Telescoping Vs Folding Shafts

6 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Here is one on Ebay.

I prefer telescoping myself as I don’t need extra weight.

Thanks, Steve.  

Curious note included in the listing - might want to pass if you are concerned about flex with the stock or larger coil... "If you use an oversize coil you may experience more flex than desired. If you are swinging your machine at correct speeds with the standard coil or a smaller coil, any flex in the shaft is not noticeable for most users."

As a more general note, I havent tried to put the equinox in a backpack yet but I used to do it lots with the lobo. I personally never found reassembling and disassembling the 3 peice shaft to be cumbersome at all. I doubt it took me a minute. 

• Like 3

I actually have this very same folding joint, but I could not get on well with it, so had to purchase a new middle shaft. Once installed, the rigidity was gone, especially with the heavier 15" coil. It is an excellent idea, but the plastic just does not do it. It felt like a wet noodle. It really needs stiffer material to work. Perhaps one can get used to it, not sure, but any wobble in the shaft distracts me from enjoying detecting.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 11:15 PM, Lacky said:

As a more general note, I havent tried to put the equinox in a backpack yet but I used to do it lots with the lobo. I personally never found reassembling and disassembling the 3 peice shaft to be cumbersome at all. I doubt it took me a minute. 

Same here.  I have a FTP detector backpack and it fits the EQ800 w/stock coil and headphones fine.  

What I'd be curious to know is what after market rod setup sheds the most weight while reducing coil wobble?

Best,
Cal

12 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

What I'd be curious to know is what after market rod setup sheds the most weight while reducing coil wobble?

It is not the telescoping or folding rods. A two piece carbon rod would do that the best. A single piece would in theory be better yet but most of us want adjustable length and at least minimum breakdown capability.

• Like 1

Cal -- I can provide you with a good, light two-piece shaft that will result in ZERO wobble.  I know there are shafts that are very slightly lighter than mine, but this is accomplished by thinner tube wall diameters.  I try to strike a good balance between strength, and weight.

Steve

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Same here.  I have a FTP detector backpack and it fits the EQ800 w/stock coil and headphones fine.  

Best,
Cal

Sheds the most weight compared to what, the stock Equinox rod and stem?

Or which one is lightest overall?  As Steve H. said, most of the mult-piece CF systems like steveg's system eliminate wobble by providing appropriate tube wall thickness.  This typically results in something a few ounces heavier than the Equinox stock shaft system.  If it's lighter than the Equinox system, it typically has some flex or wobble.

• Like 1

Here’s a few pictures of my folding 600 and my Makro backpack. I don’t know how to do a link in my phone but you will find the folding unit on eBay  at dans treasure products search on Fold and go metal detector modification. 
    I wasn’t aware that the telescoping ( to about 20” length via kits available on eBay) are lighter than stock, and as I said the unit is 5 oz and you will cut a section out of the middle shaft about 2 oz removed so you will add about 3 oz-not significant. And there is zero flexure or slack although I’m 5’7” and haven’t tried it extended as it would be for someone 6’2”. I found the install to be very easy. My equinox is 25” folded but as I said all I do is unfold -I don’t mess with shaft length. 
   Anyone seeking a good backpack should consider the Makro, it’s large and very well made. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2