Back To Decision Time Gpz Or Another Gpx

Hi guys I'm back after laying low after my nugget find starting to get back into some detecting again.. Still been using my 24k vlf and no way I'd get rid of it its so good.. But I am in need to replace my gpx I sold.. And I can't decide whether to get a gpz and run the small  xcoil soon as it's available to buy.. Or run with a gpx 5000 and get my trustie Sadie coil again.. Aparently my gpx I sold ended up with moisture damage on points but was fixed easy but with living on the wet west coast I'm thinking the gpz with its wetherproof housing might be better but the big coil isn't practical for alot what I do creeks bedrock etc but is for old tailings piles.. 

I was wondering maybe Steve or kiwijw might he able to awnser this how small will the gpz detect will it go as small as say sdc in low to mild ground 

And 2 is the depth over gpx noticeable on smaller gold 

Thanks Craig 

Hi Craig,  

I can't answer much about the GPX.  

But, the GPZ with its standard 14" coil will detect gold absolutely small enough as you could want I reckon.  I believe it is comparable with SDC size gold and with your mild NZ ground and therefore the ability to turn the Sensitivity right up you will be hitting on tiny bits.

Who knows when the Nugget Finder GPZ coils may be out but hopefully there is a sub 10" coil in there somewhere.  Always the x-coils available now if you are ok with cutting coil leads  😬 

2 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Hi Craig,  

I can't answer much about the GPX.  

But, the GPZ with its standard 14" coil will detect gold absolutely small enough as you could want I reckon.  I believe it is comparable with SDC size gold and with your mild NZ ground and therefore the ability to turn the Sensitivity right up you will be hitting on tiny bits.

Who knows when the Nugget Finder GPZ coils may be out but hopefully there is a sub 10" coil in there somewhere.  Always the x-coils available now if you are ok with cutting coil leads  😬 

Thanks for the reply.. Yes I agree its the sub 10 inch coil I've been hanging out for for the gpz. As for the cutting the lead that defanitly scares me with cost of coils etc so if probley try sorce someone to do it that knows what they are doing 😣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nugget hunter nz said:

As for the cutting the lead that defanitly scares me

If I still had my Z there is not a chance I would do it - even if I got a professional do it.  Just too much money involved but that's just me, each to their own.  

Be great if the NF coils are just plug and play for you GPZ mob.  

Re: tiny sized gold that the GPZ will find, have a squiz at an old thread of mine here.

The first pic shows a piece a similar size to the echidna's nose on an Oz 5 cent piece.  Not sure if you are familiar with a 5 cent piece but it is bloody small  👍

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Northeast said:

If I still had my Z there is not a chance I would do it - even if I got a professional do it.  Just too much money involved but that's just me, each to their own.  

Be great if the NF coils are just plug and play for you GPZ mob.  

Re: tiny sized gold that the GPZ will find, have a squiz at an old thread of mine here.

The first pic shows a piece a similar size to the echidna's nose on an Oz 5 cent piece.  Not sure if you are familiar with a 5 cent piece but it is bloody small  👍

Thanks yea thats what scares me the money involved so if I went zed I'd probley hold off for the nf coils that are aparently coming this year and just hope they make like a Sadie type coil for zed in that sub 10 inch 

25 minutes ago, davsgold said:

G'day nugget hunter nz

I would talk with Kiwijw and phrunt about both of your questions, it's up to you of course.

cheers dave

Yea hoping kiwijw sees the post I've talked to him abit both when I found the big nugget and before about zed when he was testing the xcoils.. Kinda what led me to want the zed 

I use both the sdc and the Zed. In high yield/normal/smothing off the Zed is an amazing machine that will find gold so small that even the sdc will hardly find ,especially in difficult ground. Note: you will need metal free boots!! Both machines have a different target profile with respect to the ground your hunting. In the open field the Zed is King by a large margin and superior over any other Gold Detector that's out there

• Like 4

12 hours ago, nugget hunter nz said:

is the depth over gpx noticeable on smaller gold

I did a test with my 4500 against my mates 7000 on both tiny gold and larger bits. On the larger bits i was able to match the 7000 but my settings were questionable as to whether they were usable (very noisy). On the smaller bits i wasnt able to hear them at all no matter what timings/settings i tried. it was at that moment id realised id made a big mistake for the last 4 years holding off buying the 7000. On a recent trip with another friend i got him to try his 5000 on 3 targets id found with the 7000 (standard gpz coil) They ended up being small gun pellots at good depth. We had to scrape off heaps before he could register a response. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Northeast said:

Well, I think there are enough testers and users out now to have identified the potential problems of making the lead.  There are several here on this forum who have helped make the situation better than when we first heard about the Xcoils.  The manufacturer/coil maker has worked with them.

I'm in the process of getting one.  When I get it and I'm ready to cut the 19" cord I'll look at the instructions and chat with some people here.  Even those who had problems got them fixed and went on to get another Xcoil.  They know more than I do.  They've seen them work.

When mine is working I think I could make a good case that I could sell my Z for more money with a working Xcoil than a Z that has not been Xcoil modified! (It shouldn't be worth less or worthless.  haha)  I've lost the fear factor.  It is a tool that can be modified.

More gold is our cry!

When the NF coil is ready and the connections are made known for that perhaps a Z with NF and Xcoils will be more desirable in the resale market.  I've already asked the question about a detector paying for itself and everyone says it is about the enjoyment.  It shouldn't matter much then about the cost of a coil, right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1