White's 24K Issue?

aufarmer

On 1/5/2020 at 3:12 PM, Jim in Idaho said:

Not always, Jim. My DFX does that and the RNB battery I use in it is the same one I used in my GMT. The GMT never had the problem. I've never worried about the problem in the DFX, as it restarts and runs fine after one of these events. I figured the problem may be the battery contacts, but don't know for sure.

Jim

Hmm... Hello Jim. This "event" is the auto switch off. They mentioned this in the DFX300 manual pg.3. First when I heard about this Auto-Feature it was for the XLT, so may be they (White's) had this in some other detectors, too.?

1521052123_DFXAutoSwitchOff.jpg.f6c78f779c79cfb68fac4237bb513ec0.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/5/2020 at 7:35 AM, Ridge Runner said:

Where you got a slide in battery pack the contacts on the inside will get weak and not always making good contact. The easy fix get something long enough with a hook on the end and pull each contact to you. Donโ€™t over do it but this should correct your problem.

So here's an interesting thing I found in addition to pulling out the battery contacts inside the batt compartment, which is only 8 torx screws to remove,just be careful removing it since the buttons for release are near the sidewalls.

ย 

So I pulled my battery pack out and noticed the batteries weren't snug,the first and last sets were both very loose causing batteries to not make contact thereby cutting off power to the unit. So I'm pretty sure that was the issue, you may want to check your battery pack as well and check for loose batteries.thankfully I had 2 extra packs and all of a snug, that as well as pulling the springs inside to make more contact with battery pack should do the trick!๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

Many thanks, Locator! That's apparently exactly what's going on. I hadn't picked up on that. I'm going to try that, and see what happens. Thanks again,

Jim

• Like 1

23 hours ago, locator said:

Hmm... Hello Jim. This "event" is the auto switch off. They mentioned this in the DFX300 manual pg.3. First when I heard about this Auto-Feature it was for the XLT, so may be they (White's) had this in some other detectors, too.?

1521052123_DFXAutoSwitchOff.jpg.f6c78f779c79cfb68fac4237bb513ec0.jpg

Wow, have a DFX still, and never ran across or at least remembered this one. Talk about a rare feature!

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, aufarmer said:

I purchased a White's 24K this summer and am really liking this detector. ย Have an out cropping that I swing a Goldbug II over every year so it's been picked pretty clean, but was surprised to actually get a signal with the 24K and it turn out to be gold. ย Thinking when the 6x4 coil comes out I may finally say goodbye to the Goldbug II. ย Maybe.

One issue I am having is thatย it will shut off after a couple hours use. ย It would start back up ok but after running a couple hours it would shut down on it's own again. ย Just curious if anyone else had encountered this issue? ย Contacted Whites but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

ย 

I purchased a White's 24K this summer and am really liking this detector. ย Have an out cropping that I swing a Goldbug II over every year so it's been picked pretty clean, but was surprised to actually get a signal with the 24K and it turn out to be gold. ย Thinking when the 6x4 coil comes out I may finally say goodbye to the Goldbug II. ย Maybe.

One issue I am having is thatย it will shut off after a couple hours use. ย It would start back up ok but after running a couple hours it would shut down on it's own again. ย Just curious if anyone else had encountered this issue? ย Contacted Whites but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Soย this is a follow up after "tweaking" my slidein battery pack for the 24K of which the battery contacts prongs weren't fully extending out thereby preventing the AA batteries from making good contact with each other, this slop design would shutdown my 24K, this was a brand new machine not even a few weeks old when it started exhibiting this problem.ย 

This was my first bum machine that i had bought from Jim Mculloch, through no fault of his own i must add, it was just a design flaw or product defect, Jim has always been very helpful in rectifying issues and calling Whites direct to assist if needed. But when Whites went dark, I had to fend for myself even though Centreville Electronics was there, I had to try and fix the basics on my end first before resorting to warranty repair.

ย 

Inย addition I also removed the control box cover to "pull" the battery contact springs outward a bit more and I did this very carefully, this extra tweak also insured the battery pack making contact with the control box making for good contact to maintain power. Doing these 2 things, will definitely improve your shutdown issue, if it's not Circuit Board issue, which i highly doubt since White's made their electronics to last for a good long time.

So after making the 20 minute tweaks, I'm happy to report that my 24K hasn't shut down at all, i took it on a hunt all day yesterday and it used it literally all day long and was ecstatic that it didn't shut down because it would shut down every 15-30 minutes or so or until the batteries lost contact with each other. These battery pack issues are very common, i had the same issue with my MX7 and has since been resolved by employing the same tweak. Hope this helps for you Fellow Whites Electronics enthusiasts and users!

• Like 3

On 1/5/2020 at 11:52 PM, karelian said:

I like the Whites battery tray system, but it requires me to 'test' each one of the eight AA cells as I load the tray. My father was an electronics technician and when gadgets failed his first question was always the same.. 'Did you check the batteries.?'ย  In my experience he was on to something.ย  Ok, the Pelican AA battery holder may be excessive, but the cheap tester is well worth it and I have a 'system' in place which means failures are rare.ย  Cheaper ammo boxes keep AA cells well sorted, clean and protected whilst ready for use. Most of my machines run on AA cells, I also use them on GPS, radios, torches, battery banks etc. I buy 'bricks' of bulk AA cells, quality but cheap, new technology some with ten year cell life. Too many cheap and nasty cells out there so it pays to be a bit fussy about what we 'feed' our expensive toys..

All the best, Karelian

ย 

batt1.jpg

batt2.jpg

batt3.jpg

batt11.jpg

batt12.jpg

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

just bought this BT-168D from amazon, cheap but invaluable tool.Interstingly all of my 8 batteries were 1.58 volts so batteries werent the problem but rather the darn slideout abttery pack with incorrectly adjusted contacts of which has been fixed by pulling forward and now the slop of batteries has been fixed no more shutdown! : )

On 1/5/2020 at 6:12 AM, Jim in Idaho said:

Not always, Jim. My DFX does that and the RNB battery I use in it is the same one I used in my GMT. The GMT never had the problem. I've never worried about the problem in the DFX, as it restarts and runs fine after one of these events. I figured the problem may be the battery contacts, but don't know for sure.

Jim

great suggestion but the 24K doesnt have an auto off switch like the DFX. That is an excellent tip to remember though ; )

• Like 1

AUFARMER did you ever get your problem resolved with the shutdown of your 24K? see my latest port if you haven't.

35 minutes ago, Jerry Perez said:

AUFARMER did you ever get your problem resolved with the shutdown of your 24K? see my latest port if you haven't.

I used it for a couple hours since and it appears to be working properly. ย 

• Like 1