Cracked My DD Coil

kac

I had snagged my dd coil on a log and didn't realize I had put a hairline crack in it until I had noticed it was falsing on me and every time I tapped a small branch or brush it would sound off. I had made a small vacuum degassing chamber/pressure chamber for casting resins out of a paint sprayer and luckily my coil just fit inside. First thing I did was use the vacuum chamber to draw out any moisture. Next I built a small barrier out of some tape, filled it with epoxy then used the pressure chamber at 60 psi to force the epoxy into the crack.

Not perfect but the coil does gb now. I think there are internal cracks that would be impossible to fill but at least I have it as a backup until my new coil comes in.

My next project I think is to give some lexan sheets a go for coil scuffs that cover the bottoms so branches don't get caught up. Friend of mine wants one for his Nox 800 so will see how that goes.

crack.jpg

coil-7E09DAB8DFF6.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

You may be on to something.  Those spokes on Nox stocker coil definitely get snagged often for me in the woods.

Kac,

Nice job using a vacuum chamber! Great idea!

Is that a Nox coil? And do you use a coil cover? I know some people hate them because they can hold debris!

I broke a coil tab on my Nox a few months ago, and Minelab replaced with a new coil! So far, no other issues! 👍👍

Coil I broke was the stock Garrett dd. Was 25F out and snagged it up on a log stepping over brush. Not a brand issue just my stupidity.

How does the lexan hold up scratch wise? I plan on making a form and heat pressing the shape so it fits like a standard cover without glue. Got a few tricks up my sleeve to make them 🙂

• Like 1

Steve probably has this answer for you, having used them before!

I'm thinking the formulation of lexan is a tad softer than for a standard coil cover, but that shouldn't be an issue! And it wouldn't necessarily be in constant use; only for certain situations!👍👍

In theory lexan is more impact resistant than abrasion resistant. All I know is I went with lexan based on the recommendation of prospectors using it in Australia on the GPZ 7000, and they claim it holds up very well under heavy use. Mine I have not scrubbed on the rocks long enough to know for sure. I have used it mainly in deep desert grass as it glides better than the open spoke. Less about wear then getting hung up in my case. Fact is it is way cheaper than a regular scuff cover anyway so if it wears out I will just replace. In my case I have more than one stock coil so devoted a coil to this and glued the lexan directly to the coil. See my link above for details. I have not regretted it. 

• Like 2

As always Steve,

Your "Johnny on the spot"!!👍👍

• Thanks 1

If you're going to crack the lexan then the coil would have cracked anyways. Any kind of impact like that I think would be catastrophic to a coil. Even if you don't see a clean break like I had there would be internal fractures that make it unstable.

I am looking at the .040 sheets as I can heat form them and if it works out I'll make a vacuum frame.