White’s 24K And More Voltage To The Coil?

Jim,  I'm curious how they know it is 54% more power to the coils of the 24K.  It almost seems like 54% would just as easily be 55% or 50%, but for some reason it is stated and known at 54%?  

If the new 24K is getting 54% more power to the coil, what would you say the average depth increase would be on typical rice size gold in average North Nevada soil.  I realize there is no exact answer as there are many variables, but boy they sure were exact letting us know it has "54%".  Reason I am not asking for bigger Au nuggets, as I know the majority of gold found is smaller.

Lunk and I have been doing very well with our 24K's, now we'll have to upgrade to the new 100% waterproof version to add another tool (detector) to the arsenal.

Photos are some of my 24K finds.  For those who don't know, this type of crystalline gold is easier to recover with a VLF detector vs a more expensive PI unit.

1Big24A.jpg

24K3A.jpg

24K5D.JPG

24K6C.JPG

24KSeptD.jpg

24KVB1.jpg

• Like 3

Just so people know what Gerry is referring to:

"Featuring a 50% increase in coil voltage over previous models along with an all-new XGB ground balance system, take your prospecting to new depths with the Goldmaster 24k. This machine represents a new generation of VLF detection technology, with features that both sourdough and greenhorn prospectors can appreciate. Starting with the industry-standard 48 kHz operating frequency, we’ve packed all the necessities into one package to put you on the gold. A large, backlit display shows you all the machine’s settings as well as valuable target information. The Target Graph at the top of the display shows Ferrous, Gold, and High Conductor ranges, which is mirrored with Target ID numbers ranging from 0-99. An all-new XGB ground balance system can handle mineralized ground unlike other VLF prospecting machines." Source: Goldmaster 24K brochure

Though the brochure says 50% not 54% but that could be marketing talking in round numbers.

I’m not Jim but I’ll take a stab at that. Though it seems like if you have used both the GMT and 24K you would be in a position to better answer your own question Gerry than hear it from others. I'm sure the engineers have tools to measure these things though since the brochure and the number you quote conflict I am not sure we are being all that exact. You have probably used the V3i and are familiar with TX Boost? That’s all we are talking about. The 24K and GMX Sport employ full time TX Boost. It’s not linear, 50% more voltage to the coil does not give 50% more depth. The ground determines what happens, and in bad ground it can actually work at cross purposes and offer little or no gain, especially with larger coils. Think of it in terms of turning the sensitivity control up too high in bad ground.

Here is what the V3i manual has to say about TX Boost:

“Tx Boost – Dramatically increases the signal being sent (transmitted) to the search coil (loop). By increasing the transmit signal, the receive signal is also increased. In low mineralized ground, Tx Boost will increase detection depth, however, battery life is also reduced significantly, perhaps as much as 50%. May require adjustment to Rx Gain, Discrimination, and All Metal sensitivity levels. Tx Boost may not be usable in some ground.”

From my report on the V3i:

“The White's V3i does have a 22.5 kHz Prospecting Mode and other features that in theory make it a proficient prospecting detector. The machine is hot on small gold in the 22.5 kHz mode. When the original Vision came out I did some bench tests on it versus the MXT using a 0.7 grain test nugget (480 grains per Troy ounce). An MXT with a 4" x 6" Shooter coil at max Gain would barely signal on the nugget within 1/4" of the coil.

The same Shooter coil was used on the Vision in Prospecting Mode (22.5 kHz only), with no tweaks except max RX Gain. The threshold a bit ratty but no worse than MXT at max Gain. The Vision got a good hit at 2" and whisper at 3". I then engaged the TX (transmit) Boost, raising voltage to the coil from 10V to 30V. I then got a good hit at 3" and whisper at 4". That is a 50% increase on a tiny nugget by engaging TX Boost. This is easily better than MXT performance and actually closer to what I'd expect from a GMT.”

So with the V3i a 300% boost in voltage to the coil resulted in 50% more air test depth on a 0.7 grain nugget. I’d have to guess that even in normal soil under real world conditions that would be cut to a depth increase on a tiny nugget to less than I saw in the air test.

