Show Your Expected Gold Targets

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

How do you know what the targets were that you did not dig up? Do you believe 100% of the targets you did not dig were not gold? That you have a 100% accuracy rate? If not, what percent is acceptable to you? If you skip 100 targets is it ok for ten of those to be gold? Five? Two?

I’m not being critical here, just curious. I have skipped a lot of targets over the years for various reasons, but I am certain that I have left gold in the ground as a result. I know this because I have dug plenty of “nail signals” that turned out to be gold.

Truer words were never spoken . . . .

All the best,

Lanny

7 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Took the words out of my mouth.....or should I say....fingers 😂 Unless you see the recovered target you never know for sure. In my early days with my GP 3000 I got so sick & tired of digging .22 shells & there lead bullet heads I started to ignore those loud, in your face, signals that were always a very close to surface target. Some were on a couple of patch areas that gave up some nice amounts of gold to me. The ones I ignored played on my mind that night. So next morning I went straight back. I was fresh, bright eyed & bushy tailed. So I dug them. The day before I was over the heat & getting lazy & that is a habit I have today. Start to ignore those signals that I just can't be bothered digging due to the heat & 'feeling' it is just crap any way. Some of those ones I had ignored the day before, one was a 9 gram slug of gold, one was a 5 gram slug & one was 13.75 grams. They all moved after just two scrapes with the pick. So very shallow & hence the day before thinking...oh yer...just another bloody .22 casing & walking away from it. Ok...some were .22 casings but I learnt a very valuable lesson that day. You just can't tell what a signal is until it is in your hand. FACT. I still shake my head today in disbelieve when I dig a crap sounding target & it morphes into gold. I think to myself....thank god I dug that 'crap' signal. Those that bang on about, I can tell by the sound, are kidding themselves. The ones they leave behind....they will never know for sure. Ok....the majority may well be crap, but, just take my experience from the three I used in my above comment. Nearly one ounce of gold in three pieces, & that is big gold for here, that I so nearly walked away from.

When chasing gold....dig all signals!

Best of luck out there

JW 🤠  

JW, I love your response and your insight to how we get burned out by weather, tiredness, etc. and start to convince ourselves not to dig. Your response is right on the money, or should I say, right on the nugget?

Regardless, great response full of wisdom for those willing to pay attention.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob Allison said:

Thanks Lanny!  Hope all is well on your end.  

Rob

Yes, all is well, just been travelling a lot lately so not on the forums while doing that. (Home for a bit now.)

When the big freeze up here ends, I'll be out chasing the gold again.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

Very fortunate to detect in areas where there is next to nil junk targets., maybe 49 out of 50 will be gold and the 50th will be a projectile usually in perfect condition except for rifling marks.

Now I don't for a minute believe I can tell the difference between lead or gold and as a rule dig every signal.

But I have worked areas before where you come across a pile of shotgun pellets and after digging about 5 or 6 you have a fair indication of what the remaining signals are and just wave over them.

But then you will get that one signal, sounds exactly the same as the others but something in your mind tells you to dig it...and it's gold.

You they go back and dig all the ones you waved over and the rest you would have waved over and they are as you suspected just more shotgun pellets. 

What in your subconscious made you dig that one target that sounded like all the rest?

• Like 1

If you leave a signal you might leave gold is generally accepted. How ever if the time spent digging junk prevent you from covering a lot more ground with gold in it, then leaving a few nuggets behind might be less than the extra ground give you. Well you can only hope.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Hi Mad Fish, You are so right. I sort of have a golden rule now that if a very obvious signal has moved after a couple of light scrapes then I write it off as a surface pellet & move on. If it lives on down a bit more then I will recover it. But just like you said, you will get a signal that sounds like all the rest (pellets) & has moved after a couple of scrapes but something in your mind tells you to dig it...and it is gold. Yep...why is that?:unsure: Intuition, gold gods just smiling down on you? Sometimes for me it is the type of ground that makes me investigate. By type of ground I mean cracks in bedrock or bedrock that suddenly drops off to deeper ground where gold may have got caught on the edge of the bedrock & the drop to deeper ground, like a riffle. It doesn't have to be much of a drop to 'catch' & trap gold. It could be just the structure & make up of the ground that makes me investigate. A lot of ground can just have that horny gold bearing look to it. After a couple of scrapes you recognise that type of ground & recover the target. But then of course I can guarantee that some signals I walked away from that had moved after a couple of scrapes & thinking they are just pellets would have been small gold.

Maybe sometimes there is just a very slight different sound that makes you take more notice. Another thing that gobsmacks me is the number of signals that I have got that I wasn't even sure was a signal. It just seems like a hunch that it was a signal. But there is something that pulls you up. You check, re check, no nothing. A ghost signal? But you know something made you stop in that very first instant but no still nothing. So I scrape a bit of dirt away to get a bit more depth & bingo. Yes...that is something but ever so faint. Those ones always seem to turn out to be gold. In my case small gold but down quite deep. That has happened to me more times than I can remember.

I think the subconscious is a very powerful thing & works for us in ways that we don't even recognise or think about or understand. Stuff just happens & we think WTF in amazement but can't explain it. Maybe it is karma.

Good luck out there

JW 🤠

The things that make us stop . . . .

This is a very interesting read, and I enjoyed reading it.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 8:23 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Ok, but what about the signals you don't dig?

If they scream I don't dig it ...... I also boot swipe and scan again, but gold doesn't scream unless you are in a wash and it sits on top sun baking.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 2