Raking For Gold On The Beach And In The Water

I hope that it is okay to revive this older thread as it pertains to something I have been working on. Recently I ordered one of these sand combs and I should receive it this week. It is very similar to one that I built in the 80's and used in the lake swim areas to find chains although it found shallow rings and coins as well. 

It was hard work and I didn't think it was very efficient but it was fun all the same. Some of you may have seen my post a few days ago about the gold medallions I have found at one particular lake. The hoops are intact so I would assume that the gold chains they were on are somewhere nearby. I made a mental note of the locations and plan on returning to look for the chains with the sand comb. Like I mentioned, it is hard work but at least I won't be going in completely blind and can focus my energy on smaller areas.

In addition to the sand comb I am also eagerly awaiting the arrival of some rake tines similar to the ones in the first video. They are available from Ruslan of Stavr Scoops of Ukraine. I have never used them but I know of a hunter who has found chains with them. He also added that it is pretty challenging physically but, again, I am focusing on small areas where there are higher odds of finding a gold chain.

A friend(and fellow detectorist) and I have dinner bet over my prediction that I can find a gold chain on my first hunt with one of these "primitive" tools. He knows that I will be out there all day if I have to rather than lose a bet so I think he's willing to buy me dinner just to make me suffer. 😉

Sand comb.jpg

• Like 4

My   friend  Tony  is the one who made grave-digger max his titanium     scoop as a  gift.He made me a mertich pull sifter also as a gift.I pulled very small gold,a few chains,coins,and lots of glass on the beach.Also pulled  out bottle caps galore.I even took it in the water one time and got a silver ring even though water ones are smaller. Mine was 30 inches wide.You have to pace  yourself  with this machine.It is  Hard work.I need to get it fixed .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Compass said:

I hope that it is okay to revive this older thread as it pertains to something I have been working on. Recently I ordered one of these sand combs and I should receive it this week. It is very similar to one that I built in the 80's and used in the lake swim areas to find chains although it found shallow rings and coins as well. 

It was hard work and I didn't think it was very efficient but it was fun all the same. Some of you may have seen my post a few days ago about the gold medallions I have found at one particular lake. The hoops are intact so I would assume that the gold chains they were on are somewhere nearby. I made a mental note of the locations and plan on returning to look for the chains with the sand comb. Like I mentioned, it is hard work but at least I won't be going in completely blind and can focus my energy on smaller areas.

In addition to the sand comb I am also eagerly awaiting the arrival of some rake tines similar to the ones in the first video. They are available from Ruslan of Stavr Scoops of Ukraine. I have never used them but I know of a hunter who has found chains with them. He also added that it is pretty challenging physically but, again, I am focusing on small areas where there are higher odds of finding a gold chain.

A friend(and fellow detectorist) and I have dinner bet over my prediction that I can find a gold chain on my first hunt with one of these "primitive" tools. He knows that I will be out there all day if I have to rather than lose a bet so I think he's willing to buy me dinner just to make me suffer. 😉

Sand comb.jpg

This scoop should be produced and sold in MD shops and i am serious which is not often!

RR

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Up until the Nox I would have said you might find some but that Nox loves chains. Good Luck and keep us informed..

These gold chains were all found with the Nox. Only 1 in the water and the rest buried in wet salt sand. Only several inches on any of them. The one on the top did have an attached heart so that was helpful as I'm sure that fine chain wouldn't have been picked up alone.

chains.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Up until the Nox I would have said you might find some but that Nox loves chains. Good Luck and keep us informed..

Thanks Joe, That is the main reason I got the Nox but I use it in fresh water where there seems to be a LOT of competing targets with those single digits TIDs. Never seen another detector in this particular spot in more than 20 years so I think the gold chains are still there.

2 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

My   friend  Tony  is the one who made grave-digger max his titanium     scoop as a  gift.He made me a mertich pull sifter also as a gift.I pulled very small gold,a few chains,coins,and lots of glass on the beach.Also pulled  out bottle caps galore.I even took it in the water one time and got a silver ring even though water ones are smaller. Mine was 30 inches wide.You have to pace  yourself  with this machine.It is  Hard work.I need to get it fixed .

Thanks Dances with Doves, I will only be in the fresh water lake with it for now. Yes 30" might be too wide for the water and I will definitely pace myself- not as young or fit as I was when I used to do this!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

This scoop should be produced and sold in MD shops and i am serious which is not often!

RR

Thanks Rivers rat, I don't know if it will work as well as I hope but looks pretty cool doesn't it? 😄

2 hours ago, okara gold said:

These gold chains were all found with the Nox. Only 1 in the water and the rest buried in wet salt sand. Only several inches on any of them. The one on the top did have an attached heart so that was helpful as I'm sure that fine chain wouldn't have been picked up alone.

chains.jpeg

Seriously impressive okara gold- congrats! I would think that most gold chains are found in the wet sand when conditions have swept away a lot of those competing single digit TIDs like foil and small aluminum bits.

If I recall most, if not all the chains were low single digits 1 to 3, maybe a 5 in there somewhere with a high sensitivity level around 23, beach 1 or 2, I use depending on the incoming waves. Beach 1 is too chatty if the waves are hitting the coil.

• Like 1