Simplex+ Speaker Went Out

52 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I would just send the motor back to save on shipping costs.:laugh:

We actually used to do that with the older machines. Have them pull the motor and ship it in. We even built a setup in our shop with a clutch and such we could mount the motors on to test run and dyno them. I was being conservative with my $800 one way number. Airfreight goes not just by weight but by space taken, and it can run over a grand to ship a snowmobile out to a remote location via airfreight. It called for extreme measures when possible to deal with that.

Now there are super duper electronic whiz bang theft detection devices integrated into the electronic ignition with sensors distributed  throughout the system that makes this all but impossible. It is in fact getting near impossible to service ATV, snowmobile, and outboard motors without a laptop and official company diagnostic software. It is getting to be a real issue in remote locations, where it’s just you and your tool kit 100 miles up some river with an outboard that just quit. Often the motor is just fine, but a sensor has quit or is misreading and will not let the motor start.

• Like 1

Guess it depends on the product too. I have had items where they just replace it and not want the original back. Other products the mfg would pay the shipping both ways. I had to ship my AT Pro back for repairs to Garrett and for out of warranty stuff they charge $40+ parts and labor over and above the shipping I pay to get it there.

With something like a detector if a company didn't require the user to pay to ship initially then I wonder how many frivolous shipments would be made to the company for repairs even if it could be forgot to put fresh batteries in etc...

Have you seen any studies on prices in new Zealand compared to others and how much of the difference is due to consumer protection laws? I like the protections but they tend to get built into prices.

Well I took the time to read the warranty and it says I along is responsible for shipping back to repair center. It also says that I need a RMA ( return material authorization) . My RMA was send it in and be sure to say what’s wrong with it. This was told to me by the guy on the other end and the phone number came from the label on the box it came in. It also had the address where to ship for repair.

The warranty says if you do just about anything on taking it apart could void your warranty.

This info was the same that was posted on the forum dealing with the address.

I hope I receive a new Simplex back being if opened it may not be sealed correctly. That waterproof detector may not be that anymore.

If and when I get it back I’ll test it first to be sure it’s working but after it will get a water test . I don’t want to find another problem down the road.

Chuck 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Kac

Yes I did get it back within a week. I do believe Dilek has something to do with it being it came back to me on two day mail. I do believe so got a new detector back .

Because of rain and being cold I’ve had just one opportunity to get out detecting. I want to get out again before I write a show and tell. I will say the first time out was nothing but great. People talk about other detectors having a rock solid ID and that’s the same I see in the Simplex.

Later on this .

Chuck 

• Like 1