New From Garrett In 2020?

Well it’s official. The Garrett GTI 2500, the flagship of the Garrett metal detector lineup, was over 20 years old in 2019. The GTI 2500 was introduced in 1999. Twenty years is an awfully long time in technology land, and I’d say it’s well past time for Garrett to do something about that. What would you like to see from Garrett in 2020?

garrett-gti-2500-metal-detector.jpg

Garrett GTI 2500 Data & Specifications

• Like 2

This is just my personal opinion,they had rested on the companies top selling laurels for many many years ie the Ace250 etc and this GTI250 which i have only see one being used in say just the last 10 years.In the detecting game you have to keep bringing out new models or certainly new ones that folks 'want' to buy.Alas this has not happened,sale must have taken a massive nose dive especially since the launch of the Equinox and bread and butter detectors like the Simplex.

They bought out the ATX which although in theory looked good on paper had some down falls the biggest ones being the weight an also reliability issues with bad coil cables to name a few.I dont think they really have the engineers to produce new models,so they seem to be following the exact same path as what Tesoro ended up doing rehashing older models and i predict hat what was once one of the giants in the detecting arena going out of business.

The exact time scale that they will become existence i would say 3-4 years and no longer,i also predict that Whites will probably go down the same extinction route as well but possibly sooner than Garrett.

2 former giants will be no more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I can’t disagree Rick if they don’t change their ways and get with the program soon. Though you underestimate how strong Garrett is in the security business so going out of business entirely is unlikely. That may be part of the problem.... more corporate focus elsewhere. Things are shifting quickly however and if they want to stay relevant in the consumer detecting realm they need to pick it up and fast. Things are far from lost for Garrett, and Brent Weaver is as good an engineer as exists in the business. That light weight dry land only ATX with redesigned coils I have been harping on for years still could capture a chunk of the prospecting and beach/relic market at the right price, but the window of opportunity is closing fast with the new Fisher Impulse models near at hand. A Garrett LTX could come in at a much lower price than the Impulse however. It’s just one area Garrett is literally giving away sitting on their hands doing nothing. Nothing in multifrequency or even selectable frequency is making their lineup look dated. I am sure many Garrett fans were hoping the AT Max would be multifrequency for better saltwater performance. Instead they pushed a single frequency circuit to the edge of instability.

Personally I am far from giving up hope on Garrett yet, but the next year or two is a critical juncture and will be telling. They can either show that this proud old name of detecting is not going to give up consumer detecting without a fight, or just milk old designs as long as possible and quietly fade away.

• Like 4

Garret may be surprised  for this year .., Wide experience with detection technology... he has already managed a long time .. I would suggest to focus on the new powerful  GTI class detector ..

• Like 1

I would take anything more ergonomic, with modern features and performance like: better target separation, masking, recovery speed, higher frequencies or selectable frequencies, (simultaneous multi frequency is too much to ask probably) and lots more audio adjustments for their VLF mid level line and any weight improvement and coil options on the ATX.

Jeff

• Like 1

I think there is a new problem now for these slow moving companies that did not used to exist enough to matter. Counterfeiting. If you sit on old models too long you are a sitting duck these days. It's not a huge issue inside the U.S., but I'll bet outside the U.S. there are more counterfeit Garrett's sold than the real thing. One of the only ways you can really fight that is with new models on a regular basis so the counterfeiters at least have to work at it. And all the Garrett models are so old that they have little to no counterfeit protection built in.

• Like 2

A dual frequency ATP with 4-6khz and 15-18khz same time would be slick, adjustable iron audio, larger coil options in the 13" round dd would be killer.

Updating the ATX and stuffing that in the AT series box with a price tag in the tdi ballpark I think would do well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I posed this same question on another forum and got blasted for the question from a lot of Garrett AT Pro users. Apparently over there quite a few AT Pro users are very sensitive and defensive.

Glad to see the topic discussed openly here with out name calling.

I have used many detectors including 3 Garrett detectors with 3 years on the AT Pro before I bought my Nox 800 in march 2018. Heck yes the AT Pro was a great machine, but not keeping up with the new technology.

I suspect the big dog engineers at Garrett are on the security side. Almost every major concert or outdoor events that I have attended in the last 3 years that has security detectors use Garrett. They should spin off the hobby part in new separate company with a few top young engineers. Then and only then I feel we would see something to give the Equinox and XP Deus a run for the money.

• Like 1

Something is in the works at Garrett, heard from a reliable source. No confirmation or denial from Garrett....read what  you will into that.

Maybe they are waiting for the Nokta/Makro, Minelab, XP, storm to settle.

Would be interesting to see what Garrett would come up with.

The last, more modern  Garrett I used was back in 2006, a Gti 2500.

• Like 2