Sign in to follow this  
Mark Gillespie

Very Old Hair Barrette?

Dug this hair barrette from a very old home site.

Old house site hunt.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Dug this hair barrette

I believe that is for a woman's shawl, it would be missing the pin that goes through the material.

I have seen similar pieces before, it should date around the late 1800's to early 1930's.

Most were made out of silver or silver plating.

Very nice find.

• Like 4

I found pieces of one with similar pattern and also thought it was part of a frame. Nice finds.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Againstmywill
      Last week I had the opportunity to go back to Wisconsin and hunt my old homestead that was settled in 1845. Last year I found my first Barber Dime dated 1899 when I detected there. This year, the only old coin was a buffalo nickel from 1939 ( I'll post that pic later.). There were a couple neat relics, however. The Equinox 11" coil was used, Park 1, highest sensitivity possible, and speed of 4. Here are a few pics. The bell still rings, and it is a first for me. The lantern has a patent date of 1872, and the stove board has a patent date of 1878. 

• By Gerry in Idaho
      I was detecting a site yesterday (1900 to 1940's) and made a few interesting finds.
      The video can be view on my "Gerry McMullen" facebook page.
      How old do you think this Dr. Scholl's brass metal insert is and does anyone know of collectors for such stuff?
      The other 2 items are sterling and the pin is stamped.  Looks like a military type pin, and your help in ID'ing is needed.
      The flower was a little more black and when I rubbed it it shined, like a coin does.  it looks like it could have had a stone in it.
      Anyway, I was hoping some of you could ID a couple of these and other folks can learn from them.
      Thanks in advance.

• By Rick
      Well Im a rich man I can retire    This it what I found up front 6 inched down     and the other 2,    20 yds from the first, 8 inches down ,20ft away from each other...... Wow I  need a drink now.........

• By GKman
      CT Todd and I got out to a cellar hole that we have been meaning to detect for a couple years. The property is huge and we have done well at the other ones on it but just hadn't made it out to this one yet.
      I was finding lots of flat buttons and some other interesting relics. But then within moments of each other these two popped out of the ground..
      I have been waiting a long long time to find one of these. But the detecting gods were looking down upon me today and gave me two...

Also found a copper, and seated dime

• By Bash
      I was playing around with the Vanquish 440 in the parking strip yesterday afternoon, when I got a very strong consistent signal in the 4 -6 range. I haven't been digging many signals in this range, as I don't get many, and all I have dug, have been trash. This one was strong and not choppy at all, so I proceeded to dig.
      Glad I did!
      I pulled out a James M. Cox presidential campaign stud from the 1920 presidential election. His running mate was Franklin D. Roosevelt!  They lost to the Harding - Coolidge ticket.  This is pretty degraded, but cool to find just the same. Gonna have to go back and dig those lower signals!  I've included a picture of one in good condition.

• By Caretaker me
      got out Sunday, it was perfect to detect, hit the woods, a new spot, picked up a few keepers