Steve Herschbach

Raking For Gold On The Beach And In The Water

Sometimes there is something better than a detector.... 

Another one (won’t embed)...

https://youtu.be/zbXNcUqLAM8

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

I used a scoop similar to this for finding shark's teeth in Venice, Florida near the pier.  

When you have enough targets in surf/sand you find a way to get them.  Many years ago people would go to the Florida beaches and seek out a pier.  They would find many lost items around the pilings with scoops and shovels.  This was before there were metal detectors.

Mitchel

Steve you really have me thinking about a beach rake, and a Save the Bay T-shirt. I have down days where conditions are not the best at the Bay front beach's, be good to give this ago on those days at the smaller cove beach's. 

I might try it myself. I kind of regret not buying one of those custom Russian rakes when they were for sale. They were not that expensive and I can see how that zig zag cut would catch the chains.

Beach Rakes

Steve, We have a small sheet metal shop that bought a laser cutter to do a job and then the job was cancelled.

I will talk to them about making some of these rakes and find out how much they would cost. I can do that on Wednesday.

In this small town area I know they would love to find something to make their money back after buying the cutter.

• Like 3

One the local beaches here they use machines and rake the entire beach. Not very good for detectorist.

image.png.1b471bf2da47cd0dc2b6dd48f58730ac.png

On a french beachcomber forum a guy filmed with a Go Pro underwater a guy raking a lake with a similar tool .That was pretty cool.I love develloping digging tools.Need to upload a pic of my inverted sand scoop i used in the river nicknamed :The Dredge.This is my workshop sink btw not my kitchen

RR

15790293368838629782967312045984.jpg

• Like 2

I thought of using a mud shovel as the rivers and ponds have a lot of heavy rocks and gravel. Beach scoop doesn't work that great. Don't think any sort of rake would work in these parts other than the beach.

Years ago, I bought plans for a Mercatch sifter ( not correct spelling) for dry and wet sand...apparently they were popular on the quiet east coast....I never did figure out the correct way to use the beast...

BTW, not all beach cleaners have screens...some just rake the trash and seaweed...they won't rob the beach like the screens one do.

• Like 2

A friend of mine bought one of the sharp zig zag Russian rakes about a year ago. He used it a couple times and said he never realized how out of shape he was when pulling it through the sand. Also it would grab any sizeable shells and seaweed and plug up pretty fast and get quite heavy. Probably works better in a soft sand beach environment.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By karelian
      Just arrived in the mail, Nuggeteer 18 x 6 mono, mounts nicely on the Tdi pro using a Minelab lower rod. It is weighty at 1 kg but easily balances on the Tdi Pro, just don't have any metal in your shoes..
      When the weather clears I'll go down to the beach and give it a good run. Useless air tests, test garden results and beach run results in the very near future.. karelian

• By ColonelDan
      The way I “classify” beach sand determines which search mode I use on my Equinox. It works well for me on our central Florida beaches.
      Since all beaches differ in terms of salinity/mineralization, I’d be interested in hearing from other beach hunters if they too make this “4 layer classification” of beach sand conditions.
      Dry Sand: area where the surf doesn’t or hasn’t covered. The sand is extremely dry and where most beach goers spread their towels and chairs. Area to the lady’s far left in the photo.
      Damp Sand: Area where the surf once covered but has recently receded to the point where it no longer does leaving the sand still somewhat damp. Smooth area to the lady’s immediate left.
      Wet Sand: Area where the surf still covers as the waves come on shore but recedes with wave action leaving the sand distinctly wet. Smooth dark area to the lady’s direct front and immediate right.
      Surf: Self explanatory...in the water.

In the Dry and Damp areas, Beach 1, All Metal with sensitivity, recovery speed, and F2 settings adjusted for conditions works best. If I try to use Beach 1 and All Metal in the Wet sand and Surf, the amount of falsing naturally increases significantly.
      In the Wet sand and Surf, Beach 2, discrimination activated and sensitivity being situationally dependent works best...the EQX settles down considerably.
      This simply confirms Minelab’s recommendation but I’ve distinguished between damp and wet sand where they use dry, wet and surf classifications.
      Question: Anyone else see a performance difference in Damp and Wet sand modes/settings?
    • By George1971
      Hello everybody yesterday was the best beach handing day so far. Why? Because I chose the right place. What was the right place? The beach in front of a close for winter beach bar. The result was 38.40 euros and a silver cross. Think that I search only the half beach (I didn’t have enough time) looking only for coins and silver with discrimination -10 to +17. If I can make it, I will go soon at the same place and I will tell you the results.

• By mn90403
      It has probably been over a year since I've used my 3030.  Tonight I used it for a bit over 2 hours and I got the hang of it again.  It is a much different sound than the 800 and now I remember why I had a learning curve about hearing targets. 
      One of the things that came back very quickly is the ability of the 3030 to be 'played' like a violin.  By that I mean you can get a target and swing on it and make the detector 'sing' really loud.  This was what was happening with the many tent stakes I found.  You could tell that it was a mostly iron target because it was down in the lower right of the screen.  I still dug most of them and some of the other iron pieces were just the same.  The 3030 has clear identification of the target and that lets me choose to dig it or not.  If I was getting better targets then I may not have dug so many of those stakes. 
      When I get tent stakes with the 800 it kinda blanks out rather than sings out.
      The depth was good with the 17.  One of the quarters was 13-14 inches.
      I use it with the Minelab harness because it is a bit bulky and heavy.  When I first got the 17 years ago I used it without a harness for the first 3 weeks and I got something akin to tennis elbow.  That took about 6 weeks to heal and I've never swung the 17 for more than 20 minutes without the harness since.  The screen now has a flaw down the right side where it doesn't show data but I can live with it as a backup.  The battery didn't last too long.  We'll see what happens after this charge up.
      It was a real pleasure being able to turn on the GPS and see where I had found rings in the past.  Many I had transferred but a few are still there and that made me slow down in those areas.  This was an end of the weekend, end of the day hunt and I saw where several detectorists had been out before me.  I'm ok with the results.

• By Edsped
      This little thing actually kills it!
      My cousin and I have been using the pulse dive in salt water exclusively and although it has a small coil, the ability to swing this thing like mad hugely make up for that fact!
      So far I’ve found the design/ quality of the PulseDive to be very ideal for salt water hunting.  The machine simply beeps and buzzes in your hand, is easily audible  through the water and there is practically no maintenance other than just cleaning the rubber seal/gasket every now and then but there is no knobs, cables, headphones or anything that I can see deteriorating on this detector.
      Depth is definitely surprising when digging targets but still decent in air tests with a nickel/10c Aussie coin hitting at 4” air test and depending on minerals in the sand it’ll hit deeper 5-6” even due to its non-motion nature.
      Anyone who wants to try water detecting I highly recommend trying the PulseDive, the small size and lack of headphones make it ridiculously convenient and even stealthy if you want to be discrete or are a bit shy! 
      This isn’t really a review but just a quick mention of what I think is important to know about the machine 👍
      Here is the gold we’ve found on the last few outings 👊👊👊 
      Pulsedive Scuba Detector & Pinpointer

• By Tnsharpshooter
      https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/regional/florida/wwii-land-mine-found-on-vero-beach/67-f09a5534-27fe-4728-a81e-60b41d0880fd