New Shipping Problems For Lithium Ion Batteries?

It seems requirements around shipping or flying with Lithium Ion batteries are increasing. Either intentionally or by mistake. See this post:

“Hi forum, I’m desperately looking for a good condition LI battery full size for my GPX 5000. I travelled half way across the world to do some winter detecting Arizona way and my airline refused my battery at check in; both hold and carry on were not permitted. Any one got a battery for sale this would help me out massively. Don't want to buy a new one as I’m only here for a month and can re-unite with mine back home.”

Fisher Research was originally designing the new Fisher Impulse AQ with a Li-Ion battery pack but recently switched to NiMH instead for the external battery pack. It may be this decision was prompted by issues like this. It does not bode well for those traveling with large batteries in particular. On my trip to England my having a large Anker USB charger pack in my carry-on got me shunted into a separate full security check. There is a lot more scrutiny on international flights.

Just a heads up for anyone traveling with a GPX detector. Integrated batteries like on a Equinox should pose no issues.

minelab-lithium-ion-battery-gpx-4500-5000.jpg

• Sad 1

It will be interesting if someone can find the actual regulations. Every single person on the flight is carrying one or more lithium battery (cell, tablet, laptop, power bank, ecig, etc). They power everything now. They could do a size restriction,  but anything that restricts a detector should also be hitting laptops size wise. It would be interesting to see the actual regs and probably a good idea to know them better than the check in agent.

Same applies to QED which is also LiPo battery powered (18650 3.2v x 2) When shipping out of Australia the customer is required to supply their own batteries.

22 hours ago, Lacky said:

It will be interesting if someone can find the actual regulations. Every single person on the flight is carrying one or more lithium battery (cell, tablet, laptop, power bank, ecig, etc). They power everything now. They could do a size restriction,  but anything that restricts a detector should also be hitting laptops size wise. It would be interesting to see the actual regs and probably a good idea to know them better than the check in agent.

Well it takes about 0.2 seconds to google the info for US Domestic flights, so here you go for the FAA rules (so this does not apply to international travel):

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

Bottom line - maximum capacity you are allowed to bring on board per battery = 100 Watt-Hours (Wh)  (an Equinox cell is 18.5 Wh, a GPX large cell is about 63 Wh).  There is no limit to the number you can carry on board as long as the capacity limit is met and the battery remains installed in the electronic device.  In addition, you can carry up to 2 spare batteries less than 100 Wh each, subject to AIRLINE approval.  So if the GPX detachable battery packs are categorized as "spare" Li-Ion batteries can present a problem if the air carrier objects, which is their prerogative (as demonstrated in Steve's GPX Arizona detectorist example).  All "spare" or standalone Li-Ion batteries must be carried on and cannot be in checked luggage.  However, devices that contain Li-Ion cells less than the 100 Wh capacity limit can be in checked baggage as long as the device is secured and is prevented from inadvertently being turned on and is protected from physical damage.

International rules vary and can be more restrictive than US FAA rules as encountered also first hand by Steve, so your best bet is to discuss the situation with your international carrier ahead of time.

HTH

BTW Watt-Hour is a measure of energy which roughly tells you the potential for fire causing Li Ion material.  A Watt-hour = Operating Terminal Voltage (Volts) x Current Capacity (Amp-Hours).  So a 10,000 mAH (10 AH) capacity alone does not tell you the energy (the parameter of interest to the FAA and airlines), you need to also know the operating terminal voltage which is usually between 3.5 to 22 VDC depending on how the cells are connected.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How hard would it be to convert a GPX battery pack to removable 18650's . If possible that might be the easiest solution for long trips. Then you could just leave the batteries home and buy/borrow new ones when you get there that you leave behind. 18650's are common and cheap pretty much everywhere. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lacky said:

How hard would it be to convert a GPX battery pack to removable 18650's . If possible that might be the easiest solution for long trips. Then you could just leave the batteries home and buy/borrow new ones when you get there that you leave behind. 18650's are common and cheap pretty much everywhere. 

Interesting thought.  One thing I thought of is to just plug headphones into the headphone jack and tell them it is battery powered audio amplifier (i.e., a self-contained electronic device rather than a spare standalone battery).  Which is what it is!  Lol.

I just checked in for a flight I have tomorrow and it stated no lithium ion batteries allowed in checked baggage period. They are only allowed in carry on luggage and battery terminals must be covered/protected. It also stated it was at their discretion as to whether or not certain lithium batteries would be allowed on carry on luggage. I traveled on the same airline at Thanksgiving with 2 equinox detectors in my checked luggage. I think those are Lithium batteries? My wife checked us into that flight.