Show Your Expected Gold Targets

9 hours ago, MannyScoot said:

I have the sound programmed into my auditary temporal lobe ..... Everything I dig is lead or nuggets with my old detector......

Ok, but what about the signals you don't dig?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MannyScoot said:

I have the sound programmed into my auditary temporal lobe ..... Everything I dig is lead or nuggets with my old detector...... I can feel and use the quessing game with a bullet case or iron or pull tab ...... Lead and gold using my SD2200D tone sounds equal and even how deep it is, all by sound and headphones.

Borrowed a GPX 4500 from a friend yesterday and dug some casings, but the main thing is knowing your detector well....... I dug plenty of lead yesterday.....

I have been using my old detector for (5) years and dug thousands of targets.... So I recognize the gold and lead sound...... So it's a 50-50% for me.......

How do you know what the targets were that you did not dig up? Do you believe 100% of the targets you did not dig were not gold? That you have a 100% accuracy rate? If not, what percent is acceptable to you? If you skip 100 targets is it ok for ten of those to be gold? Five? Two?

I’m not being critical here, just curious. I have skipped a lot of targets over the years for various reasons, but I am certain that I have left gold in the ground as a result. I know this because I have dug plenty of “nail signals” that turned out to be gold.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Those that bang on about "I can tell by the sound" are kidding themselves.

There is a field of academia called "behavioral economics" which is related to this phenomenon.  One big category studied is 'confimartion bias' which effectively says we erroneously and selectively agree with and recognize things that are in line with our preconceived notions.  An eye-opening, understandable book written by Dan Ariely is Predictably Irrational which covers this and many related fallacies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Manny,

I have to agree with some of the others, if you are leaving targets, there is a chance that a small percentage could be gold nuggets.  I used the SD2000, SD2100 and SD2200d for about a 8 year span in the mid 90's to early 2000's.  I dug thousands of targets, many nuggets sounded like wire, nails and such.  I'm confident if you are leaving any targets behind with the SD's, you have a chance to leave gold.  I haven't met anyone in the last 25 years that can just dig lead and nuggets with the Minelab SD, GP or GPX detectors and leave all the rubbish in the ground.  

Like I mentioned above, the shape of the nugget, size of the nugget, orientation of the nugget in the ground (laying flat, sideways, at an angle), nature of the gold (solid, porous like a sponge or cystalline) will in fact effect the signal response.  

In closing, if you can still ID these targets without error, you have something over the majority of us on this forum. 

Rob

• Like 3

On 1/13/2020 at 2:29 PM, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

Good lesson for newbies.  You've got to kiss a lot of pigs first!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Gary, I just wrote a piece about this very topic for all those that get discouraged early in the game . . . .

All the best, and thanks for your insight,

Lanny

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

I want to point out something I hear all the time as a dealer.  Many firmly believe "gold" has a certain tone or reading.  Anyone who suggests they can just pick out gold due to the tone, but leave all the lead, brass, casings and other rubbish is being fooled by themselves.  I can personally tell you over the last 20+ years swinging detectors, I have dug many targets that sounded like iron rubbish, double signals, breaking up, screaming loud and so on, that were large gold nuggets!!  That is right, big gold nuggets, some various shapes, sizes and weights, but all sounded like the typical iron rubbish.  

I think the key to "guessing" if you have a gold nugget or not, in my opinion, is more of where the target is located for the most part.  When you have detected enough, you gain a lot of experience on where gold nuggets have been found and where they typically could be.  Everyone at some point will be able to start guessing if the target they are recovering is gold or iron rubbish and will get better at the probability.  

The last couple of trips out, I was working some very trashy placers and every target to me sounded crappy.  However, one of the targets was a small 2 Gram gold nugget, so luckily I stuck with digging what I could until I burned out.  

Just my thoughts on target response.  It will be nice when technology allows us to scan over a target and the Gold Meter on the screen says - GOLD, and don't jump back in forth from iron and gold. 🙂

This is a solid gold post that needs to be internalized by every serious nugget shooter.

Nicely stated!!

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 4