Sign in to follow this  
Dan(NM)

Can Someone ID This Item?

I found this while hunting near a lake today, rang up 22 on the Nox and has a Waterbury back mark. I can't find any info on it, I thought it was a button when I first dug it , but, it has the 2 stems. Thanks.

IMG_20200108_143139601.jpg

IMG_20200108_143112483.jpg

• Like 1

could be some time  of broach for a hat 

15 minutes ago, Old Farm Hunter said:

could be some time  of broach for a hat 

Could be, I thought maybe saddle tack.

IMG_20200108_175400461.jpg

That is the double snake Samurai medallion. HIGHLY coveted, rare, and possibly one of a kind. To bad April fools is so far off! 😉    I have no clue, Dave.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

I can't find any info on it,

I would contact Waterbury and make sure that you include pictures of both sides of it. They would be able to tell you exactly what it is.

I think it may go on a hat or coat, or another piece of apparel. It could also be for a bridle or such.

Wish I could be of more help but I have never really researched this area.

• Like 1

Here's something similar.  But the ebay seller is unsure how old they are, so maybe this doesn't help much.  Also they don't show the back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Here's something similar. 

GB

The lettering is the same and I believe that it is a set of buttons according to one of the pictures.

The item Dan found could of came off a hat or belt from the looks of the back on his.

Good catch on looking on Fleabay.

Thanks guys, I sent Waterbury an e-mail with pics to get a positive ID.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 1515Art
      OK experts what ye say, I think a couple of these might be good, detecting out at gold basin no gold this trip but these got a pocket ride home they all hit on the 7000 and are magnetic I cut rough Windows with a right angle grinder no polishing or chemical treatment to the surface.

• By dogodog
      I found this button a month ago and posted a bunch of photo's with my other finds. I thought it was just another old button, but today I saw some detail in it and started to clean it. After about two hours of cleaning this is what I found. The button has a steel back and a brass front, the back has writing on it that is not legible. I'm hoping GB can help me out with the id. Any button people out there, your help will be appreciated. Mid to late 1800's ? The design is really unique. Stars, snake, infinity symbol, sailing ships, little circles and cattail plant. too fancy to be an average button ( my opinion) Look at it and tell me your thoughts.

• By Treasurehunt
      Why is it so much oxidation on this rock? Is it oxide of iron?
      Thank you

• By uknowhooiyam
      This piece was found in a load of locally quarried limestone. It weighs 195 grams. A basic water displacement test gives approximately 11.5 g per cubic centimeter. It exhibits clear magnetic and strong paramagnetic qualities. It also has stony material in/on it. Any input would be appreciated.

• By Riggler
      Hello all! This is my first post here. I’m from eastern PA and I am on my 3rd detector and just love this hobby.
      So I have some challenging buttons here, and a couple of other artifacts. It took me a while to take the pictures and get this together.
      #1 and 2 I dug on two separate farm sites. #2 is small and was veeeery deep, like 10-11” deep. It has a strange shank that appears to be curled down from the top. I think it’s very old and I want to believe I might see an Eagle in there. You can just make out stars or dots around the edge of it. Badly corroded. I have no idea how to clean these up. I just used an old toothbrush and some water gently, then mineral oil to preserve.
      I can’t make out the backmark on #1 but it’s gorgeous - civilian?? Age??

#3 I is not dug and I snagged from an Etsy listing I stumbled on. Backmark reads “Feine Qual”, and there is a little paint remaining in the stripes on the front shield!

4 (broken) and 5-6 are large and small flat buttons from the farm site. 4 has a backmark I can’t make out, this one has brownish rust...

7-8 A musketball and minie ball??? Any ideas as to age??! I’m thinking 1850ish but I’m not an expert!

Thanks for any information on these, and happy hunting!

• By dogodog
      Yesterday while out testing a new program for my MK, I got a good hit. Seemed fairly deep so I thought it was a large object, after digging to about 12'' I reached the target. And thought to myself man that looks like a musket ball. Back story is, I was hunting within a quarter mile of a place were General Washington was holding up before the battle of Germantown. This place is very close to my house and has a lot of Rev war history. The ball measures anywhere from 0.586 to 0.625 and weighs 17.745 grams. I know some of the early muskets used a ball that was close to that, but that depended on the maker. Any thoughts would be great. Also I found an 18th century lockset on the same property about 5 years ago. Very cool if this is Rev War!!