White's 24K Issue?

aufarmer

I purchased a White's 24K this summer and am really liking this detector.  Have an out cropping that I swing a Goldbug II over every year so it's been picked pretty clean, but was surprised to actually get a signal with the 24K and it turn out to be gold.  Thinking when the 6x4 coil comes out I may finally say goodbye to the Goldbug II.  Maybe.

One issue I am having is that it will shut off after a couple hours use.  It would start back up ok but after running a couple hours it would shut down on it's own again.  Just curious if anyone else had encountered this issue?  Contacted Whites but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

• Like 1

I have issues only with my Nimh rechargeable pack. I have to be choosy with the AA cells...some become dodgy over time and voltage drops. If its with Alkaline AA's, then Im guessing its an internal component issue...needs to go back to Whites...

• Like 1

Not always, Jim. My DFX does that and the RNB battery I use in it is the same one I used in my GMT. The GMT never had the problem. I've never worried about the problem in the DFX, as it restarts and runs fine after one of these events. I figured the problem may be the battery contacts, but don't know for sure.

Jim

• Like 2

No problems with the unit I have.

Where you got a slide in battery pack the contacts on the inside will get weak and not always making good contact. The easy fix get something long enough with a hook on the end and pull each contact to you. Don’t over do it but this should correct your problem.

• Like 5

aufarmer  .....

Try a pack with Ni-Mh accumulators  2-3 times in a row charged / leveled / with a 24 hour charge interval .. Sometimes it helps ..

The power of the pack is still dependent on 1 cell accumulator .. and each of them must work properly ..

I think that....One the Ni-MH cells in the "packet" still has a low residual charge voltage .. when the "seem" - fully charged- while charging ... but its voltage in a few hours .. then quickly falls .. So you need it fully charge -to have the right voltage and power capacity ..

I use Whites SpectraV3 and V3i ... replacement 3x 18650 Li-ion pack ... but for other brands of detectors ... I use 1.2- Volt AA  NI-Mh... and also 9-Volt.. Ni-Mh accumulators ...

I had only used it with the batteries that came with it.  So decided to put some brand new name brand batteries in it and started it up and left it in my basement.  I’ll go check on it after a few hours and see if it’s still running.  Hope that fixes the problem.  

• Like 2

Ridge Runner had the same fix I had to do on an X-Terra 70 and 705.  Both times when I got those detectors they cut out on me the same way.  They don't have slide in battery packs but did have weak springs keeping the batteries from making good contact.  GaryC/Oregon Coast