Where Do You Get Damping Grease In Small Qty's?

kac

The GB knob on my Tejon is super loose now after the tons of hours I put on it and I get a little waver in the threshold. Trying to find who sells damping grease in really small quantities as the stuff is horribly expensive. Mcmaster has some at $111 + shipping, Amazon has some in the $30 range and all more expensive than the potentiometer itself. I could replace it but rather not start soldering in parts if I don't have to.

Hey kac,

This is what i found, hope this helps!👍👍

Screenshot_20200108-213537_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 3

I'll see if they have a small small tube. If not wonder if I could use dielectric grease on it?

I don't think Tesoro used the highest end components. I'm surprised the pot wore out so fast. If I have to replace it i'll take a gander at military grade ones and replace the bunch while im at it.

Thanks for the link

• Like 1

There was a split o ring on the shaft, guessing that is what was the issue and also there was almost no resistance. Tried to request a sample kit but that page is blank (of course). Dug through my shop of horrors and had some high temperature silicone grease which stabilized it but I need to find a small o ring. Really tempted to just replace the pot with a better brand. Anyways the machine working now but just a band-aid.

22 hours ago, kac said:

The GB knob on my Tejon is super loose now....

When I got my (used) Tesoro, the weakness I noticed was that the knobs don't lock and can be bumped.  Here, IMO, is the best solution and will hopefully last a lifetime.  It's multi-turn and lockable.  You can buy just the knob or the knob and the potentiometer.  I think the one I've linked is < 1 inch diameter (spec says "22.8 mm").  If you Google search "H-516 knob" you'll find a lot of them and may be able to choose your favorite supplier, etc. and/or a better price.  The photo below is the H46 which is twice the diameter(!) but still the same design.

image.png.4005f14eab9116a198d27fb6760996b7.png

• Like 2

That is a good idea. Detecta was spot on with a rubber washer. I looked for my box of o rings and couldn't find one so I cut one out of some rubber sheeting on my laser 8mm with 4 mm center and it works perfect now. Rubber I used was for a roof, I use pieces as digging mats as they don't stay wet and don't blow around in the wind. Makes a really sweet seal and should last much longer as it is weather resistant. Probably overkill :)

• Like 1

The blue 3 3/4turn pots that Tesoro used for GB are usually the only option for that size and sometimes can be hard to get a hold of.  It might even be possible that Tesoro was the only ones ordering enough to keep them in production???   Last year I tried to find a couple for a Compadre experiment and ended up finding one on eBay. 

Do you remember the part number on the original? I could fish around and ask some suppliers if they have or know where to get those. I have seen 5 and 10 turn pots too but thinking our thumbs would get tired trying to gb them :)

3 hours ago, kac said:

Do you remember the part number on the original? I could fish around and ask some suppliers if they have or know where to get those. I have seen 5 and 10 turn pots too but thinking our thumbs would get tired trying to gb them 🙂

Not sure on part number but it’s a 3-3/4 turn Cermet 100K?? I believe.  Mouser was out of stock when I last looked.   The 10 turn is great for GB as it’s a much finer adjustment but they are a TIGHT fit in those uMax housings. 

• Like 1