Broken Ears ... Fix / Prevention?

So one of the ears on my 3 month old Equinox 600 11" coil has busted ( see picture). Will Minelab replace this under warranty? Once replaced is there a way to help prevent a reoccurrence? if they won't replace it, any ideas on a self fix?

Thanks

Brian

20200105_135433.jpg

Unfortunately the broken piece is gone  ... I did send the America's support center a e-mail with pictures, will give them a few days then call if they don't respond .

• The title was changed to Broken Ears ... Fix / Prevention?

Castleberry,

Minelab replaced my coil with a brand new one last year for free! They even sent a new coil cover and bolt and washers! All under warranty! Took about a month, due to coils being backordered! But they gave me zero problems! Good luck!👍👍

About 5 years back I managed to snap off one of the lugs on my Etrac 11" coil right across the bolt hole but still had the snapped off piece so decided to do the repair myself as the coil was out of warranty and I did a similar job to that on the video above, I used Araldite and bought black nylon - plastic M8 Penny Washers off ebay these are a perfect replacement fit and after applying a coating of Araldite to the outer side of the snapped lug and a thin coat to the roughened surface of the M8 Penny Washer and making sure that the bolt holes married up I used sprung clothes pegs to hold secure the joint until the bonding had set.    The resulting repair lasted for years and remained secure for ever after even swinging the coil among tough stubble.         If you can't find your snapped off part of the lug you can easily form a replica of the lost bit using one of the Penny Washers grinding it down with a Dremel.

The link below is for Ebay here in the UK but I am sure if you type in Black Nylon - Plastic M8 Penny Washers you will be successful.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-Nylon-Plastic-M8-PENNY-WASHERS-OD-24-0mm-ID-8-4mm-T-2-0mm-Pack-of-25/301722703799?epid=1888089412&hash=item46401317b7:g:S6YAAOSwDk5UBGkk

• Like 2

Minelab replaced my coil but like Joe D. , it took about a month due to coil shortages. They will give you a repair number for the box but you pay the return shipping. Should not be a problem if you are still under warranty. 

Ive had one replaced so ..... yes.   I now have that 3D printer support on mine.  It works very well.   If for some reason they shouldnt want to replace it.... but i cant see why they wouldnt...... you might try this support and use industrial epoxy to glue it onto the exsisting ears.

IMG_0293.JPG

• Like 3

Years ago I had ears break off my 3030 17" coil.  I could not glue or acetone my way to fixing it and Minelab would not fix it so I bought a replacement set of ears made by someone in New York of industrial rubber/plastic that fit the screw holes.  It was flexible enough to be able to tighten without breaking.

This U shaped ear and bottom was then attached to the coil with cable ties which has worked just fine.

Mitchel

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2020 at 5:50 AM, dewcon4414 said:

Ive had one replaced so ..... yes.   I now have that 3D printer support on mine.  It works very well.   If for some reason they shouldnt want to replace it.... but i cant see why they wouldnt...... you might try this support and use industrial epoxy to glue it onto the exsisting ears.

IMG_0293.JPG

Hi everyone. I ordered this orange piece but did not epoxy it on do to being in warranty. That orange piece is made VERY poorly. Mine cracked along with the ear of the coil. 

Dave