Texas Metal Detecting With GPZ 7000

Hello!   I am somewhat new to metal detecting.   I live around the Waco Texas area and Have a creek that runs behind my house that is a deep run off with caliche, quarts veins and lots of iron and pyrite.  Have not found any gold yet.  Any suggestions.     I have a new gpz 7000 that still gives a lot of ground noise which may  be due to all the iron????? That may be part of problems.  Any suggestions would be helpful : )

Welcome!  The 7000 can be as complicated as you want to make it but I like simple, being so myself. So here are some things to try that may get you to a good  starting point.

Turn the danged thing on.

wait until you get a tone in your headphones or speaker.

bypass the green quick start page. Most here will disagree with this but I can explain why later.

set gold mode to fine gold

set ground type to difficult.

set noise cancel to auto and let it do it's thing.

set sensitivity to about mid range 10 to 12.

set volume to where you like it.

set threshold pitch where you like it.

set volume limit about half way.

set audio smoothing to high.

set ground balance to auto and swing the coil close to the ground (where there are no targets) while the auto ground balance is working. leave the ground balance in auto

This should give you a pretty quiet detector with above average performance compared to other detectors. When you get a bit more familiar with the 7000, start tweaking things more to your liking (tones and volumes) and ground balance, ground type and sensitivity for better performance. A 7000 working poorly is still a very good detector but one set up well and in experienced hands can be fantastic.

You should also see if you can find any mining history in your area. I do a lot of "prospecting" indoors.

This forum is likely the best there is for getting excellent information about detectors and detecting.

Best of luck to you in 2020.

• Like 4

Good advice above. You may also want to try a version of Lunk's Smooth Settings, which like klunker's above rely on a version of the high audio smoothing being engaged.

Lunk's Latest Smooth Settings

Older Version of Lunk's Smooth Settings

Welcome to the forum and Happy New year!

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum!  I especially like this quote

"You should also see if you can find any mining history in your area", especially where your creek runs.

GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 4

Is the creek a known gold producer? If not you may want to start with panning in the creek to see if you can find small trace amounts of gold, pinhead sized flakes, flour gold, etc. If you can't find any small gold in the creek the chance of finding detector sized gold is slim to none. That's true where I'm at anyway. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, klunker said:

set gold mode to fine gold

???  Sounds like a 5000 setting!

What's that you say mn

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Sounds like a 5000 setting!

Your 7000 doesn't have "fine gold"??? To access the fine gold setting you must go into the GPS settings, turn off the back light hold down the right arrow while pushing the globe icon button three times with the detector inverted. Come up here to do some detecting and I'll demonstrate it for you. - - - -Or I might have not completely sobered up and meant to say "high yield".

• Like 1
  • Haha 6