Back To Decision Time Gpz Or Another Gpx

1 hour ago, WesD said:

Sounds like you had a good mod job.  Our sdc cleaned up behind  the 5000/sadie patches. Just as deep and smaller gold.  Sensitivity on 4 or 5, and the little ones sing out.

Yea the sdc is an amazing MA Hine and don't get me wrong I found lots small stuff with it but side by side my gpx was defanitly hitting harder and deeper on smaller gold.. I had the max mods by  woodland in aussie and I could run it flat out in normal.. I'm defanitly regretting selling it hence my predicament now if I get a gpx5000 and mod it it will owe me as much as a gpz.. 

• Like 1

The SDC is a great machine and has found me a lot of gold over the years. I mostly use it in washes and to screen vertical walls (breccia, etc..). The signal response is decent once you get used to the noisiness. I run sensitivity usually at 2, sometimes at 3, rarely higher. I also use Nenad's Steelphase which works great for the SDC and gives me about 20-30% more target ID's.  Pinpointing is easy, thanks to the 8 in round coil (just lift up and tilt). I also like to hike a lot to remote places, so having a detector that folds and fits into my backpack is great. The weight balance is not ideal and I end up using a bungee fairly quickly. Regarding the Zed, I still love this machine, even with the 14 inch that everybody seems to hate. I think more coil options would be beneficial, but I hesitate to believe that just switching coils (like on the GPX) is always leading to the same optimal ZVT performance overall. I am aware that ML is heavily criticized here, and I don't want to comment on that. However, I do believe they do have great engineers and I would hesitate to trust aftermarket solutions that may or may  not be aligned with the overall engineering concept of the machine. Once ML comes up with something  I will buy into it, not before. That is just my personal preference. Like I would never trust aftermarket tuning of a car to get 100 more HP if that would not be balanced with the rest of the engineering. The Zed still finds me gold after all.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Well, I can tell you now the GPZ with 10" X-coil isn't far off running something like a Gold Monster, but with more depth from what I've witnessed with JW using it.  I've seen JW dig up these tiny little bits of gold from stupid depths for their size.  Basically the GPZ with 10" X-coil is my dream machine, my wife is just resisting me buying it as she sees it as a waste of money but if I had the chance I'd most certainly own it.

The SDC seems a more popular detector in countries with hotter soil, Nugget hunter NZ's opinion on it basically mirrors what JW has told me about his SDC which he never uses, it's just not as good as a GPX in our soil conditions, we can crank the GPX up and it performs better than an SDC when you use a smaller coil on the GPX, and now with the flat wound small coils like the 10" X-coil........ It's crazy sensitive.

Now, as for getting another GPX, if you can afford the GPZ in my opinion from what I've seen I'd buy a GPZ over the GPX any day especially if I was also going to be running that killer 10" X-coil on it in our NZ soil conditions.  When our soil is so mild with cranked up settings the GPZ and 10" X-coil should be illegal, it's unfair on us that don't own it.  The coil adapter is the sticking point for a lot of people but you can get someone to make it for you if necessary, there are plenty of electronics repair shops in NZ that will do it.

If you were going for the GPX again I'd seriously consider the 4500 over the 5000, no point wasting the money on a 5000 when you won't use the extra timings anyway, use the money you save there to get the new 10" X-coil for the GPX, It's by far the most sensitive coil I've ever used on my GPX, it see's tiny gold sizes my 14x9" EVO was blind to and I felt my EVO was far better than the Sadie for sensitivity.

I hope JW notices your post so he can put some photos up of the tiny gold he's found with the 10" GPZ X-coil and the depths he''s got it at, he's been over bedrock I've done with my GM1000 and got tiny gold I've missed as they were just too deep for the GM for their size. 

We'll see what turns out with the NF coils, I suspect they'll be making them mostly for use in tough Australian conditions and made so they run stable and quiet as they can in those conditions so I expect the X-coils will remain the stronger coil of the two but we'll have to wait and see on that one but as a comparison the GPX X-coils are far quieter/more stable than my Nugget Finder EVO even though they're more sensitive, I wish manufacturers made coils for Mild soils and another coil for use in Mineralised soils, I don't want a dumbed down coil just because someone in another country needs it, the same probably goes for detectors to an extent.

Glad to see you back after laying low and no poachers stole your giant nugget 🙂

Yea I'm defanitly leaning towards the gpz there's one for sale for good price near New so if I can raise the money in time I'll get it.. Don't have a wife to stop me doing stupid things 😂 not sure if you saw my post about nf thier email to me about them trialing a new option to DOD meaning they can make smaller coils for gpz but seams 10 inch is about as small as can got with the DOD configuration.. I'm hoping John would be able to help me make up the conection for the 10 xcoil if I do manage to get the gpz 

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

We'll see what turns out with the NF coils, I suspect they'll be making them mostly for use in tough Australian conditions and made so they run stable and quiet as they can in those conditions so I expect the X-coils will remain the stronger coil of the two but we'll have to wait and see on that one but as a comparison the GPX X-coils are far quieter/more stable than my Nugget Finder EVO even though they're more sensitive, I wish manufacturers made coils for Mild soils and another coil for use in Mineralised soils, I don't want a dumbed down coil just because someone in another country needs it, the same probably goes for detectors to an extent.

Glad to see you back after laying low and no poachers stole your giant nugget 🙂

What gives you the impression they'd be dumbed down??

Any "dumbing down" would be done by the user via the detector.

If they work in Aust, no doubt they'd kill it where you are.