Raking For Gold On The Beach And In The Water

I used a scoop similar to this for finding shark's teeth in Venice, Florida near the pier.  

When you have enough targets in surf/sand you find a way to get them.  Many years ago people would go to the Florida beaches and seek out a pier.  They would find many lost items around the pilings with scoops and shovels.  This was before there were metal detectors.

Mitchel

Steve you really have me thinking about a beach rake, and a Save the Bay T-shirt. I have down days where conditions are not the best at the Bay front beach's, be good to give this ago on those days at the smaller cove beach's. 

• Like 1

Steve, We have a small sheet metal shop that bought a laser cutter to do a job and then the job was cancelled.

I will talk to them about making some of these rakes and find out how much they would cost. I can do that on Wednesday.

In this small town area I know they would love to find something to make their money back after buying the cutter.

• Like 4

One the local beaches here they use machines and rake the entire beach. Not very good for detectorist.

image.png.1b471bf2da47cd0dc2b6dd48f58730ac.png

On a french beachcomber forum a guy filmed with a Go Pro underwater a guy raking a lake with a similar tool .That was pretty cool.I love develloping digging tools.Need to upload a pic of my inverted sand scoop i used in the river nicknamed :The Dredge.This is my workshop sink btw not my kitchen

RR

15790293368838629782967312045984.jpg

• Like 2

I thought of using a mud shovel as the rivers and ponds have a lot of heavy rocks and gravel. Beach scoop doesn't work that great. Don't think any sort of rake would work in these parts other than the beach.

Years ago, I bought plans for a Mercatch sifter ( not correct spelling) for dry and wet sand...apparently they were popular on the quiet east coast....I never did figure out the correct way to use the beast...

BTW, not all beach cleaners have screens...some just rake the trash and seaweed...they won't rob the beach like the screens one do.

• Like 2

A friend of mine bought one of the sharp zig zag Russian rakes about a year ago. He used it a couple times and said he never realized how out of shape he was when pulling it through the sand. Also it would grab any sizeable shells and seaweed and plug up pretty fast and get quite heavy. Probably works better in a soft sand beach environment.

• Like 3