1912 5 Centimos Costa Rica

DukeBoxer

Last year I moved down to Costa Rica and brought with me 2 Tesoros, the Compadre and the Mojave, and an Equinox 800. I've been dying to get to the beaches but we live inland from the north west coast beaches and we've recently opened a little restaurant in our town so there's not much time for me to get to the beach. I decided if I can't get to the beach I'm going to detect the soccer field in the center and try to get permissions from the people with old houses in town. The other night after I closed up shop I tossed some stuff in the car and pulled out the detector and walked across the street and started going at it. I found a bunch of coins,a button and some nice sounding aluminum and then I got a signal that hit right where all the coins hit, about 19/20. I thought it was another button because it had what looked like a shank on one side but I was seeing a wreath and thought it could be something good. Then when I cleaned some more dirt off and saw the 900 I knew I had something great! I think it was used as some sort of jewelry, maybe hanging off a bracelet because there's a dot of solder right in the middle on the reverse and what I thought was a shank turned out to be silver wire. It's smaller than a dime, maybe the size of a half dime but I've never seen one. It's 1 gram of 90% silver. In the year I've been here it's the best find I've made

IMG_20200103_075944.thumb.jpg.26d273e2d5991226129e408a179994c8.jpgIMG_20200103_075955.thumb.jpg.dc39d908f565d01a2b8debe360a1c9a3.jpgIMG_20200103_080247.thumb.jpg.80c40f6439fc06d2c9f28cdf3bf72e73.jpg

• Like 5

Still a beautiful piece.

• Like 2

Cool digs and you'll do better as you learn the area.

• Like 2

Great finds, wish you more luck in  the area where you are at.

Hope to see you get to the beach soon.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Gerry, I bought the detector from you and it's been damn good to me! I found its first gold the day I got it and pulled 4 gold rings, 2 gold charms and a bunch of old silver coins from a small beach in my home town. I'm heading to a beach here with 2 big hotels on it next Monday, Riu Guanacaste and Riu Palace. Negative tides and hopefully some jewelry to be had!

• Like 1