3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I think it shows just how much fun we are going to have PPing and getting that 12.5" coil in a hole chest deep water.  I straddled a few holes in my day (that didnt come out right) but looks like i may need a snorkel.   I understand they ARE making a smaller coil available.... didnt say when.... but have you tested it JAG and what size will it be?

Dew-I was just thinking the same thing, not to long ago I was in knee deep water in a bay with my GPX (yea crazy I know, not waterproof), it took me 45 minutes to recover a silver dollar and I only had the 8" x 12" coil on. 

It's going to be interesting to check out the coil with the Audiosears speaker and determined if dead center on the coil is the Hottest Spot. (That is what it looks like in the video) I am almost thinking this all might work out on deep targets if you just take your time and circle the target like LE JAG does, and have a deep hitting scoop. My biggest issue is going to be making sure I don't start digging targets in deep water where I have to go under to get to the target, fine during the summer but winter is a No No.  By the time we have this figured out maybe the smaller coil will be out by then.  Being able to get the coil in the deep hole would be a a lot easier.................One question.......I'm wondering if the coil size goes from the stock 12.5 inch to a 8 inch .............how much depth will be lost with the "AQ"? I know the excalibur lost about 1 to 2 inch's going from 10 inch's to 7.5 inch's in All metal. IS it the same with a PI? A few inch's depth can make all the difference in the world when it comes to finding gold.

I have never had an issue pinpointing non-ferrous targets with a large mono coil, even my 18” mono on my GPX. They detect in the center unless extremely shallow - then under each edge (double blip). It’s long ferrous targets that kill me. They act like magnets, signal off each end, and one end almost always predominates. This creates an apparent “ghost signal” off one end of the target, in my case usually a large nail. In practice this often means a nail directly under one edge of the coil. There are many times I dug a sweet signal only to finally think “this hole is too deep” and when examining the sidewalls with a pinpointer pulled a nail out I’d gone past by a foot.

That is while nugget detecting on dry land. Long ferrous in the water and a larger mono coil could be a disaster. From my perspective however a 12.5” mono is not all that large so I’m not too worried about it. The 8” mono will be a piece of cake.

• Like 3

Steve ..... take it out there chest deep in water you can’t even see your coil in.... try to keep your balance and not get that deep target on the side of the hole in the first dig.   Things tend to move off that sweet spot it seems to in the salt water.   You can get a chuckle watching a first timer.   Lot of things going on in moving water lol.  One reason people also like a DD coil that PPs easy on the tip.

Joe .... did Cliff call you reference using the audio sears on the MDT?  Didn’t work.... so I’m wondering if it will on a PI? 

2 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

take it out there chest deep in water you can’t even see your coil in....

This may turn out to be somewhat of a mute point.  With the initial released info that the detector was rated for 1 meter depth, it appears that this was designed as a shoreline detector meant to be used at waters edge.  The 1 meter rating would provide protection if dropped into the water.

The later 3 meter figure suggests an attempt to turn this into a wader type detector which would be fine in fresh water.  Because, further info reveals that the detectors ground balancing system will not be able cancel saltwater and allow detection of small gold, with the coil submerged in saltwater.

So the question remains open as to how stable will it be in say waist high saltwater with waves rolling in?  Will it's depth be similar to existing PI's?  How stable will it be compared to existing PI's?  What about the salinity levels at various geographic locations? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Steve ..... take it out there chest deep in water you can’t even see your coil in.... try to keep your balance and not get that deep target on the side of the hole in the first dig.   Things tend to move off that sweet spot it seems to in the salt water.   You can get a chuckle watching a first timer.   Lot of things going on in moving water lol.  One reason people also like a DD coil that PPs easy on the tip.

Joe .... did Cliff call you reference using the audio sears on the MDT?  Didn’t work.... so I’m wondering if it will on a PI? 

Yes it works on PI's, that MDT is not your normal. I wrote Cliff back, just sent

1 hour ago, LowTide said:

This may turn out to be somewhat of a mute point.  With the initial released info that the detector was rated for 1 meter depth, it appears that this was designed as a shoreline detector meant to be used at waters edge.  The 1 meter rating would provide protection if dropped into the water.

The later 3 meter figure suggests an attempt to turn this into a wader type detector which would be fine in fresh water.  Because, further info reveals that the detectors ground balancing system will not be able cancel saltwater and allow detection of small gold, with the coil submerged in saltwater.

So the question remains open as to how stable will it be in say waist high saltwater with waves rolling in?  Will it's depth be similar to existing PI's?  How stable will it be compared to existing PI's?  What about the salinity levels at various geographic locations? 

My same questions, was it tested in  rough waters.....saltwater and black sand ..chest deep. 

4 hours ago, LowTide said:

My exact thoughts and questions. Really hoping it performs well in saltwater., but the initial 1 m waterproof rating also makes me think it was designed for the wet sand area.