I’m reasonably sure the - at one time - rumored 1 M rating was info based on the state of development of the AQ mechanical package at the time - it very likely had NOTHING to do with the electronic performance.

I believe that Alexandre has already pretty much answered the question when it was posed in the form of - “my former PI beach machine needed to have mpulse delay increased to XX to operate in open water and the AQ highest pulse delay is 17 microseconds - how can that be?” Alexandre’s answer if I recall correctly was basically that careful circuit and coil design made it unnecessary to provide for longer pulse delay settings in any “non deep diving” situation.

• Like 2

I have read posts by Alexandre stating the Impulse is locked permanently in “salt mode” even in all metal mode, and that there should be no expectation it will detect tiny gold items. In fact it is by design excluding small aluminum in order to focus of gold rings to the exclusion of almost anything else. This implies an insensitivity to saltwater that should be in favor of stable operation at depth.

You can’t really complain the detector will not pick up small gold items then turn around and get overly concerned it might be too sensitive to saltwater. It’s one or the other, and the machine is stated to be insensitive to saltwater, small aluminum and small gold by design. In any case this is the reason why we have a pulse delay control and a sensitivity control so it seems to me like concerns over saltwater stability is a blown up issue. It’s not like the machine is preset with no adjustments available.

• Like 3

Carl once mentioned .... the IP rating as far as depth is mostly left up to the company and how willing they maybe to stand behind it.   Obviously there are written IP standards leaving a lot of flexibility.    Was this changed after a good many hours in the water?    I heard someone was a tester in Hawaii...... if so they might answer a good many of those questions.    They have said it will run in most cases at 7uS quiet in the salt water.   IF its going to ..... it most certainly should here in Fl.    I may be wrong, but i think currently there are only a few using 10uS .... the DF is 15 and its a bit chatty out there.   Some maybe saying it has the ability to run at 7us...... but will that happen in the salt water.... moving especially.   Thou most of the time that chatter comes from coil control...... or lack of.

I agree Steve ...... theres no free lunch in the salt water.   Testing will determine..... what small gold might be lost on that end in the water.  However..... for the most part the machine we now use ARENT getting that small gold either.   And ..... no i wasnt implying you didnt have the experience....... simply most are going to find it a challenge since they are used to DD coils.   Oh...... thats going to be a lot of fanning lol.

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have read posts by Alexandre stating the Impulse is locked permanently in “salt mode” even in all metal mode, and that there should be no expectation it will detect tiny gold items. In fact it is by design excluding small aluminum in order to focus of gold rings to the exclusion of almost anything else. This implies an insensitivity to saltwater that should be in favor of stable operation at depth.

You can’t really complain the detector will not pick up small gold items then turn around and get overly concerned it might be too sensitive to saltwater. It’s one or the other, and the machine is stated to be insensitive to saltwater, small aluminum and small gold by design. In any case this is the reason why we have a pulse delay control and a sensitivity control so it seems to me like concerns over saltwater stability is a blown up issue. It’s not like the machine is preset with no adjustments available.

I agree Steve ...... theres no free lunch in the salt water.  Testing will determine..... what small gold might be lost on that end in the water.  However..... for the most part the machine we now use ARENT getting that small gold either.

• Like 1

It’s also important to remember that “still” saltwater allows for quicker delays than “moving” saltwater. Working in 5 feet of calm saltwater is far easier (in terms of running shorter pulse delays) than 1 to 2 feet of fast moving saltwater.

• Like 3

Well... I guess we do have to leave some small gold behind for the next generation of hunters or they'll have nothing to look for!  ☺️

• Like 3

For a very long time this detector’s great claim to fame via forum postings was the ability to simultaneously ground balance against Black Sand AND Saltwater.  The timings on the control panel would lead one to believe that there was a True Saltwater ground balance capability.  That coupled with aforementioned hoopla would infer that those timings could be used in the surf with full sensitivity against small gold targets.  A True Saltwater ground balance capability would also infer that the detector was immune to wave action and poor coil control.   Apparently this is now not the case and there is a Saltwater “Compensation Function"(Desensitizing).  So it now appears that “in the water” this detector will provide little additional benefit against existing products.  With this in mind, price point is now going to grow in importance, especially compared to used PI’s where this may end up at a 3X or 4X multiple.

In my humble opinion and about 1500 hours of diving, with more than 100 pieces of gold or a few kilos carrying 90% CZ I can say that I do not care about small parts since it is the same job as taking out a large one, where the priority is to optimize the air duct, it will always be better to go fat, now surfing with constant waves and standing scoop always lift rings and coins without problems.

now I need a detector of greater depth, since I know the places where the sea accumulates the metals

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LowTide said:

That coupled with aforementioned hoopla would infer that those timings could be used in the surf with full sensitivity against small gold targets.

When was it ever "inferred" that the machine could alter the physics of salt conductivity compensation and magically see targets that also fall in the same range.  I missed that one.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 5:56 AM, Chase Goldman said:

When was it ever "inferred" that the machine could alter the physics of salt conductivity compensation and magically see targets that also fall in the same range.  I missed that one.

Well since you "missed it".

Here is a quote:

"The Manta has two key characteristics which aim to make it a deadly gold hunter. First and most important, it claims to be more sensitive to ALL gold than any previous salt water detector. It does this by having an adjustable pulse delay control which goes down below 10 microseconds pulse delay - this has two effects, it enables finding smaller gold than any current detector in salt water and second Manta has more depth on all gold. All this sensitivity would be no good if weak target signals were swamped by circuit and ground noise. The Manta’s design has been refined and every design trade off made in the direction of extremely low noise, letting weak signal be heard."

Please pay particular note to the phrase:

"it enables finding smaller gold than any current detector in salt water and second Manta has more depth on all gold."

It's really not an inference, I was being kind and gentile per Steve's desire for this forum's level of decorum, it's a direct quote of a claim with direct reference to "in salt water".  To me the that phrase refers to a detector coil submerged in salt water.  NOT on a saltwater beach or shoreline etc. 

Here is the link where you will find this:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/580704-new-fisher-pi-ricks-manta-manifesto.html

• Like 1