New Shipping Problems For Lithium Ion Batteries?

1 hour ago, matt said:

I just checked in for a flight I have tomorrow and it stated no lithium ion batteries allowed in checked baggage period. They are only allowed in carry on luggage and battery terminals must be covered/protected. It also stated it was at their discretion as to whether or not certain lithium batteries would be allowed on carry on luggage. I traveled on the same airline at Thanksgiving with 2 equinox detectors in my checked luggage. I think those are Lithium batteries? My wife checked us into that flight.

What they are saying about checked baggage is more stringent than the FAA regs, but the Airlines have the final say about what can and cannot be in checked baggage, and as long as they are not violating the rules by creating a safety hazard, it is their prerogative to be more conservative.  Unfortunate, but true.

Yep the Equinoxes are Lithium Ion, I provided their Wh rating above (16.5 Wh).  Well below the 100 Wh limit.

I think the main problem is separate batteries. A battery integrated into a device is not really the big issue. The GPX for instance, you have to have the battery to operate the detector. It is not a "spare battery". But it could be - the people checking the bags do not know that. And fact is when I traveled with my GPX I did take two batteries. What the heck do you think is charging when I am using the other on long days?

The point is even a single GPX battery could be viewed as a "spare" by an overly cautious person and I think that may be where we are getting into trouble here. In the rush to board planes leaving in 30 minutes stuff happens. My advice is have plenty of documentation showing what the entire device is, like the owners manual, and get to the airport and deal with security as far ahead as possible.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I think the main problem is separate batteries.

Steve that is one of the reasons, however my nephew who is a baggage handler supervisor told me that certain lithium batteries can explode at certain altitudes and have in the past.

That is the reason for the concern on this type of battery.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am not disputing batteries might be an issue

Steve,

I knew that as I was just letting others know why most airlines won't allow certain types of batteries onto their planes.

Southwest is where my nephew works and he hates all the rules on what can be in the baggage all the time.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/

Portable electronic devices, containing batteries - Cell phones, laptop, camera, smart phones, PDAs containing lithium batteries, games, tablets, watches, etc. 

Most consumer personal electronic devices containing batteries are allowed in carry-on and checked baggage, including but not limited to cell phones, smart phones, PDAs, electronic games, tablets, laptop computers, cameras, camcorders, watches, calculators, etc. This covers typical dry cell batteries and lithium metal and lithium ion batteries for consumer electronics (AA, AAA, C, D, button cell, camera batteries, laptop batteries, etc.)

Devices containing lithium metal or lithium ion batteries (laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc.) should be carried in carry-on baggage when possible. When these devices must be carried in checked baggage, they should be turned completely off, protected from accidental activation, and packed so they are protected from damage.

Spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium ion batteries are always prohibited in checked baggage and must be placed in carry-on. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, any spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin.

• Like 1

Li-ion batteries burning/exploding is apparently a growing problem for airlines.  Here is the FAA chart showing recent incidents:

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/resources/lithium_batteries/media/Battery_incident_chart.pdf

"As of December 1, 2019, 261 air/airport incidents involving lithium batteries carried as cargo or baggage that have been recorded since January 1, 2006."

Because of the energy densities, li-ion batteries are inherently somewhat dangerous, but the most dangerous type is that used with RC model planes and similar devices, which by design lack the protective circuitry of the mainstream li-ion.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 10:20 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Obviously that's not going to happen now with two GPX batteries totaling 126 Wh.

That is a "per battery" WH limit, so as long as both are less than 100 wh each you are within FAA regs.

Again, as I and others have pointed out, the spare battery issue is dicey as it is subject to airline approval and it is their prerogative to take a more conservative stance than the FAA regs due to the implications of the worst case scenario (loss of aircraft), regardless of the probability of that happening.

• Like 2