Sign in to follow this  
mn90403

Broken On/off Switch On 800

Today I went to the beach to take advantage of the super tides.  I got there and as luck would have it there was no one on the beach in my spots!

I turned on the detector as I normally do by pressing in the on/off switch on the left side of the control housing.  It turned on properly but I can remember I felt a 'give' that I hadn't noticed before.  It was working so I just went about my detecting looking for targets.  There were not that many either high or low today.

When I went to take a break I got past the dry sand and tried to turn off the detector as I had turned it on.  I pressed the button and all I felt was it 'give' without stopping.  I tried repeatedly but no luck.  I turned off the headphones and that didn't help, it just made it so everyone could hear.  Now I know I've got a problem but what do I do?  I unscrewed the connector to the coil and a message came on the screen that I think said 'Cd' and then the power went off.

Now the power will not go back on.  It was just before 5 PM in Chicago but I've left a message for Minelab.  It will probably be Monday before I hear from them now.  It looks like the 3030 will get some use or the SE Pro if I use a detector in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone had a bad switch yet?

Mitchel

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

mine would neither push on or off....Minelab replaced the control box....pretty good service!

fred

• Like 1

I had one that was extremely hard to turn off or on, the on button was so firm it wouldn't do it's thing. Minelab ended up replacing the unit, no problem. After a month, that one quit charging, ended up being a bad battery. They replaced that one as well.

• Like 1

There are probably few Nox units that have been switched on and off and vice versa more than mine has been.  So far no problems.

• Like 1

It will not turn on now!

Bought my first one last week and when it got here, i charged it up and just like Fred's would not turn on, so waiting till next week for my new one. Minelab took good care of me so far.

• Like 1

The switches are small, cheap, fairly fragile things, it's almost inevitable that they will fail at some point.
You can see them on this internal photo:
eqx_PCB
The sealed case means no access for repair. And removing/inserting the battery isn't exactly simple, so no get-around there.
And I very much doubt that it's possible to do any clever software 'work-arounds', either, like swapping the on/off and the backlight button functions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Definitely a detector on a board!  haha  It's a bit of a different switch than I thought.  I don't feel guilty now.

Bring on the replacement.

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Definitely a detector on a board!  haha  It's a bit of a different switch than I thought.  I don't feel guilty now.

Bring on the replacement.

Mitchel - I bet that "give" you felt was that switch partially or fully popping off the board (broken through hole solder connection), unfortunately.  You will likely get a new head unit from the repair center.  Th switches themselves are fine, they probably just need to beef up how they are physically connected to the board to be able to better take the abuse.  We'll see if this starts to become "a thing" now that the Equinox has been out there for 2 years now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You said it better than me!

• Like 1