If that is what we are seeing with the V3i then what might we see with machines running at twice the frequency with only a 54% boost in the voltage? You have used the GMT and 24K and can already probably answer that question but my answer is “just a little bit.” I'm doubtful people using a GMT and 24K would note much real world difference with identical coils in actual use. It's probable the GMT already has higher voltage to the coil than the normal V3i setting of 10V. I also suspect boosting it even more would have eaten up too much battery life for too little or no increase at all and so we ended up at 50% (or 54% - whatever) instead of 300%. 

• Like 1

Personally, I see an increase in TX voltage of 54% as a very good step ...

High TX voltage also means very well balanced coils .. especially for very small sizes, ..for medium coil sizes and large coils, these demands are less .

.I believe Whites with the new 24K/GMX is on the right track ...:wink::whites:

Spectra V3..

My experience with TX bost ..... / Tx Normal= 10Volt -  increase to approximately TX Bost ON= 25 Volts / according to my estimates, measurements Whites Spectra V3, I... prove at least 3 facts:

Fact1...Small or medium coil .. strong sensitivity and range increase on the smallest objects - the detectors are in normal TX mode very weakly detectable or have a weaker detection range / or are practically invisible ..
The range can be increased from 10-15-20% .. even to 90% - for very small - weakly detectable / invisible objects.

In the test field I have buried at a depth of 10cm ..3x5mm -0.05 grams of gold "O" segment ..
Spectra V3 detects it well in TXbost ON at 22.5khz ..,
Even on the 3F multi vTx Bost ON to detects- but more than the Borderline signal .. When Tx Bost OFF -un I get no detectable signal ..

..control airtest on the same detector setup confirms field tests:
  On the :
1. Frequency 22.5 Khz is range = 11-cm in normal Tx.
                                     and 12.5-12.8cm in Tx bost ON.=+15%more

2. On 3F multi-F .. is range = 8cm normal Tx.
                                and 10.3cm -10.5cm in TxBostON.=+30%more

Note: the detector which reaches the gold "O" segment at 12cm in the airtest - gives a "good signal" to the same Gold "O" segment buried at 10cm in a slightly mineralized ground..../Always count with at least 10-15% loss of depth in low mineralized ground-... compared to "airtest"! /.                                                                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

Fact 2

. Using TX bost ON - when "properly RX Gain"-not too high  Rx Gain -is .. ... effectively eliminate EMI problems while still maintaining sufficient detection depth.

Fact 3

. It is generally known that when using large Coils / size 18 "/ .. the sensitivity and the impact on very small objects and also small coins will decrease significantly.
One way to achieve real good enough sensitivity and reach ..to

1.For these "Very small "objects to 100-150%.. /gold "O"segment-N.2 /-from 1.2cm Tx Bost OFF..to 3cm !!!..in Tx Bost ON.and...

2.And .." Small" object  to 50%/gold earings  N.3/-from 12cm -Tx Bost OFF... to 17.5cm !!! in Tx Bost ON ...     

3.To  Medium ,or Large object.. .the range is approximately. 10-15% to 20%max is to use TX bost ON ..

Another important benefit of using Tx Bost ON in the Large Coils I've already mentioned ... ... is the better Elimination of EMI ..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo 1...

Item N.2- .... Gold-0.05 Gram "O" segment -  buried  in the deep 10cm...in low mineralized Ground..Detectable Whites SpectraV3  in..TX Bost  and using -6x10" mars Sniper Coil..

559590182_iphone5Smarec6002_DxO.jpg.a44eae74a1186b0c3dedc72502e73cd7.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo2

Item N6..  The 13.5mm-0.45gram Hammered Silver coin Denar in 23cm deph..in low mineralized ground ..detectable Whites Spectra V3-in Tx BostON -and 18" detech excelerator coil..

november 1 iphone5S 2019 004.JPG

• Like 2

I agree that the increase in TX Boost is a good thing, and thank you for that great post EL NINO. I mainly want to warn people not to think 50% more voltage to the coil means 50% more depth, and some people might very well jump to that conclusion. People make assumptions that when overstated end up in disappointment. I prefer to undersell and over-deliver and stay conservative always when talking about performance increases. I would rather people be pleasantly surprised than the other way around. Like everything metal detecting increases are hard to come by and are small in nature.

• Like 1

Mathematically, a 50% increase in drive voltage will produce a 7% increase in depth. This assumes far-field. Very close and very tiny targets can show a bigger impact.

• Like 6