3030/17 Beach Hunt

mn90403

It has probably been over a year since I've used my 3030.  Tonight I used it for a bit over 2 hours and I got the hang of it again.  It is a much different sound than the 800 and now I remember why I had a learning curve about hearing targets. 

One of the things that came back very quickly is the ability of the 3030 to be 'played' like a violin.  By that I mean you can get a target and swing on it and make the detector 'sing' really loud.  This was what was happening with the many tent stakes I found.  You could tell that it was a mostly iron target because it was down in the lower right of the screen.  I still dug most of them and some of the other iron pieces were just the same.  The 3030 has clear identification of the target and that lets me choose to dig it or not.  If I was getting better targets then I may not have dug so many of those stakes. 

When I get tent stakes with the 800 it kinda blanks out rather than sings out.

The depth was good with the 17.  One of the quarters was 13-14 inches.

I use it with the Minelab harness because it is a bit bulky and heavy.  When I first got the 17 years ago I used it without a harness for the first 3 weeks and I got something akin to tennis elbow.  That took about 6 weeks to heal and I've never swung the 17 for more than 20 minutes without the harness since.  The screen now has a flaw down the right side where it doesn't show data but I can live with it as a backup.  The battery didn't last too long.  We'll see what happens after this charge up.

It was a real pleasure being able to turn on the GPS and see where I had found rings in the past.  Many I had transferred but a few are still there and that made me slow down in those areas.  This was an end of the weekend, end of the day hunt and I saw where several detectorists had been out before me.  I'm ok with the results.

IMG_20200112_223043.thumb.jpg.e36ceb6b887faa1a807b2e28fb91bdcc.jpg

• Like 4

I went out again today with the 3030 and the 12" coil.  It's time to give some love back to this detector.  I was finding both small targets and deep ones.  I've learned a lot about sounds from using my 800.

I dug one 'iffy' signal and kept digging and digging and I got down 20" in the sand before I got a piece of iron.  It reminded me of some of my abandoned targets in past years.  The 3030 will hear a few targets I simply can't dig.  

Many people say the discrimination on the 3030 is Minelab's best.  I tend to agree.  I don't follow the digital numbers as much as I look at my target trace on the screen and I can see the nickel or gold rings!  It is nice to place a find on the map also.

This might be a good time to buy a used one but I haven't checked the prices so I don't know but it is a darn good beach detector.

Mitchel

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

but I have too many detectors anyway. 

I dont know much, but I do know that deep down you dont believe that.