Nuggeteer Anti Inteference 12 X 4 On Tdi Pro

karelian

I've had this coil for quite some time, but it was packed away and forgotten. It was purchased for A$60 because I was intrigued.

It is the anti-interference version. Measures 12 x 4 and uses the MInelab lower rod.

Weight is decent, build quality is good. Performance in the field still remains a mystery as I've yet to use it. I gave it a quick air test just to see how it behaved on the Tdi Pro.

This version has a hot spot in the centre of the coil which appears very sensitive to small targets at shallow depth. Seems to hit fairly well at shallow depths but doesn't have much punch for the deeper targets. Test garden results on coins would give real world depth on coins between a solid hit around 15cm or 6 inches and fading fast past 20cm or 8 inches. 

Useless air test with ground balance off, gain at max, in ALL, frequency in the middle, pulse delay at 10.

1 grain was               7cm

.5 gram gold coin  16cm

1/2 Sovereign         23cm

Us Quarter              23cm

Aussie Penny         25cm

Whites Buckle        33cm

So in summary it hits hard on small and shallow targets, the centre of the coil is a hot spot for sure.. Fades fast as depth increases, the big Whites buckle just managed 13 inches.

Since I managed max gain on the Tdi Pro in an EMI hot zone, the Anti-interference feature seems to work ok.. One of the things I like about the Tdi machines is the ability to plug in all sorts of coils, never know if you don't have a go..  My Tdi SL is highly resistance to EMI and the Pro less so but still very good. This coil could make more sense mounted on a Minelab around electric fences and mobile phone towers.. etc.

All the best,

Karelian

IMG_1643_edited.jpg

nuggeteer1.jpg

nuggeteer2.jpg

nuggeteer 3.jpg

nuggeteer ai.jpg

• Like 3

Now what I really wanted from this style of coil is something like a 'bigfoot' for the beach. My current beach coil is the Jimmy Sierra Digger 14 x 8 mono coil made for him by Miner John. Well balance and light with a good footprint it is a winner.

I've given up trying to find a bigfoot coil for either my MXT or XL PRO machines, too old and rare plus the prices are a bit high.. A nice Razorback Beach Hog would be great but again too rare and hard to find in Australia whilst   perfect for my Tdi machines.  As luck would have it I am waiting for a Nuggeteer 18 x 6 mono to arrive. Not my first choice but for this style of coil we have few options and opportunities are not to be missed.. Coverage is the key goal, decent depth but not too much... if nothing else it should just eat up large areas fast.. Full review to follow..

Karelian

18 x 6 2.jpg

18 x 6.jpg

beach coil.jpg

• Like 1

I had a couple Jimmy Sierra T-Foot 5.5" x 18" coils in stock at one time, and really wish now I had kept one. I thought exactly what you are thinking - perfect coil for beach sweeping. Jimmy Sierra coils for TDI Anyway, similar to the 6" x 18" mono you have coming but supposedly a dual field instead of mono.

Very interesting about the Nuggeteer coil, I don't recall ever seeing anything about them before. Are they still around? I see the website is dead.

jimmy-sierra-tdi-coils.jpg
Some coils for White's TDI

• Like 1

Sadly Pm Coils is out of the game, for a while they made a Scarab 18 x 14, Nuggeteer 18 x 6 in mono and AI, 12 x 4 mono and AI. There was also an 18 Tarantula, it's in the photo, two coils shown with funny shape.  Jimmy's T-foot as an 18 x 5.5 duel field would be the ideal beach coil. Don't know how many Razorback Beach Hog's were made,  a real beach sweeper.  Only rarely spot Nuggeteer coils on the local Australian classifieds, very reasonably priced compared to the 'bigfoot' coils I sometimes see advertised in the USA. Paid $60 for the 12 x 4 AI and $175 delivered, for the 18 x 6 mono. (Australian dollar roughly US 70 cents.)  I'm interested in how the big 18 x 6 mono balances on either the Pro or SL, it was classed as a 'patch finder' coil.

These coils seem well put together, quality feel and solid. The coil cable is quality, also durable and the coil cover fits well. The Nuggeteer GPX coils already used Litz wire, so I'm looking forward to testing that 18 x 6.  A bit wider than the genuine  'bigfoot' but the same length so on a pulse machine depth should be interesting. 

Karelian

table of coils nuggeteer.jpg

• Like 1

The VLF Bigfoot was an entirely different deal, first by being compatible with a very popular mainstream set of detectors, the MXT series, M6, DFX, and V3i. The market is far larger. And they have full discrimination plus ability to shut half the coil off for easy pinpointing. There really is no other VLF coil like it, so they go for a fortune now used.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention PM Coils also produced a limited number of coils for the Whites GMT, possibly other brands and models such as the Infinium , Scorpion Stinger etc. They were happy to experiment, that willingness to 'have a go' is sorely missed, since no current coil manufacturers have yet stepped into the possibly very profitable gap left by the Bigfoot. We can all dream can't we?  Karelian

gmt coil pm 12 x 8_edited.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 3:10 PM, karelian said:

Sadly Pm Coils is out of the game, for a while they made a Scarab 18 x 14, Nuggeteer 18 x 6 in mono and AI, 12 x 4 mono and AI. There was also an 18 Tarantula, it's in the photo, two coils shown with funny shape.  Jimmy's T-foot as an 18 x 5.5 duel field would be the ideal beach coil. Don't know how many Razorback Beach Hog's were made,  a real beach sweeper.  Only rarely spot Nuggeteer coils on the local Australian classifieds, very reasonably priced compared to the 'bigfoot' coils I sometimes see advertised in the USA. Paid $60 for the 12 x 4 AI and $175 delivered, for the 18 x 6 mono. (Australian dollar roughly US 70 cents.)  I'm interested in how the big 18 x 6 mono balances on either the Pro or SL, it was classed as a 'patch finder' coil.

These coils seem well put together, quality feel and solid. The coil cable is quality, also durable and the coil cover fits well. The Nuggeteer GPX coils already used Litz wire, so I'm looking forward to testing that 18 x 6.  A bit wider than the genuine  'bigfoot' but the same length so on a pulse machine depth should be interesting. 

Karelian

table of coils nuggeteer.jpg

All those coils shown are field test prototypes using Bill Hayes shells. The Tarantula coil was a big red/orange colored 18" round in both mono and dual loop types. Those guys did a heap of experimentation with various designs incl the spiral mono, concentric, stacked-cone mono and co-planar ideas years before anyone else, from a garage in Mt Gambier. Their AI designs are killer on the salt lakes in SA/WA and the Scarab AI punched deeper than any Coiltek AI I ever owned & used on my 2000 or 4500. The 12x4 AI is incredibly sensitive to tiny gold on a 5000 too.