even though performance is close. Does the $2500 CTX perform three times better than the $899 Equinox? No way. But the CTX feels more substantial, better fit and finish, and pretty carbon fiber rod. No doubt an extra $1000 retail there just for the build and the look.

My personal opinion is the GPZ 7000 set a high limit both for weight and price that will not be repeated. The tide has turned in the other direction on both counts. Equinox points the way to the new Minelab philosophy.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, fredmason said:

Two people or a million saying the same thing does not make it true!

A detector company needs to have new products.  They don't survive without them.