I was just curious about the history of gold mining contraptions?

How long have gold pans been in use?Who invented them?

What did the Romans and other ancient people use to get gold?

-Tom

Pans and sluices are recorded back as far as we have history on the subject, and yes the Romans used pans and sluices. The Golden Fleece is thought to possibly have been a sheep’s hide used to line and capture gold in a sluice box.

From De Re Metallica, by Georgius Agricola, First Latin edition 1556, picture of gold pan and sluice box in use. Not any different than early scenes in California 300 years later.

gold-pan-sluice-box-de-re-metallica-wikipedia-commons.jpg

Interestingly the first English translation was by Herbert Hoover, who later went on to be President of the United States. It also is one of the first written accounts to describe dowsing. It is also interesting that one of the first things discussed in the book are the environmental impacts of mining. Things we think are new to our times have been discussed for centuries if not millennia. The translated text is below but for as easy overview skip to the Wikipedia article at bottom.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38015/38015-h/38015-h.htm

Wikipedia - about De Re Metallica

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The Golden Fleece is thought to possibly have been a sheep’s hide used to line and capture gold in a sluice box.

I also had found articles that stated the same thing, but one of them said that the sheep had some hair growth (length) on them. The length of hair was heavy then shorter towards the end of the sluice.

With all the different stories I have read on this I just don't know which one to believe, but I would think this would be close to what they would have done.

It's legend and nobody knows so you can believe whatever you want. :smile:

This article describes a gold pan developed by the ancient Mayan civilization:

https://www.keeneeng.com/pamphlets/goldPan.html

• Like 3

why did we humans go to such trouble to recover the yellow metal in the 1st place I wonder? Thanks for the history lesson.

And a panning question?

Why do the bigger bits of gravel work their way to the surface as we pan instead of sinking? 

On 1/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, tvanwho said:

And a panning question?

Why do the bigger bits of gravel work their way to the surface as we pan instead of sinking?

Isn't it just about density?  Big pieces of gravel are typically (at least in the US Midwest) limestone with a specific gravity around 2.7.  That's kind of typical of common rocks/minerals, including quartz.  Magnetite and hematite are in the 5.2 - 5.3 s.g. range.  Native metals (and especially the noble metals we all lust for) are much higher.

• Like 1

Maybe Steve knows the answer to this question? I sure don't understand it?

Rocks don’t always float to the top. Many sink. It just depends if they are dense or not and the composition of the finer material. And panning involves washing off the light stuff, leaving rocks behind.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      Here is an interesting article that focuses mostly on the Kalgoorlie Gold Rush of 1893.  I'm sure there are some here who would have tales to tell of this rush.
      https://lacrossetribune.com/community/tomahjournal/news/ask-your-science-teacher/article_928e4df3-a9a1-5c4c-bea1-bef645a0076e.html
    • By GB_Amateur
      I had to stop and contemplate the following occurrences.  In the past ~week we've seen/heard of three absolutely historical US metal detecting finds.  Idaho Peg discovered that her chunk of silver from Florida's Treasure Coast is quite likely from the 1715 Fleet, one of the two or three most famous treasures found in the Western Hemisphere.  2Valen reports on his multi-year quest for a Civil War cache which preliminarily produces a soldier's possessions including eight gold coins, four of which he is rewarded and displays here.  Then Goldbrick tells us about his amazing 1849 privately minted $5 gold piece from the first year of the California Gold Rush.  Has this sunk in:  1715 Fleet (lost in a hurricane on its way to Spain) silver coins, US Civil War gold coin cache, and California Gold Rush rare privately minted coin?  I don't know what history is still taught in schools but I sure hope these finds represent it.  It excites me just reading about these; I can't imagine how I would feel if I were experiencing them first hand!  'Bucket List' labelling doesn't do them justice.
      Top that, detectorprospector.com members (and I hope you do).

• By strick
      I'm not much of a sluicer. I'd rater be looking for nuggets with my detector. I like gold I can pick up with my fingers lol. My wife bought a small Keene sluice box several years ago and we set up a recirculating system at home where we could run some dirt at our leisure just for fun. I never really liked my home made set up. Although it worked it was slow..It was like a mini high banker made with stuff I got at the local hardware store. I  was wanting something more efficient. In my search I found Gold Fox USA. There is also an Australian version that is the same company with a dealer who distributes for them in Oz. 
      I wont go into a lot of boring detail...you can go to their web site and face book page or youtube for that...However I would like to say that so far I am very happy with this little set up. I can run unclassified material through this sluice extremely fast. The trommel is five inches in diameter. I've only used it three times so far and time will tell on how durable it is but it seems to be very well built. The company has many different sizes and options available. They are fast and get the product to you when they say they will. If you have a question Kelly the owner will get on the phone and answer it for you. 
      The Lil Monster Deluxe comes with a 12v 2000 GPH pump. You supply your own power. I am using a RV deep cycle battery that I had laying around. I also bought a 700 GPH 12v pump and am using the two pumps together. The reason being is the material I am running is mostly clay and I wanted more water to help break it down. The only thing you have to watch is that the jets that supply the trommel will get plugged with organic material. They are easy to clean. In fact if you turn off the water supply to the hopper so it feeds the jets only...the water pressure is enough to flush them clean most of the time.  Give them a look. 
      https://www.goldfoxusa.com
      https://www.facebook.com/goldfoxusa/
      strick 

• By geof_junk
      This has a different type coil, weight is no problem.

I need one.pdf
    • By mn90403
      Wales has a bit more gold than they normally disclose.  They talk about keeping it for those Royal Weddings and such.  Here is some historic information about gold in UK.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/gold-wales-mines-welsh-alba-16715755
    • By LipCa
      It's always nice to go back and look at some really good gold:   http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-viewthread?forum=50413641711&thread=7216