Sign in to follow this  
Dan(NM)

Can Someone ID This Item?

I found this while hunting near a lake today, rang up 22 on the Nox and has a Waterbury back mark. I can't find any info on it, I thought it was a button when I first dug it , but, it has the 2 stems. Thanks.

IMG_20200108_143139601.jpg

IMG_20200108_143112483.jpg

• Like 1

could be some time  of broach for a hat 

15 minutes ago, Old Farm Hunter said:

could be some time  of broach for a hat 

Could be, I thought maybe saddle tack.

IMG_20200108_175400461.jpg

That is the double snake Samurai medallion. HIGHLY coveted, rare, and possibly one of a kind. To bad April fools is so far off! 😉    I have no clue, Dave.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

I can't find any info on it,

I would contact Waterbury and make sure that you include pictures of both sides of it. They would be able to tell you exactly what it is.

I think it may go on a hat or coat, or another piece of apparel. It could also be for a bridle or such.

Wish I could be of more help but I have never really researched this area.

• Like 1

Here's something similar.  But the ebay seller is unsure how old they are, so maybe this doesn't help much.  Also they don't show the back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Here's something similar. 

GB

The lettering is the same and I believe that it is a set of buttons according to one of the pictures.

The item Dan found could of came off a hat or belt from the looks of the back on his.

Good catch on looking on Fleabay.

Thanks guys, I sent Waterbury an e-mail with pics to get a positive ID.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By SnowProspector
      I came across some rustbrown colored mica schist and decided to scan it with my Garret At gold with a double D coil. I'm im all metal mode, ground balanced and the detector starts to give me a lot of targets with 60-80 on the scale(thick gold/precious metal). Iron is below 30-50.
      I hammered out the rock that was giving me the high reading and it turns ut there is thick layers of some dissiminated metallic (?) layer in the schist. Is have had a closer look and it does not look like pyrite because it is quite dark gray, but still has the metallic shine. It is brittle, so not sure if it is metall or sulfide. 
      I heard several people say that sulfides do not give a reading on a metal detector. To confirm that i have testes a  big chalcopyrite that gives absolutley no noise on the detector. I also have a 14 lb chunk of stibnite that also gives no sound at all. 
      Then this wierd rock gives a strong 80 gold/Silver Reading. 
      Have anyone had sulfides make a strong reading? 
      I added pictures of the metal/sulfide that i hammere out. What do you think? 

• By billdean
      I think most of these are agates but the one on the left in the middle I am not sure what it is. It kind of looks like a flower. When I was out detecting I run in to these rocks. They seem different then most I see. Anybody know what the one on the left in the middle is? It's kind of white. And what are the rest?

• By HarbingerSong
      Hello all, i like to take the kids on hikes and look for cool rocks.  I came across this but no one can tell me what it is, and I've looked for an assayer in my area. The closest is quite aways away. I live in so cal. Any help would be fantastic. This weighs approx. 8.79 oz

• By phrunt
      So today I decided I'd put my Nox aside and do some detecting with my T2, as much as I love my Nox I am so much more comfortable swinging my T2, I just really like it's design.
      I left the little 5" coil on my T2 instead of the usual Mars Tiger I detect with on it as the parkland I was detecting is very trash filled.
      I spent about 2 hours digging trash and the weather wasn't the best, showers regularly and I forgot to bring my T2's rain cover so I was being cautious of the weather and had to stand under trees occasionally. 
      I was getting tired of finding nothing as in the two hours I'd only found an old style 10 cent coin and a collection of junk, one thing looks like a broken bit of a bangle.
      I decided to spend another 20 minutes doing it and call it time at midday ready to head home for lunch and it wasn't long after I made that decision I hit a target, it was coming up in the 50's on the VDI's, I don't remember exactly the number as I wasn't expecting anything good as the closest thing in the 50's I like finding is 58 which is the old style 10c coins.
      I was surprised how deep it was for how small it was, at least 20cm, it appears to be a military button, from the New Zealand Forces.  Oddly it says London on the back of it, and then the writing changes direction and says J R LAO or something, it's very hard to read.  In fact I couldn't read any of the back until I took the photo and zoomed in on it.  The New Zealand Forces on the front is much easier to read.

I was running the T2 in Discriminate mode, Sensitivity 90, 2+ on the tones and Disc at 40, I had to frequency shift too as there was interference from powerlines, it's the first time I've used frequency shift but it works a treat, I was only able to run sensitivity at 70 until I shifted frequency to F5 then I was able to crank it right up to 90 and have it run stable.  I've always found the Mars Tiger to be more stable than the Teknetics coils but it's far too big to use in this trashy park.  I have no idea what a military button (if that's what it is) was doing in a rural park.

This ring pull is odd, different to the modern ones.  I really thought I had a ring digging that ?
      It was a fun morning, The general detecting can be fun, it gives me something to do when I can't go look for gold anyway.
      I found all the info on my NZ forces button, it's from 1914-1915, from World War 1.
      You can read about it here as they have one in the collection at the Australian War Memorial Museum.
      https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C305853
      The London on the back is because it was made in London.
      The Museum down in Invercargill closed due to its building not being earthquake safe and strict new laws on earthquake code after the big Christchurch earthquake, perhaps once they get that sorted out I'll donate it to them.
    • By unearth
      Did a little bit of detecting today and found this...can anybody tell me what this, I think it's a coin, is? What country it may be from? What year? Thanks in advance for any help identifying this object.

• By phrunt
      I was out detecting with my Equinox and had a solid 21-22 on the VDI numbers, it never flicked off those numbers, it was down about 15 cm's.  I dug it up expecting a NZ $1 or $2 coin, both come up the same numbers.
      I was puzzled when what I ended up finding was a rock looking object
      This is it next to an older NZ 10c coin I found only minutes before hand

To me it looks more like a rock than a bit of metal, I tried to hit it as hard as I could with a hammer to see if it was a chunk of lead or something thinking that would flatten it, it didn't make a mark on it. I then hit it with the back flat end of my Log splitter thinking this will surely do some damage to it, but no, it didn't leave a mark, all it did is cracked the concrete under the mystery object.  This thing is extremely tough.
      It weighs 17 grams and feels quite heavy for it's size and not magnetic.
      What could it possibly be?