Telescoping Vs Folding Shafts

I often hike the woods to get to old home sites, so I carry my detector and gear in a backpack. 
  Rather than disassembling and reassembling every time it’s much better to have something that allows you to collapse or fold the detector so that it will fit in the backpack, and also take less time to get ready to use or pack up. 
  Of the two types-telescoping shafts, and folding shafts, I think the folding is better. First, it costs less, about $50 for the part. Second, it takes one motion while depressing a button to get ready for use whereas both ends of the telescoping have to be unlocked positioned and locked again. Also with folded, the height is always maintained- not so with telescoping. 
    The folding unit adds about 5 oz of weight to the lower mid section, but is not significant. As for strength, I’ve not noticed any slack or wobble at all. 
    I only bring this up for those who want a collapsing detector to show there is an option other than the telescoping ones advertised. And also to say I think the folding style is in my opinion better. 
  What do you think?

• Like 2

Interesting,  didn't know it was an option,  although it makes sense.  Do you have a link to the part? I'll search around too.

I have a telescoping shaft for the 800 and have had no problems with it at all. No wobble,  it doesn't get clogged up with sand from the beach, no problem adjusting the shaft to the length that I prefer. All in all it has been a perfect add-on. I'm sure either type of shaft will be a help.

Hey all!

Just for clarification's sake, I assume, relicmeister, that when you say "telescoping shaft," you are referring to shafts like the "Tele-Knox," that are comprised of several small tubes that "slide into each other" telescopically, through the use of multiple cam locks?  I ask, only to perhaps clarify, for some folks.  Reason being, I personally call nearly ANY shaft for the Equinox a "telescopic" shaft, even just a two-piece shaft, since the smaller tube "telescopically" slides into the upper tube.  So I have always called two-piece shafts, or even the stock three-piece shaft, "telescopic" shafts, since they all have at least one piece that "slides into" another, larger piece above it.  But I don't THINK these types of shafts are the ones you are specifically referring to, right?  I think you are asking about shafts that are designed with MULTIPLE telescopic sections, which then collapse down to a very small length, correct?

Steve

I hike and bike so also wanted the option of a backpack to carry gear. I got the folding Mod and it is sturdy. It was a trade off with adding 5 oz.

Folded with the stock coil the width is 17" due to control unit.

I am making this more compact, ordered the Mod to fold down the control unit.  Being 5' tall, I like a smaller packs, and the 17" W wasn't fitting as well as hoped in what I had, and didn't want to go with a pack that bounced on my rump. 🙂

I"ll  post more pics when new mod is installed

HH all!

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

• Like 1

22 hours ago, relicmeister said:

I often hike the woods to get to old home sites, so I carry my detector and gear in a backpack. 
  Rather than disassembling and reassembling every time it’s much better to have something that allows you to collapse or fold the detector so that it will fit in the backpack, and also take less time to get ready to use or pack up. 
  Of the two types-telescoping shafts, and folding shafts, I think the folding is better. First, it costs less, about $50 for the part. Second, it takes one motion while depressing a button to get ready for use whereas both ends of the telescoping have to be unlocked positioned and locked again. Also with folded, the height is always maintained- not so with telescoping. 
    The folding unit adds about 5 oz of weight to the lower mid section, but is not significant. As for strength, I’ve not noticed any slack or wobble at all. 
    I only bring this up for those who want a collapsing detector to show there is an option other than the telescoping ones advertised. And also to say I think the folding style is in my opinion better. 
  What do you think?

Well since you asked, appears to be a passable functional alternative to the collapsible telescoping shaft. But IMO seems like too much clap trap, requires cutting of the original shaft to install which might make it unnattractive to resell, adds weight below the grip where it definitely is unwanted in a toe heavy machine, and having that massive elbow in my swing sight line is unsightly to me.    My collapsible telescoping shaft actually sheds weight instead of adding it and combined with the small coil sets up well for detecting in pits and huts, along vertical surfaces and in tailing piles in close quarters which makes it a great "pinpointer on steroids" for relic hunting.  Yes, the collapsible shaft costs more but at the end of the day I have two perfectly functional shaft systems rather than one for about twice the price (I could sell the original shaft if I was so inclined to further  defray cost).  So, the pros and cons seem to even out, but I like and use the added versatility in tight situations the collapsible shaft affords me (i.e., I can actually use it while collapsed, unlike the folded shaft setup), so I am a fan of that vs. the folding shaft.

Regardless, I am interested in where more information on the folding shaft mod and the folding control head mod can be obtained.  No information in that regard was provided that I could see.

20190825_204248.jpg

• Like 3

Chase, Regardless, I am interested in where more information on the folding shaft mod and the folding control head mod can be obtained.  No information in that regard was provided that I could see.

I'm not sure but it looks to me like it's the stock shaft just cut with the folding mechanism added. The control head is just swiveled by depressing the locking pin. That's the way I did mine when putting it in the case before getting one of the carbon shafts. Maybe...lol Tom

1 hour ago, Tometusns said:

Chase, Regardless, I am interested in where more information on the folding shaft mod and the folding control head mod can be obtained.  No information in that regard was provided that I could see.

I'm not sure but it looks to me like it's the stock shaft just cut with the folding mechanism added. The control head is just swiveled by depressing the locking pin. That's the way I did mine when putting it in the case before getting one of the carbon shafts. Maybe...lol Tom

Tom - Thanks.  I know the stock shaft is cut (mentioned it as a disadvantage in my post) but was wondering where this elbow thing can be obtained to see if other useful mod mechanisms are offered there.  Also, I see that Ms. Molewhacker is using the locking pin swivel trick, but she also mentioned she is getting a mod to the control head to enable it to be folded down, so was wondering where that can be obtained.  

• Like 1